Ford on KSDK with Frank

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Though Coach Majerus had yet to pass away when Mike signed in Nov., 2012, it was painfully obvious he'd coached his last game, and I doubt he'd been recruiting Mike.  When Reggie committed and signed in April, 2013, Crews had become the head coach, officially.  Crews was the coach responsible for bringing both of them to SLU.

I understand but technically was RM listed as head coach in the fall - good point about Reggie signing in the spring.  

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

I am over wanting to play Mizzou.  I don't really see the upside for us anymore.  Why give Mizzou another game every other year in St. Louis?   The best thing we have going for us on the local recruiting front is the chance to play in front of your family and friends multiple times without them having to travel.  No need for SLU to provide more games in the city for Mizzou to offer local kids.

I would rather play Butler, X, K State, Vandy, etc.

exactly.   mi$$ouri needs this game more than we do.   if we would agree to such a game it should at least be 2 at chaifetz and one at mi$$ouri

Finally watched the interview. Ford just gets me too hyped up. Polar opposite of (Fire) Crews. 

I'd do a home and home with Mizzou. Probably doesn't benefit us as much as them but I want to see it happen. I was all of about 7 years old last time it happened. 

Ford is a master recruiter. This is the first time I've been completely unsure of the starters. You could argue that any of the freshman were too highly touted to sit, but then you have these transfers with legitimate resumes and starting experience, and then you have a grad transfer with limited playing time, but great size and a reputation for defense. And you have a returning  senior who may have turned the corner and a rising sophomore in forward who projects as a prototypical stretch 4.

1 hour ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Ford is a master recruiter. This is the first time I've been completely unsure of the starters. You could argue that any of the freshman were too highly touted to sit, but then you have these transfers with legitimate resumes and starting experience, and then you have a grad transfer with limited playing time, but great size and a reputation for defense. And you have a returning  senior who may have turned the corner and a rising sophomore in forward who projects as a prototypical stretch 4.

Good post. I imagine the lineup at the beginning of the season will be different than the one at the end of the season.

With that being said, I would bet Foreman will start and be a huge piece of the puzzle.

kshoe!  Buddy!  Love the blue type.  What I believe Ash stated was that he was sitting on the Nova bench in Anaheim watching Majerus' team blitz his Wildcats and that's when he noticed the Bills and put them on his list of possible landing spots.  I believe he said he was impressed as all get out and wanted to play that style/way with that coach.  He signed with Saint Louis because of what he saw with Majerus.  That continued with the team Majerus left behind which was Ash's sit out year..  It wasn't until [dead] took over and reality sucked.  And that was what he was stuck with.  He could not have expected the sky to fall so quickly with [dead].  None of us did.

Ash transferred here to play for Majerus, coached by Majerus.  I also have that confirmation from family.  Decision done.  Signature date immaterial.

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

exactly.   mi$$ouri needs this game more than we do.   if we would agree to such a game it should at least be 2 at chaifetz and one at mi$$ouri

You're getting religion on recruiting now, eh Roy?  I like Travis Ford.  Missouri (briefly), Kentucky, UMass, OSU.  He knows how to swim in those waters. He was a good hire, thought so at the time.  SLU has been pretty good at hiring coaches. 

7 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Agreed.  Good description of what Tford is digesting.

On 5/19/2017 at 8:32 PM, Bills_06 said:

Here is the interview that Frank tweeted about with the Mizzou series.  Talks about the roster this coming season and just how physically dominating it will be.  Had more praise for Goodwin.  He is open to the Mizzou game and has told that to them, Mizzou knows that, he thinks it will happen eventually and will be good for basketball in the area.  He isn't concerned about losing recruits to Mizzou, plenty of talent out there.  

http://www.ksdk.com/sports/college/slu/is-slu-a-tournament-team-travis-ford-stops-by-to-talk-slu-hoops/441265633

What I liked most about that interview is that he's not worried about Mizzou. There's enough of talent around to lift both programs to national prominence. Let's hope that they can reach a deal to play each other again. Finally, I can get excited about college hoops again.

