Top 144

39 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

VCU is an unknown/unproven quantity with some brand recognition. Dayton's in the same boat. I'd expect to see Dayton very soon on this list as well, maybe even before Richmond/SLU.

isnt Dayton supposed to be rather so-so this season?..

ran into a random UD fan in a elevator in Florida last month who said this about UD, "dude this year is going to be brutal"

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, wgstl said:

isnt Dayton supposed to be rather so-so this season?..

ran into a random UD fan in a elevator in Florida last month who said this about UD, "dude this year is going to be brutal"

Yeah, I guess one possibility we haven't discussed on here is that Dayton gets left out of the top 144 altogether and both SLU and Richmond make it. Seems like a longshot, but so does putting Dayton in the top 60 or so this year.

Putting Dayton in the top half of the A10 is a risk. They have a new coach. They lost their recruiting class and had to scrape one together, and those rarely wind up staying together in the long term. They've got 6 freshmen and 6 returners. Of those 6 returning players, only 1 was in the top 5 in scoring average. One key returner, Josh Cunningham, missed most of last season with an injury. They'll either be starting a freshman (Jalen Crutcher) or John Crosby at PG; Crosby has been wildly inconsistent, just like senior Darrell Davis. Xeyrius Williams made a nice jump as a sophomore but as the leading returning scorer, can he actually be 'the man' on a college team? I don't see it. I'm also not even factoring in Sam Miller, who was a role player at best but is suspended indefinitely for his wild drunk night out, and subsequent arrest and jail fight.

So they have even more question marks than SLU, and not as much talent, as far as I can tell. Anyone putting Dayton above SLU in preseason rankings is doing it based on past performance and not what's actually there.

13 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

I would like to say Ford has less question marks after a year than a Dayton team losing a lot of seniors and Kostas with a new coach. Ford's OKState teams would have destroyed the A10

They would have consistently finished near the top of the A10 and won some titles.  They wouldn't have destroyed the A10.  During Travis's time at OSU the A10 produced 8 sweet 16 teams and one Elite 8 team.  Every Season from 08-09 through 12-13 with one exception Xavier was a better basketball team than OSU using multiple different ways to judge a team.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

They would have consistently finished near the top of the A10 and won some titles.  They wouldn't have destroyed the A10.  During Travis's time at OSU the A10 produced 8 sweet 16 teams and one Elite 8 team.  Every Season from 08-09 through 12-13 with one exception Xavier was a better basketball team than OSU using multiple different ways to judge a team.

I guess I meant the current A-10 league. Losing Xavier was a big loss. I wish if we don't get promoted to a better league, at least some of these lower performing schools get booted 

VCU has been pretty close to a Xavier-quality replacement since they joined the league. They will be down this year, but it's not like that trade by itself made the A10 appreciably worse. What sucked was losng Xavier and Temple at the same time. Butler only lasted a year, and none of the other replacements (ie, Davidson) has really been at that level since joining the league.

3 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

VCU has been pretty close to a Xavier-quality replacement since they joined the league. They will be down this year, but it's not like that trade by itself made the A10 appreciably worse. What sucked was losng Xavier and Temple at the same time.

Didn't the A-10 also add Davidson around that same time?  If so, then they are a pretty close in quality replacement for Temple.  I think the biggest problem for the A-10 right now is the turnover in coaches at two of the league's better programs, Dayton and VCU.  I don't expect them to stay down too long.

Davidson has probably been as good as Temple since the switch, since Temple has been down since leaving. But Davidson has not been at the level Temple was their last few years in the A10, when they were fighting with Xavier for conference titles. Maybe I was expecting too much, but Davidson hasn't done as well in the A10 as I hoped.

Update on current status of the Top 144 list;   If this topic doesn't interest you then skip the rest of this post.

63 spots remaining in the following conferences:

ACC----10;  AAC-----5;  A10-------4;  Big 12-----8;  Beast-----7;   B1G ----9;   Colonial----1;  CUSA ----1;  MWC ----2;  Pac 12 ----6;  SEC ----8;  WCC ----2.

The editors  are stuck in the "V" schools,  the last 3 named Vandy, VCU and Vermont.

The more some of you post about Dayton the more it seems like they might be the A10 odd man out, instead of either Richmond or SLU.

