Top 144

Thank you Wiz. I am not concerned about the technicalities of the Mizzou discussion, this is not my cup of tea. However I wanted the rationale for the 2 letter range for improvement or deterioration. The mention that this corresponds (loosely) to 2 SDs is OK with me. Every grading, rating system, has to be taken as a rough approximation of reality since there are so many factors involved that require expert estimation. The 2 standard deviation is a fine limit for an area of possibilities that may occur in real life. Reaching above or below this becomes an exercise in analysis of asymptotic curves, in other words a waste of time for a rating or ranking system that would require a non available level of correctness for the many factors included in the system. Appreciate your answer, thanks.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also don't know how mizzou can win 2 conference games and 4 less overall and be an entire letter grade above SLU. If SLU was a D, Mizzou was a D, just because they are too scared to play us we won't know who was better but slu and Mizzou are much the same in transformation. You are right, slu has players who know the system and have been around (transfers) and two top recruits. However Mizzou has NBA level talent and a top 5 draft pick next year. System is going to focus on him and they will be significantly better next year too

1 hour ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Also don't know how mizzou can win 2 conference games and 4 less overall and be an entire letter grade above SLU.

Because their schedule was tougher. This is not rocket science.

GoryDaze now gets credit for the only two usernames I have ever added to my ignore list...

Also don't know how mizzou can win 2 conference games and 4 less overall and be an entire letter grade above SLU. If SLU was a D, Mizzou was a D, just because they are too scared to play us we won't know who was better but slu and Mizzou are much the same in transformation. You are right, slu has players who know the system and have been around (transfers) and two top recruits. However Mizzou has NBA level talent and a top 5 draft pick next year. System is going to focus on him and they will be significantly better next year too

giphy.gif

I always trust in The Wiz.

LSU had Ben Simmons 1 draft pick in the NBA 2016.

I am sure the LSU team was built around Simmons and look what happened LSU finished 19-14, 11-7 in the SEC.

This could happen to Missouri but I agree they will be significantly better.

Wiz, I think you've done this before, but can you show the numerical ranking for teams listed in each of your letter grade categories? (i.e. A+ means 1-15, A is 1+ to 35, etc.)

I think once you do that, it will be obvious to people why its so hard to move more than 2 letter grades in any given year....it's a really long way to go. 

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

I always trust in The Wiz.

LSU had Ben Simmons 1 draft pick in the NBA 2016.

I am sure the LSU team was built around Simmons and look what happened LSU finished 19-14, 11-7 in the SEC.

This could happen to Missouri but I agree they will be significantly better.

And of course #1 NBA Draft Choice Fultz lead Washington to a 9-22 record, 2-16 in the Pac 12, last season.  That's not a good trend.

And +1 on the Wiz. That dude is smart.

These guys are coming on here thinking they're better than the Wiz? The fycking Wiz?? You know what happened to the last guy that thought that? MB73 hasn't been heard from in a long time. 

4 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Two seasons ago Martin had four future NBA draft picks (including the #3 pick), Jordan Matthews and Kameron Rooks.  That team lost in the first round to Hawaii.  My guess is that the Wiz had that team rated as a flat A. 

Mizzou won't have close to that kind of talent next season for Martin.  How do you think Mizzou is going to some how be able to equal or exceed those Cal results two years ago.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

And of course #1 NBA Draft Choice Fultz lead Washington to a 9-22 record, 2-16 in the Pac 12, last season.  That's not a good trend.

And +1 on the Wiz. That dude is smart.

Better evidence, I tell my Mizzou friends that think they are going to the big dance to take a step back and watch them play first.

5 hours ago, kshoe said:

Wiz, I think you've done this before, but can you show the numerical ranking for teams listed in each of your letter grade categories? (i.e. A+ means 1-15, A is 1+ to 35, etc.)

I think once you do that, it will be obvious to people why its so hard to move more than 2 letter grades in any given year....it's a really long way to go. 

This will be as of  April of 2017....

It changes a bit every year but this will give you the idea.

A+....1-17

A.......18-32

A-.......32-51

B+.......52-77

B...........78-103

B-...........104--132

C+...........133-16!

C.............162-189

C-............190-216

D+............217-244

D...............245-272

D-..............273-300

F+...............301-317

F..................318-335

F-..................336-351

The difference between teams with the same grade should be statistically insignificant.  

As you can see it is quite a move to make a full 2 letter jump...even in the middle (C+ to C-) where teams and numbers tend to bunch up.. 

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

Two seasons ago Martin had four future NBA draft picks (including the #3 pick), Jordan Matthews and Kameron Rooks.  That team lost in the first round to Hawaii.  My guess is that the Wiz had that team rated as a flat A. 

Mizzou won't have close to that kind of talent next season for Martin.  How do you think Mizzou is going to some how be able to equal or exceed those Cal results two years ago.

Good job....You are correct....I had Cal at A

Cal was a 4 seed against 13 seed Hawaii...a weaker team from a weaker conference.  Cal should have won by at least 5....instead lost by 11...not a great Martin moment.

21 minutes ago, Zink said:

We have to be ahead of them, no? 

Not so sure we will be. LaSalle played w/ a bunch of transfers last year and most of them are back. Taj Mahal 79 please correct me if I'm wrong here. They finished at .500 and ahead of us. Whether this blog ranks us ahead of them depends upon how they assess the impact of our transfers and FR, a pretty obvious point, but I'm not so sure they'll be as impressed as we fans with what Travis has accomplished in that regard.

Of course Goodwin and French are both better than average A10 recruits, so that might put us ahead of LaSalle. Goodwin especially. After reading the LaSalle report,  we shouldn't have to wait long to see what these guys think about SLU. Right now, my guess is if we don't make the cut by 110 we ain't gonna be listed.

Here is a topic for discussion.  Who will match up with the BJ Johnson's of the world?  He shoots the three and also takes it to the hoop.  Averaged 6.3 boards per game.  Those 6'7" athletes have been a historical nightmare for the Billikens.

What we don't know is how well any of the transfers defend in Ford's system. It is also a big transition from defending in HS to defending in college.  Is Johnson strong enough to handle someone basically his size?  Do you put Roby on these guys and give up 3+ inches?  Time and a few games will tell.

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is a topic for discussion.  Who will match up with the BJ Johnson's of the world?  He shoots the three and also takes it to the hoop.  Averaged 6.3 boards per game.  Those 6'7" athletes have been a historical nightmare for the Billikens.

What we don't know is how well any of the newcomers defend. It is also a big transition from defending in HS to defending in college.   Is Johnson strong enough to handle someone basically his size?  Time and a few games will tell.

Someone must have done it. On our March 1st game with LaSalle BJ was only 3 for 15 and only 1 for 8 in 3 land. He had 8 total pts (hardly fouled him) in 37 minutes that night.

I don't follow the other A-10 teams as closely as some of you, but if 8 other schools are going to be ranked ahead of us (in this dumb ranking) does it make sense that it might be these schools---URI; VCU; Dayton; St. Joe; Richmond; GW; Davidson and SBU?