OT - NBA Draft

32 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Tatum would've gotten us another year of Crews, but the team would've still likely been bad. It would've been fun to watch him for a year, but probably wouldn't have advanced the program.

Here is a question for you. If Tatum plays one year at SLU, does he still go #3?  I say yes. Scouts look at talent not team record. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is a question for you. If Tatum plays one year at SLU, does he still go #3?  I say yes. Scouts look at talent not team record. 

Look at the #1 pick this year.  Markelle Fultz played for a Washington team that went 9 - 22.  Team performance doesn't really matter much at the top of the draft.  You could also argue that without having to share playing time / scoring opportunities with a host of other McD's All-Americans, Tatum would have put up extremely gaudy scoring numbers with SLU.

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Look at the #1 pick this year.  Markelle Fultz played for a Washington team that went 9 - 22.  Team performance doesn't really matter much at the top of the draft.  You could also argue that without having to share playing time / scoring opportunities with a host of other McD's All-Americans, Tatum would have put up extremely gaudy scoring numbers with SLU.

Dat true!

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

i was thinking about that this morning. I do not think so... part of this draft stock rising was his play in the ACC tournament. He would not have gotten any exposure like that playing on our sorry ass Crews team 

I dont think so. lottery pick, for sure. 

Fultz was going #1 because a pg was needed.  Coach K telling teams how good a kid is just isnt the same as sir Crews telling them.  Tatums name was tossed out  A LOT during the UNC games, with slu his name would have been thrown out against the fordhams. 

Thank you Jayson for saving the SLU MBB program by going to Duke!  If you had picked SLU we would be heading into this year with a HC Crews and his sorry roster of players which would have struggled to be as good as his last two teams.  NO JJ/Foreman/Bess/AD/Graves/Goodwin/French/Howard or Santos.  Also no AC Tate.  Just a friggin disaster with an empty Chaifetz Arena.  JT your wise decision can never be appreciated enough.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I would be pretty surprised if Tatum doesn't get more minutes than that.  Tatum is light years ahead of Brown as an offensive player and the Celtics need guys that can score consistently.  Even if they add Hayward the are going to need Tatum on the court scoring for at least half the game if they are going to take the next step as a team.  If he can't earn 24+ minutes a night then a ton of people have really misread where Tatum's game is offensively at this point.

I mean bump it to 20-25 mins if you'd like, but the Celtics have a ton of quality players and the premier ones (IT, Hayward, Horford, Bradley) are all going to play 30+ MPG. Smart, Brown, Rozier, and Zizic will also get a lot of time. Stevens also likes to dip deep into his bench while experimenting with different line-ups throughout the season. 

There might be more minutes available if one of Bradley/Smart is moved out with Crowder in a potential deal.. but I don't think Tatum's MPG during his rookie season will say much about "where his game is offensively." (Unless he IS getting a ton of minutes, then just send him to the HOF already). 

4 minutes ago, bauman said:

Thank you Jayson for saving the SLU MBB program by going to Duke!  If you had picked SLU we would be heading into this year with a HC Crews and his sorry roster of players which would have struggled to be as good as his last two teams.  NO JJ/Foreman/Bess/AD/Graves/Goodwin/French/Howard or Santos.  Also no AC Tate.  Just a friggin disaster with an empty Chaifetz Arena.  JT your wise decision can never be appreciated enough.

and spot on, program changing decision

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Kawhi Leonard played 24mpg as a rookie for a Western Conference contender primarily because of his ability to defend. He also had really good shot selection as a young player. If Tatum gets 20 mpg for the Celtics as a rookie he will exceed my expectations.

Kawhi wasn't drafted to improve the ability of SA to put points on the score board.  He was joining a team with two top flight scorers.  Boston has one top flight scorer and only really one premier player in Thomas.  They have a bunch of good players, but none of those guys can fill the role of the number 2 scorer on a legit title contender and I really question if there is really a legit title contender number 3 scorer on that roster last season.

