Ford on KSDK with Frank

42 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Is this just a random thought you pulled out of your ass? Losing Godon to Mizzou? Losing local recruits if we don't meld fast enough? What gives you any indication Martin can build and win consistently?  Take you Mizzou talk to Tigerboard. 

That was a solid post. I agree with everything he said and I hate Mizzou. We are set up to mesh much faster with the transfers already being around the team. I think this is a plus for SLU in the SLU vs Mizzou saga.  I don't expect a slow start from us this year. We will be physically superior to many of the teams we play.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Is this just a random thought you pulled out of your ass? Losing Godon to Mizzou? Losing local recruits if we don't meld fast enough? What gives you any indication Martin can build and win consistently?  Take you Mizzou talk to Tigerboard. 

Haha yes, I'm just a Mizzou troll with no place on this forum. I should be banned or my posts should be limited just like I've seen calls for other to be banned when people don't agree with their posts.

Recruiting and maintaining players is a 24/7 365 day job. Players want one, all, or a combination of the following things:

1) Playing time

2) Being part of successful team

3) Being coached by good coaches (or a coach they trust)

4) Being prepared and/or showcased for the NBA

5) (***This one is only for some) home-town glory

I am glad Gordon has committed. I am excited Gordon has committed. I want to see Gordon as a Billiken. I think chances are he will remain committed.

We have seen so many instances of kids transferring or decommitting or transferring for a combination of the 5 reasons I gave. Let's not act like Gordon is in the bag and there i no more work to be done to see him fully in a Billiken uniform. Recruiting is a cut-throat game that doesn't end till the kid is on campus. We saw it with Tilmon and Pickett. We saw it with the Lawson twins and how the situation in Memphis wasn't good enough to keep making them want home-town glory.  

There is a reason Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and the rest of the blue bloods get the top players year in and year out. Good players want to play on good teams. Yes home-town glory is an attractor but not the end all be all for all players. At the end of the day, all we have in the bag is 12-21 season, good recruits, and much optimism (I too am optimistic). The staff and the team now has to continue to work to show that this is a program where good players can come and thrive. It is the nature of the college game. You must seek success and then seek to maintain it. 

You disagree with what I said about early next season being key to attracting and maintaining recruits? Great! Let's talk about why you think results next season wont really impact recruiting. I sincerely want to hear your viewpoints because that is why I joined this forum. I joined to learn more about Billiken basketball, college basketball in general, and to learn from viewpoints different than my own. 

I will not take my talk to Tigerboard because I am SLU fan and any mentions I have made about Mizzou have been as they relate to SLU. College basketball is a competition that involves many schools. Sometimes mentioning another school is pertinent...and ok to do...

I don't understand why some posters here freak out so much about mentions of other programs. 

SLU still has work to do to maintain recruiting success and I think our performance on the court will be a part of that work. NOW, would you are to share why it is that you don't think this will be the case? I am sincerely interested in your viewpoint.

The main reason why the results of the 2017-18 season won't really help (or hurt) recruiting for the 2018 class is that most of the top players will have committed to programs before the season starts and will have signed their letters of intent near the very beginning of the season.

Jordan Goodwin and Hasahn French are SLU's 2017 recruits; was there a risk of not signing them because of the ensuing 12-21 record of 2016-17 — a record which looked even worse in the non-conference portion of the season?

18 hours ago, 615Billiken said:

Haha yes, I'm just a Mizzou troll with no place on this forum. I should be banned or my posts should be limited just like I've seen calls for other to be banned when people don't agree with their posts.

Recruiting and maintaining players is a 24/7 365 day job. Players want one, all, or a combination of the following things:

1) Playing time

2) Being part of successful team

3) Being coached by good coaches (or a coach they trust)

4) Being prepared and/or showcased for the NBA

5) (***This one is only for some) home-town glory

I am glad Gordon has committed. I am excited Gordon has committed. I want to see Gordon as a Billiken. I think chances are he will remain committed.

We have seen so many instances of kids transferring or decommitting or transferring for a combination of the 5 reasons I gave. Let's not act like Gordon is in the bag and there i no more work to be done to see him fully in a Billiken uniform. Recruiting is a cut-throat game that doesn't end till the kid is on campus. We saw it with Tilmon and Pickett. We saw it with the Lawson twins and how the situation in Memphis wasn't good enough to keep making them want home-town glory.  

There is a reason Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and the rest of the blue bloods get the top players year in and year out. Good players want to play on good teams. Yes home-town glory is an attractor but not the end all be all for all players. At the end of the day, all we have in the bag is 12-21 season, good recruits, and much optimism (I too am optimistic). The staff and the team now has to continue to work to show that this is a program where good players can come and thrive. It is the nature of the college game. You must seek success and then seek to maintain it. 

You disagree with what I said about early next season being key to attracting and maintaining recruits? Great! Let's talk about why you think results next season wont really impact recruiting. I sincerely want to hear your viewpoints because that is why I joined this forum. I joined to learn more about Billiken basketball, college basketball in general, and to learn from viewpoints different than my own. 

I will not take my talk to Tigerboard because I am SLU fan and any mentions I have made about Mizzou have been as they relate to SLU. College basketball is a competition that involves many schools. Sometimes mentioning another school is pertinent...and ok to do...

I don't understand why some posters here freak out so much about mentions of other programs. 

SLU still has work to do to maintain recruiting success and I think our performance on the court will be a part of that work. NOW, would you are to share why it is that you don't think this will be the case? I am sincerely interested in your viewpoint.

Once again, you are off base.  Results (wins and losses) do impact recruiting.  That is not a new or controversial concept you appear to be advancing. 

As others have said, both teams will have the bulk of their recruiting next year complete before next year's results take place so how soon SLU meshes or melds together will not affect the upcoming recruiting class (2017-18) but will affect the following year's class (2018-19).

And again, I am not taking the bait of comparing SLU's rebuild of their program with that of Mizzou -- be reminded that Mizzou is not on our schedule or in our league - because I don't want to discuss Mizzou basketball.  I will say, though, that I like the rebuild being undertaken by Ford with four (4) year players, with a good mix of new Frosh along with those who already have some college experience under their belts and now with a graduate transfer to help now; that I like recruiting not only good players but with players who are being recruited to fill certain roles and to complement their teammates in that, at the end of the day, basketball remains a team game; that I am thankful Coach Ford is not confusing normal recruiting with the Quin Snyder All Star Team approach of assembling the highest level players available regardless of position or if their skill sets are duplicative; and that I am not going to recklessly spread baseless rumors that young, high school student athletes' words and statements mean nothing (Gordon) and that changing one's mind is normal and routine (Tilmon).  Whether you meant it or not, Tilmon changed his mind not only or because the great Cuonzo Martin was hired by Mizzou but also, and I would suggest more importantly, because the head coach and assistant coaches who had recruited him for months/years were fired, that other recruits/players (his soon to be teammates) also changed their minds and that he decided, after careful thought, that he did not want to play for the Illini's new coaches even though their jerseys, buildings and conference remained the same.  Coach Ford is not leaving SLU so your comparison is not only inappropriate but it is wrong.

So I tweeted Ford and told him myself and a few buddies rented a house and are planning on going to the Butler game. Ford responded with can't wait to see you guys up there thanks for the support. Then some idiot Mizzou fans responds to both of us with a pic of the odds that say Mizzou is 20-1 to win the whole thing. God these guys need to get a life. SAD