OT - NBA Draft

Barring a trade for Butler/Porzingis etc., tossing all my eggs in the Tatum to Boston basket. Would love to see him alongside Jaylen Brown, who complements him quite well, and under Brad Stevens, who is a wizard. 

Good write-up here. The Ringer's Kevin O'Connor has been one of the more vocal Tatum supporters, but he certainly has his detractors: https://theringer.com/2017-nba-draft-jayson-tatum-duke-debate-552b94ebc7e6

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think that guy from Duke will have the best career out of anyone in the draft, start to finish. One of the two PGs at the top might have a higher ceiling, but Tatum feels like the type to just be a 20 PPG scorer for 10+ years. 

13 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Congrats to Mr. Tatum now a Boston Celtic. 

So who will be the next STL area NBA player?  

Ramey and Gordon will have a shot if they keep developing. Jordan is probably a longer shot but if he can really develop point guard skills and become a three point threat, then you never know. 

The Bulls got absolutely fleeced for Jimmy Butler. That will go down as a trade as bad as the Barkley to the Suns trade. 

Another year and another guy that cost himself millions by going back to school. Ivan Rabb would have been a mid 1st rounder, but fell into the top of the 2nd round after his dud of a sophomore season. https://sports.yahoo.com/projected-lottery-pick-cals-ivan-rabb-plummets-second-round-035732205.html

I think Tatum will do well with the Celtics. It will be interesting to see if they still go after Gordon Hayward in free agency.

Tatum was very fortunate that the Celtics moved down to 3 and picked him.  Some of the early mock drafts had him going to the dumpster fire in Sacramento, but instead he goes to the team with the best record in the East and gets to play for arguably one of the top NBA coaches.  I will say that I do like Sacramento's draft class a lot, so maybe they'll start turning things around.  

28 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Tatum was very fortunate that the Celtics moved down to 3 and picked him.  Some of the early mock drafts had him going to the dumpster fire in Sacramento, but instead he goes to the team with the best record in the East and gets to play for arguably one of the top NBA coaches.  I will say that I do like Sacramento's draft class a lot, so maybe they'll start turning things around.  

Tatum is going to be a star. Perfect fit for him, and he doesn't have all the pressure of being a "savior". Also avoided the "process" in Philly. 

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

As you all know I am no expert in basketball, certainly not in NBA basketball. However I was watching the Yahoo live NBA draft program and the commentators were talking at length about  a complicated deal between Indiana (? team) and the Celtics involving giving Tatum to Indiana in exchange for someone there they really want to have. If this comes to pass, Tatum's time with the Celts will be short lived. I have no idea if there is truth in this talking or not.

2 hours ago, JMM28 said:

The Bulls got absolutely fleeced for Jimmy Butler. That will go down as a trade as bad as the Barkley to the Suns trade. 

Another year and another guy that cost himself millions by going back to school. Ivan Rabb would have been a mid 1st rounder, but fell into the top of the 2nd round after his dud of a sophomore season. https://sports.yahoo.com/projected-lottery-pick-cals-ivan-rabb-plummets-second-round-035732205.html

I think Tatum will do well with the Celtics. It will be interesting to see if they still go after Gordon Hayward in free agency.

Agree. Bulls are a dumpster fire. Passed up much better (reported) offers at the deadline. Can't believe they didn't take one of the guards available at 7, as Markkanen is one of the bigger question marks.  Dunn needs to pan out, and he did not show well last season. 

Celtics will definitely still take a run at Hayward. I'm guessing Tatum will be eased into the rotation, similar to Brown this past season. Max 15-20 mins a night. I would look for them to trade Crowder if Hayward comes aboard. 

Rabb really got screwed. Martin and his other advisors should have pushed him out the door. Coming back for another season under that pedestrian coach ended up costing him millions. Should always go pro if you are projected in the top half of the first round, at least Calipari gets that much. 

17 minutes ago, Old guy said:

As you all know I am no expert in basketball, certainly not in NBA basketball. However I was watching the Yahoo live NBA draft program and the commentators were talking at length about  a complicated deal between Indiana (? team) and the Celtics involving giving Tatum to Indiana in exchange for someone there they really want to have. If this comes to pass, Tatum's time with the Celts will be short lived. I have no idea if there is truth in this talking or not.

9 minutes ago, waldo027 said:

Did the Bulls really trade their 2nd round pick for cash only? If so, not sure how the league permits that.

Ha forgot about that, too. Some people liked Bell towards the end of round 1. Not sure Bulls fans would rather have the cash.... 

Each team gets $3.5M to use in a transaction (or something like that). Warriors still had that available to them, and sent the full amount to CHI for the pick. 

The Clippers also bought the rights to Jawun Evans from PHIL. 

49 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Agree. Bulls are a dumpster fire. Passed up much better (reported) offers at the deadline. Can't believe they didn't take one of the guards available at 7, as Markkanen is one of the bigger question marks.  Dunn needs to pan out, and he did not show well last season. 

Celtics will definitely still take a run at Hayward. I'm guessing Tatum will be eased into the rotation, similar to Brown this past season. Max 15-20 mins a night. I would look for them to trade Crowder if Hayward comes aboard. 

Rabb really got screwed. Martin and his other advisors should have pushed him out the door. Coming back for another season under that pedestrian coach ended up costing him millions. Should always go pro if you are projected in the top half of the first round, at least Calipari gets that much. 

I would be pretty surprised if Tatum doesn't get more minutes than that.  Tatum is light years ahead of Brown as an offensive player and the Celtics need guys that can score consistently.  Even if they add Hayward the are going to need Tatum on the court scoring for at least half the game if they are going to take the next step as a team.  If he can't earn 24+ minutes a night then a ton of people have really misread where Tatum's game is offensively at this point.

my comment had more to do with the fact he couldn't even land Tatum, given all the ties we had to him. I dont blame Tatum in the long run.  Playing under crews was not worth the hometown kid thing.