I have read several posts in this thread about how great it is that Ford says he is not afraid of Missouri and there is enough talent to go around.  Well talk about the ultimate coach speak.  What do you expect  him to say - I am scared $hitless about other coaches getting all the players I want?  Every coach has confidence in their ability to recruit - if they did not they would not even be in the profession - even Crews thought he was a good recruiter if you asked him.  All coaches are concerned about competition regarding recruiting even Coach K or Coach Cal.  They would be crazy not to be.  Like I said even Crews knew he had to recruit against top coaches but what could he do but simply try.  The same is true with Ford - he would be tickled pink if all the other coaches stayed away from StL in recruiting and all the other kids he has extended offers.  My point is simply don't read too much into the coach speak but keep in mind that he knows he will be given a run for his money from coaches all over the country.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:54 PM, MUTGR said:

You guys want to play us in basketball and I heard Lovie smith on the radio during the Cardinals game tonight saying Illinois wants to play us in football.

It's flattering everyone wants to play us. 

Look, there's nothing wrong with being afraid. Everyone is frightened by something, For Mizzou it just happens to be a basketball game against SLU that frightens them. It's ok.

14 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I have read several posts in this thread about how great it is that Ford says he is not afraid of Missouri and there is enough talent to go around.  Well talk about the ultimate coach speak.  What do you expect  him to say - I am scared $hitless about other coaches getting all the players I want?  Every coach has confidence in their ability to recruit - if they did not they would not even be in the profession - even Crews thought he was a good recruiter if you asked him.  All coaches are concerned about competition regarding recruiting even Coach K or Coach Cal.  They would be crazy not to be.  Like I said even Crews knew he had to recruit against top coaches but what could he do but simply try.  The same is true with Ford - he would be tickled pink if all the other coaches stayed away from StL in recruiting and all the other kids he has extended offers.  My point is simply don't read too much into the coach speak but keep in mind that he knows he will be given a run for his money from coaches all over the country.

something about the way he said it though.... makes me wanna hit the recruiting trails myself 

On 5/19/2017 at 10:19 PM, majerus mojo said:

That was a great interview. Did not realize he was as good of a shooter as insinuated.  

I've mentioned here a few times, as I've seen him play multiple times.  Still people managed to argue.

33 minutes ago, Old guy said:

NextYearBill, there is only one way to find out what you would do if you hit the recruiting trails yourself, that is doing it. Seriously, maybe you should try to find some way to get involved in these.

i think id do a better job recruiting students to SLU, not athletes. 

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I agree. Thought the same thing myself. Total coach speak.

We'd all rather Kim Andersen still be coaching mizzou, much the same way mizzou fans would rather Jim crews be coaching SLU.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

NextYearBill, there is only one way to find out what you would do if you hit the recruiting trails yourself, that is doing it. Seriously, maybe you should try to find some way to get involved in these.

I agree.!m NYB should definitely host the recruiting trips

I think the recruiting battles for 2018 local talent between Mizzou and SLU will come down to which team can mesh faster.

I think this could extend to, dare I say it....keeping Gordon's commitment. Both programs are in very similar situations in that they are very optimistic about next year but no one knows exactly how it will pan out. I think players will want to join the program that looks best set up for success during the 18-19 season so next year is key. Youl could make the argument that it will be about who makes it further in the season. Although that is true, the early season will be key to set each team to make it further. We need resume boosters early on so we can be ready going into a weak A10 this year. 

We can talk about should Ford be scared or not all we want, or who is recruiting where, but I think that this fall the team and the results will be our biggest recruiting assets. 

55 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

I think the recruiting battles for 2018 local talent between Mizzou and SLU will come down to which team can mesh faster.

I think this could extend to, dare I say it....keeping Gordon's commitment. Both programs are in very similar situations in that they are very optimistic about next year but no one knows exactly how it will pan out. I think players will want to join the program that looks best set up for success during the 18-19 season so next year is key. Youl could make the argument that it will be about who makes it further in the season. Although that is true, the early season will be key to set each team to make it further. We need resume boosters early on so we can be ready going into a weak A10 this year. 

We can talk about should Ford be scared or not all we want, or who is recruiting where, but I think that this fall the team and the results will be our biggest recruiting assets. 

Is this just a random thought you pulled out of your ass? Losing Godon to Mizzou? Losing local recruits if we don't meld fast enough? What gives you any indication Martin can build and win consistently?  Take you Mizzou talk to Tigerboard.