If they land Hayward they now have that number two scorer and a guy that might be the best player on that roster overall.  You still need that other scorer.  If you don't land Hayward you need that number 2 scorer.  That is why the Celtics took the guy that was the most NBA ready offensive player in the draft and passed over guys with higher ceilings.  You don't do that to play the guy 20 minutes or less a game and bring him along slowly.  If the Celtics were going to do that the Celtics would have took one of the guys with a higher ceiling.  They took Tatum because the Celtics feel he fills a major role for them right now.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Kawhi wasn't drafted to improve the ability of SA to put points on the score board.  He was joining a team with two top flight scorers.  Boston has one top flight scorer and only really one premier player in Thomas.  They have a bunch of good players, but none of those guys can fill the role of the number 2 scorer on a legit title contender and I really question if there is really a legit title contender number 3 scorer on that roster last season.

If they land Hayward they now have that number two scorer and a guy that might be the best player on that roster overall.  You still need that other scorer.  If you don't land Hayward you need that number 2 scorer.  That is why the Celtics took the guy that was the most NBA ready offensive player in the draft and passed over guys with higher ceilings.  You don't do that to play the guy 20 minutes or less a game and bring him along slowly.  If the Celtics were going to do that the Celtics would have took one of the guys with a higher ceiling.  They took Tatum because the Celtics feel he fills a major role for them right now.

Celtics are not counting on a 19-year old Jayson Tatum to come anywhere near being their 2nd or 3rd option this season 

He was drafted for the future (with playing alongside Brown in mind) and his ceiling is *quite high* 

I can't get the video of Tatum's visit out of my head how crappy of a job Crews did. I mean dozens of students cheering on a program changer while driving around in a golf cart through campus. I will go out on a limb and say TF would have come up with something better.  Anyone have that video still? Ugh!!!

2 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

I can't get the video of Tatum's visit out of my head how crappy of a job Crews did. I mean dozens of students cheering on a program changer while driving around in a golf cart through campus. I will go out on a limb and say TF would have come up with something better.  Anyone have that video still? Ugh!!!

Well in defense of the kids - it was an off again on again visit so everything was short notice.  Besides, Crews probably that was a good crowd.

4 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Celtics are not counting on a 19-year old Jayson Tatum to come anywhere near being their 2nd or 3rd option this season 

He was drafted for the future (with playing alongside Brown in mind) and his ceiling is *quite high* 

Of course Tatum has a high ceiling, but others drafted after him have a higher ceiling.  The thing with Tatum is he had the highest floor in the draft.  He could well turn out to be the best player in the draft.  I know it has almost become cliche to compare Tatum to Pierce, but I really think that comparison fits.

8 hours ago, bauman said:

Second reference I've seen to a "Howard."  Who?  Rashed Anthony?

9 hours ago, brianstl said:

Of course Tatum has a high ceiling, but others drafted after him have a higher ceiling.  The thing with Tatum is he had the highest floor in the draft.  He could well turn out to be the best player in the draft.  I know it has almost become cliche to compare Tatum to Pierce, but I really think that comparison fits.

Paul Pierce was a 21 year old man when he first stepped on the floor for a bad Celtics team.  We're not debating whether Tatum is skilled.  We're questioning whether a skinny 19 year old is physically ready to be the 3rd scorer on a championship contender.  Where is the precedent in recent NBA history?

20 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm not sure. I agree that scouts look at talent over team record. I think the question is whether a team would discount playing against A-10 talent vs PAC-12 talent in Fultz's case. 

20 hours ago, bauman said:

Bauman, this post gets my vote for best Tatum post ever. You are so correct that had he chose SLU, I never thought it likely, Crews would have salvaged his job. God save us. I don't know how many more Ws having Tatum for one year would have resulted in, but if the bulk of Crews Crew stuck around rather than transferred my guess is not more than 14. And, horror of horrors, we'd still likely be stuck with "he who is dead to me" as our HC.

Jayson Tatum, by choosing Duke, actually did more for SLU's program in his one year at Duke than what the Legend did for us in his one year at SLU. In effect  he was an impact player who never played a game in a Bills uniform.

10 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

I hope y'all realize tatum to celtics is amazing for him. He will have a playoff run his rookie year. Celtics completely f'd the Nets and took their pick

nope didnt realize this until you said it.