Top 144

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, kshoe said:

Summary?

Sorry for the tease, I will give a full summary once I get home. From what I remember they had Goodwin and French as the top two freshmen in the conference and picked SLU to finish 3rd. The really exciting stuff dealt with their evaluations of Goodwin and French, but I don't want to misrepresent their praise of those two (something like French leading the conference in rebounding possibly as soon as his sophomore year and had Goodwin as the top NBA prospect of the incoming freshmen).

45 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Sorry for the tease, I will give a full summary once I get home. From what I remember they had Goodwin and French as the top to freshmen in the conference and picked SLU to finish 3rd. The really exciting stuff dealt with their evaluations of Goodwin and French, but I don't want to misrepresent their praise of those two (something like French leading the conference in rebounding possibly as soon as his sophomore year and had Goodwin as the top NBA prospect of the incoming freshmen).

Awesome. It's a good day to be a Billiken.

i find it hard to believe that henriquez wont start and play likely the most minutes.   really the only thing in the write up i disagree with.   surprisingly well done and i am surprised we got the recognition.   hopefully prophetic.  

On 9/5/2017 at 11:22 AM, hsmith19 said:

I expect national writers to look at things beyond just high school recruiting numbers, and the list to this point suggests as much. You can't expect somebody with no connection to SLU to ignore last year's results or pretend like returning starters don't matter.

H, we have pretty much had a running (but good natured) battle about which team will be left out of the Top 144, Richmond or SLU.  Did I win a beer from you at a Billiken game? 

Now I am finding it hard to believe that Dayton will be predicted to finish above us in the conference.  They don't have much going for them except their reputation.

We are now at the point in the Top 144 rankings that either Dayton or Richmond will be left off the list, predicted as no better than #145 in the country and 10th in the conference.  As I have been writing for months, I can easily see us ranked higher than both of them (certainly higher than Richmond), but I can't understand how one of them could be rated as no better than #145.

Look at the teams ranked from #100-144.  Surely both the Flyers and the Spiders are better than many of those teams.  Also, I think both Richmond and Dayton will finish higher that GM and Lasalle in the conference.

Roy, I agree with your point about AD starting.  It depends on how TF want to play, but I see AD as starting ahead of one of the three projected starters not named Foreman or Goodwin

4 minutes ago, bauman said:

Come on SLU 72 and hsmith19.  Raise your hands.  Not going back to check , but it seems like B Roy might also need to raise his hand.:rolleyes:;)

definitely.   i think i said above i was surprised we got the recognition.   that doesnt count?

[raises hand; holds thicks hand in show of unity and harmony].  I also said I was surprised ... pleasantly.  I'd rather discuss this and the Lindy's preview (to old guy's dismay) then speculating over he-said, she-said on a verbal commitment. 

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

definitely.   i think i said above i was surprised we got the recognition.   that doesnt count?

That is like Old Guy taking both sides of every discussion.  i know you think the Bills are going to be very good this year and are on the bandwagon with me and a few others, you just didn't think that the Top 144 writers knew as much as we know-i think both SLU 72 and hsmith fall into the same category of thinking we will be better than the Top 144 website thought.  So no harm, no foul!

Now we just need to live up to our expectations.  I see a few bumps in the road early on but with a really strong finish to the season.  This team has no relationship to last years' team other than the name on the uniform, and that's why I dispute the Wiz's ceiling on our improvement.

14 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

[raises hand; holds thicks hand in show of unity and harmony].  I also said I was surprised ... pleasantly.  I'd rather discuss this and the Lindy's preview (to old guy's dismay) then speculating over he-said, she-said on a verbal commitment. 

No dismay involved, it is a nice piece that makes us look good and that is nice. Now we need to win enough games during the season to have the ranking these people are estimating.

16 minutes ago, bauman said:

That is like Old Guy taking both sides of every discussion.  

This is the Socratic method Bauman, and I do think the Bills will be very good this year. Now all we have to do is to see them in action.

For the record CollegeSportsMadness.com has traffic that suggests it is barely more popular than  Billikens.com (it gets more traffic but for shorter visits and less clicks--less engaged readers than here).  Ken Pomeroy's website gets way more viewers (and probably a more engaged/informed viewer).   Athlon Sports website (let alone it is rooted in its dead tree division) is 100's of times more popular than CSM.

For a commercial venture CSM is abysmal (but I don't think Joel's getting paid more than a case of Soylent each month).   I think Joel Welser did an OK job writing up the Billikens and the ranking is fair (all the other general problems of ranking other teams still stands).  The notion that CSM is "national media" or meaningful publicity is not accurate (but an obsession has taken hold so keep doing what you need to do to justify it).

27 minutes ago, Old guy said:

No dismay involved, it is a nice piece that makes us look good and that is nice. Now we need to win enough games during the season to have the ranking these people are estimating.

This is the Socratic method Bauman, and I do think the Bills will be very good this year. Now all we have to do is to see them in action.

I jest because I love you, Old Guy! 

JMM, raise your hand.