Rule Changes for Upcoming Season

-the article doesn't address how far onto the court the coach's box extends...

-on the shot clock change on fouls in the frontcourt, if this is to give an advantage to the defense I would rather adjust the move to two free throws to more than 10 fouls, I think there is an advantage to the defense by taking away 10 seconds. If I am on offense, not sure I like the reduced time to take a shot

-I was not aware there was a need to address where in bounds plays start but I guess this could lead to more successful in bounds plays as the throw in location would be known in more situations

34 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-on the shot clock change on fouls in the frontcourt, if this is to give an advantage to the defense I would rather adjust the move to two free throws to more than 10 fouls, I think there is an advantage to the defense by taking away 10 seconds. If I am on offense, not sure I like the reduced time to take a shot

-I was not aware there was a need to address where in bounds plays start but I guess this could lead to more successful in bounds plays as the throw in location would be known in more situations

I see what you did there. It seems like some coaches are never on the floor and others should have a uniform on.

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-on the shot clock change on fouls in the frontcourt, if this is to give an advantage to the defense I would rather adjust the move to two free throws to more than 10 fouls, I think there is an advantage to the defense by taking away 10 seconds. If I am on offense, not sure I like the reduced time to take a shot.

I think you misunderstood that one.  It used to be that a defensive foul not resulting in free throws would reset the shot clock its full length.  I don't know when that rule was changed.

The panel also approved a rule permitting a reset of the shot clock to 20 seconds when the ball is inbounded in the frontcourt after a foul by the defense. If more than 20 seconds remains on the shot clock, the shot clock will not be reset.

This doesn't take away any seconds but adds to it.  Let's say there are 10 seconds left on the shot clock and the team on defense fouls the ballhandler by reaching in, making the fifth or earlier team foul of the half.  No free throws; the team with possession inbounds with 20 seconds on the shot clock.  They get a full possession, minus the 10-second allotment to get the ball across halfcourt.  If there are 25 seconds left on the shot clock when the foul happens, the inbounds play will begin with 25 seconds left on the shot clock.  The offense is never penalized for the defense's foul.

Now if the foul happens when the ball is in the backcourt -- like during a havoc-VCU-style press called correctly -- I guess the shot clock would be reset to the full 30 seconds after the foul (five or fewer team fouls).

I'm interpreting the article to mean that there will be no change when the foul results in free throws.

4 hours ago, Cowboy said:

I wondered that too, and have for years, because I was always under the impression that the coach can't step onto the court. Apparently he can:

Art. 2. A 3-foot line shall be extended in both directions from the sideline, so that the coaching-box restriction is evident.

I read this that he can walk out three feet. No? 

It will be quite interesting to see how the new screening rule will be enforced.  "Now was the inside of his feet outside of his shoulders?  Let's get an instant replay and get some calibers out to measure."   Wow.  Get some wide bodies out there to screen.....no skinny guys allowed to set screens.  Think about it.  Many, many screens in the past have been set with feet wider than shoulder width. 

39 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

It will be quite interesting to see how the new screening rule will be enforced.  "Now was the inside of his feet outside of his shoulders?  Let's get an instant replay and get some calibers out to measure."   Wow.  Get some wide bodies out there to screen.....no skinny guys allowed to set screens.  Think about it.  Many, many screens in the past have been set with feet wider than shoulder width. 

Brian Conklin might have been in trouble.

45 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Brian Conklin might have been in trouble.

You know that is what is crazy.  His screens would have the same bruising effect.  Why are we worried where the feet a stationed?  This new rule might increase the possibility of Conklin getting knocked off his feet too, with a less stable base.  Should we send the NCAA videos?