Other College BB Discussion

For the three Illini fans on this board, you might be interested in this article from the Chicago Trib on the newcomers and the outgoing players on the Illini roster.  The author bashes Tilmon pretty hard and calls Pickett a Valley Player. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-illinois-basketball-transfers-greenstein-spt-0527-20170526-column.html

50 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

For the three Illini fans on this board, you might be interested in this article from the Chicago Trib on the newcomers and the outgoing players on the Illini roster.  The author bashes Tilmon pretty hard and calls Pickett a Valley Player. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-illinois-basketball-transfers-greenstein-spt-0527-20170526-column.html

Tilmon - he has "a ton of issues"    Wow!

37 minutes ago, ACE said:

Tilmon - he has "a ton of issues"    Wow!

I thought the article seemed like a sour grapes piece about the de-committs.  I would have been excited to have both of those players signed with SLU.

I think Tilmon could be a high risk high reward player.

Knowing what we know about Tilmon and Picket today how would the posters feel if both would have signed with SLU?

CBFan you post an interesting question. The real issue as I see it is how did Ford deal with these issues, did he decide to go full throttle to try to get them, or not. The answer is he did not. I feel much better about someone that is a team player rather than about some kind of me, me, me type of player. 

35 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I thought the article seemed like a sour grapes piece about the de-committs.  I would have been excited to have both of those players signed with SLU.

I think Tilmon could be a high risk high reward player.

Knowing what we know about Tilmon and Picket today how would the posters feel if both would have signed with SLU?

There certainly could be some sour grapes in there, but the author was complimentary about Coleman-Landis who is transferring out, saying he was one of the best shooters in the Big Ten.

You pose an interesting question.  In light of today's SLU roster, you have to add, instead of which player.  Of course the one open scholarship could go to one of the two, but then likely Anthony or Santos would not have been signed.  There was something going on with the SLU-Pickett relationship that none of us know about.  Frank C and Scott both reported it was going to happen, but of course it didn't.  I would need to know what the issue is to say yeah, give him a schollie.  Absent that knowledge, no on Pickett.

As far as Tilmon over Anthony or Santos, probably a good trade.  I have to believe that Ford and Tate are strong enough leaders to insure no single player undermines the team.  Still would like a little understanding on 'the issues'.  But give him a Blue Jersey.

34 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

How does a player of his caliber fall all the way to the NAIA level. Must really want to work for CVS.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

You pose an interesting question.  In light of today's SLU roster, you have to add, instead of which player

I agree that should be added to the question.

Even though it did not work out I am really happy with the team this season and think 2018-2019 when Gordon and Thatch are added that this team will be something special.

15 hours ago, Major Majerus said:

I'm assuming Pickett turned down a redshirt year from us.  I wish he had signed - I think it would've worked out for us & him.

That's one possible scenario.  Another is he wanted a discussion on playing time next season and Ford wouldn't commit to anything.  We will be deep at wing, both this season and next season.  I guess none of us MBM's will ever know why this didn't happen.

Presumably this is the brother of known ogre and former NM St player Sim Bhullar who was dominated by Dwayne Evans in a literal David vs Goliath match-up back in the 2013 NCAA tournament.

Unfortunately, Tanveer is "only" 7-2, 285 compared to Sim who was 7-5, 360.

9 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Presumably this is the brother of known ogre and former NM St player Sim Bhullar who was dominated by Dwayne Evans in a literal David vs Goliath match-up back in the 2013 NCAA tournament.

Unfortunately, Tanveer is "only" 7-2, 285 compared to Sim who was 7-5, 360.

He is Sim's brother. I'd be ok with renewing the SLU-MSU series for a year just to play against another ogre.

I was on the 247 recruiting site and looked up Mr. Pickett.  There is no Crystal Ball prediction for him.  Offers listed include Illinois, Illinois State, Loyola, Drake, UIC and Tennessee State.  SLU is listed but it says No Offer, same with Xavier.  I have no idea how accurate this is, but when I linked into Pickett's visit to Illinois, it did show Tilmon at Missouri. So at least part of this story was correct.  (Apparently they visited the same day.) 

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Javon-Pickett-at-Belleville-East-151425/CurrentExpertPredictions

Click on his name to see the offers and click on the Illinois visit date for more details.