Jalen Johnson's potential

It's kind of slow now and probably will be this summer but I was just thinking about how improved Jalen can be from freshmen to sophomore year. I've heard a lot of good things about him from my athlete friends who've commented that he's the last one out of the gym and was always shooting by himself after hours. He doesn't go out and seems really focused. I'm super pumped to see him next year with some better help around him. 

He also just received player of the week. I can honestly see him surprising a lot of people and being a top 5 scorer on this years team

I'm guilty of thinking this myself at times, but I think that people forget about Jalen when thinking about next year. We're just slotting the transfers and freshmen into the starting lineup, but I think that Jalen is going to have something to say about this. Whether he forces his way into the lineup, or makes himself into a jolt of energy coming off the bench, he's going to be a factor in this team.

I think if he's a good role player off the bench, that's a sign our team is going to be really, really good. 

If he's a starter, it's because he improved his game a lot, which is also a great sign for our team. 

As far as potential, a more physical Watanabe from GW.  And he's a high level player. 

Correct answer: Unlimited

Looking at this roster you have to ask yourself, who sits? Prior to Graves' becoming eligible, you've got 10 players who could see a lot of minutes. Ford has never been one to stretch the rotation past nine, most years 8, so who doesn't get off the bench? Unless, he either decides to go 10 or 11 deep or goes with a "blue" team and bring five in at a time. That rarely happens. I think Jalen will force his way into the lineup. If that happens, who will be the transfer candidates? There can't be many as more than half of the team has already used a redshirt year.

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

Correct answer: Unlimited

Looking at this roster you have to ask yourself, who sits? Prior to Graves' becoming eligible, you've got 10 players who could see a lot of minutes. Ford has never been one to stretch the rotation past nine, most years 8, so who doesn't get off the bench? Unless, he either decides to go 10 or 11 deep or goes with a "blue" team and bring five in at a time. That rarely happens. I think Jalen will force his way into the lineup. If that happens, who will be the transfer candidates? There can't be many as more than half of the team has already used a redshirt year.

Early in the season they will play 10 players. The best players will be determine around January 1-15. Bishop is my bet for a player who falls behind and transfers. After that, it feels like it is too hard to know.

I think under the calm, soft-spoken surface Jalen has an intense competitiveness that we saw emerge on a number of occasions last season. It's something Coach Ford has mentioned before and I think he'll apply that to any battle for playing time as much as a battle against an opponent. Really looking forward to watching his '17-'18, almost as much (though not quite) as J. Good & French. 

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Somebody gets hurt every year.  If Jalen emerges like the people in this thread expect, whoever that is won't get his spot back.

Very true on the injury issue. Bess, Bishop, Foreman, Goodwin and Welmer all have had serious issues with various body parts. Roby has played with a bad thumb and then wrist the past two seasons. It would not be surprising if one or more had a relapse. Never count any player out of the rotation. 

11 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

I put him in my 8 man lineup in janurary with Roby, goodwin, French, graves, ad, Bess and foreman 

I like this 8 man rotation.  It is going to be very interesting to see how Ford plays with line ups. 

If we wanted the Monstars goon squad, think about Foreman, Anthony, French, Bess, and Goodwin all playing on the same floor. 

If Ford wants the 3pt shooting line up-- Graves, Roby, AD, JJ, and Welmer. 

I am having a really hard time waiting for this season to start.

51 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Which is currently only goodwin and potentially graves. 

46 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Are Henriquez and Roby no longer on the roster?  

Glory, these are the kind of stupid comments that get you in trouble.  As brianstl suggests, your comment shows your obvious lack of knowledge of basic Billiken facts, such as who is on the roster. 

Graves has played in 11 collegiate games!.  He has scored 53 points.  Goodwin has yet to suit up for a collegiate game.  AD has scored 585 points and Roby has scored 782.  You start your list with those two and add Goodwin as a highly likely heavy minutes and a Graves as a TBD. Graves will have to outplay Bishop first.  Not a given.   Both AD and Roby have more points than Graves has minutes.  

38 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Glory, these are the kind of stupid comments that get you in trouble.  As brianstl suggests, your comment shows your obvious lack of knowledge of basic Billiken facts, such as who is on the roster. 

I mean brian left out JB himself lol.. perhaps he considers DR and AD to be more 'wings' than 'guards', who're often grouped among front court players.. 

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Graves has played in 11 collegiate games!.  He has scored 53 points.  Goodwin has yet to suit up for a collegiate game.  AD has scored 585 points and Roby has scored 782.  You start your list with those two and add Goodwin as a highly likely heavy minutes and a Graves as a TBD. Graves will have to outplay Bishop first.  Not a given.   Both AD and Roby have more points than Graves has minutes.  

Ok no. My comment was in response to brainstl who mentioned OSU Ford and his guards. This will be the first season where Ford has a roster of his guys mostly. Ford also said he wants goodwin as a  Marcus Smart kind of PG. Ford obviously didn't play that style last year even with Bishop and Roby. Sorry but our most talentented players for PG next year will be Goodwin and Graves. I would add AD but I believe he will be more of a wing player. I think Roby will be more of a wing too. Ford didn't play Roby the same way he did OSU PG last year so why would he do it now?

Discussing self-invented theories on potential is fun. When you get to the end of this one, can you address this one introduced on CBS a few seasons back .....

If a vampire bites a zombie and then bites a human, will the human be a zombie or a vampire?  Or is it a "zom-pire?"  And is zom-pire a better basketball player than a werewolf?

1 minute ago, Taj79 said:

Discussing self-invented theories on potential is fun. When you get to the end of this one, can you address this one introduced on CBS a few seasons back .....

If a vampire bites a zombie and then bites a human, will the human be a zombie or a vampire?  Or is it a "zom-pire?"  And is zom-pire a better basketball player than a werewolf?

I am just looking at trends and recent history to make my theories. All in fun

1 hour ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Ok no. My comment was in response to brainstl who mentioned OSU Ford and his guards. This will be the first season where Ford has a roster of his guys mostly. Ford also said he wants goodwin as a  Marcus Smart kind of PG. Ford obviously didn't play that style last year even with Bishop and Roby. Sorry but our most talentented players for PG next year will be Goodwin and Graves. I would add AD but I believe he will be more of a wing player. I think Roby will be more of a wing too. Ford didn't play Roby the same way he did OSU PG last year so why would he do it now?

You need to tell Coach Ford this because he has gone on record with a different opinion. But I'm sure he will reconsider based on your opinion