Edited by bauman
typo

I understand how it was explained to me that we would be in the Top 144 and at the time I was accepting it but now that we are in the 50's are people really thinking we are going to be on it.  I realize it doesn't mean anything one way or the other but what am I missing here or is this just one big punk by some posters?

imo if we were going to be on this list, it would have happened about 80 spots ago as the national media never has given the billikens their just due.   even in the claggett highmark h years they were very late in giving us any credit.    rickma's teams (when crewsie was running the show) was late before we were recognized as a top 20 team when we were beating nearly everyone till we ran out of gas.    i think we shouldnt give this stupid list any credibility and quit wishing for something that just isnt going to happen.   hope i am wrong and we are top 25, but they do not know what we know about our transfers and freshmen.   a whole new team that is superior to what was on the floor the previous season isnt normal.  

According the Atlantic 10 page on College Sports Madness, the Billikens have two of the top three men's basketball recruits in the conference.  They appear to consider Goodwin the conferences top incoming recruit.  To me that means it isn't inconceivable that SLU would be in the top four of the conference, in their estimation.  Maybe No. 59 of the Top 144.

54 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I understand how it was explained to me that we would be in the Top 144 and at the time I was accepting it but now that we are in the 50's are people really thinking we are going to be on it.  I realize it doesn't mean anything one way or the other but what am I missing here or is this just one big punk by some posters?

Actually, if you are referring to my reply to you, I did not say that we would be in the top 144 list, just that (now) 4 of the 5 remaining possible schools in the conference will make  the top 59 (now) and one will be considered no better than #145. 

There are still 4 A-10 schools that will make the top 144 list.  I see only 5 possibilities, URI, Bonnies, Dayton, Richmond and SLU.  All along I was thinking that we would make the list and Richmond would not, but based on recent posts in this thread I now see that Dayton is questionable.  However, I still think Richmond will be left out instead of Dayton (based on reputation) and SLU based on talent coming into the program.  I do not think URI or the Bonnies are anything but solid as the 2 top teams in the A-10 predicted order. 

Guestimate :  URI  (25-35);  St. Bon (35-45);  Dayton and SLU (50-59)

2 hours ago, bauman said:

Actually, if you are referring to my reply to you, I did not say that we would be in the top 144 list, just that (now) 4 of the 5 remaining possible schools in the conference will make  the top 59 (now) and one will be considered no better than #145. 

There are still 4 A-10 schools that will make the top 144 list.  I see only 5 possibilities, URI, Bonnies, Dayton, Richmond and SLU.  All along I was thinking that we would make the list and Richmond would not, but based on recent posts in this thread I now see that Dayton is questionable.  However, I still think Richmond will be left out instead of Dayton (based on reputation) and SLU based on talent coming into the program.  I do not think URI or the Bonnies are anything but solid as the 2 top teams in the A-10 predicted order. 

Guestimate :  URI  (25-35);  St. Bon (35-45);  Dayton and SLU (50-59)

I am sorry I do not remember who responded to my question but I thought they said that the people compiling the 144  used the conference preseason polls to help guide them.  If that is so, then if we were picked ahead of some who have made the 144 then in theory we should be on the list.  At this point I am starting to really wonder if we are considered to be in the top 60 - seems high to me.

7 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

just saying guys... 2nd post in this thread.... almost like i know somebody 

58 means our number gets announced on Wednesday.  At this point, I don't think you can be too far off, unless we are left out of the rankings, meaning we are 145+. 

As I mentioned a couple of posts above, I now see us as between 50-59, which is way higher than I originally thought we would be ranked.  As with a couple of other posters, I think we will actually be better than that come February and get a bid after the A 10 tournament.

Give me some more Blue Kool-aid.

27 minutes ago, bauman said:

58 means our number gets announced on Wednesday.  At this point, I don't think you can be too far off, unless we are left out of the rankings, meaning we are 145+. 

As I mentioned a couple of posts above, I now see us as between 50-59, which is way higher than I originally thought we would be ranked.  As with a couple of other posters, I think we will actually be better than that come February and get a bid after the A 10 tournament.

Give me some more Blue Kool-aid.

Read Lindy's preview! All Billiken fans should get a copy and some might need a cigarette after reading. 

17 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

just saying guys... 2nd post in this thread.... almost like i know somebody 

Auburn, today at #59.  If we get announced tomorrow at #58, your June prediction, I will never doubt anything you write on this message board.