2017-2018 Schedule

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/12/2017 at 11:50 AM, Billiken Rich said:

Are we sure Graves is going to play at second semester this year?  Wouldn't he have a full year of eligibility if he sat this whole year?

Can you sit out three straight semesters and preserve a year? Seems like an awful long time to sit idle during your college career.

16 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

Can you sit out three straight semesters and preserve a year? Seems like an awful long time to sit idle during your college career.

Graves has 3.5 years of eligibility left. The second semester of this season is when he becomes eligible again. He will then have three more years of eligibility - assuming all NCAA paperwork clears - beginning with the 2018-2019 season.

If he sits this full season, he will not gain another semester of eligibility. Put another way, if he gets through his fifth (senior) year after having sat this entire season (or 1.5 seasons total), he can't play the first half of another season after that. So he'd be sacrificing a half season of eligibility for no reason.

There is no benefit to having him sit any more than he has to.

23 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Graves has 3.5 years of eligibility left. The second semester of this season is when he becomes eligible again. He will then have three more years of eligibility - assuming all NCAA paperwork clears - beginning with the 2018-2019 season.

If he sits this full season, he will not gain another semester of eligibility. Put another way, if he gets through his fifth (senior) year after having sat this entire season (or 1.5 seasons total), he can't play the first half of another season after that. So he'd be sacrificing a half season of eligibility for no reason.

5 minutes ago, slusam said:

I thought the same thing when he transferred but some on this board corrected me. You lose a full year of eligibility for every year you play in. He will have 2.5 years left. To me it doesnt make sense to transfer after the first semester.

This is (partially) incorrect (both posts).  Eligibility goes by years, not half-years.  Ty Graves has used one year of eligibility and has three years left.  He has not used a redshirt year.  Because he must sit out two semesters in residence after transferring, he can't begin his second year of eligibility until after the first semester ends.  If, however, he were to redshirt this season, then he'd have three full seasons left to play beginning in 2018-19.

Edited by Quality Is Job 1
Clarity

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, that's what I figured, since he spent the first semester last year at BC.

2 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

This is (partially) incorrect (both posts).  Eligibility goes by years, not half-years.  Ty Graves has used one year of eligibility and has three years left.  He has not used a redshirt year.  Because he must sit out two semesters in residence after transferring, he can't begin his second year of eligibility until after the first semester ends.  If, however, he were to redshirt this season, then he'd have three full seasons left to play beginning in 2018-19.

I thought players have 5 years to complete 4 seasons of eligibility (6 years if 2 medical redshirts are taken). So in theory he'd be able to play 4 full seasons, but mid-season transfers aren't granted redshirts? I didn't realize that.

So if this is the case, then Rich may have been right. He could sit 3 consecutive semesters after playing 1 and play 3 full years at his destination school instead of 2.5. Regardless, he's not getting a full four years and this rule makes transferring mid-season really unappealing.

Still, I want to confirm this rule. I can't find it in here: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017-18_Transfer_Guide_4_Year_20170721.pdf

On 8/10/2017 at 7:29 PM, brianstl said:

Toot, toot express coming through.

That's what I'm talking about.

From a Sports Geek standpoint this schedule has 2 visits to Storied US Sports Sites: MSG and Hinkle.  That's pretty awesome and I would love to see SLU play in both.  I'll be watching on TV cause I won't be able to make it this season.

From a BB standpoint last year's RPIs aren't all that impressive for most of the teams but a few project to be better.  

A few regional schools SEMO, Rockhurst, SIU, 

Former Conference Foes: Houston, Butler, way  back SIU and Detroit right?

Jesuit/other Catholic Schools: Seattle, Rockhurst, maybe Providence, Detroit

Power 5 Conference Games: Butler, Providence/UW, VT, Oregon St.

Last Year NCAA Teams: VT, Providence (maybe), Butler (Sweet 16), 

Last Year NIT: Houston

Last Year CIT: Campbell

Schools Coached by Former SLU Players: Rockhurst

Schools formerly coached by former SLU Coaches: UW (maybe)

Sets up well, gives us 2 games to get lineups and jitters out.  Gives us a good buy game during Finals (I think).  I like and think they did a good job scheduling.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

I thought players have 5 years to complete 4 seasons of eligibility (6 years if 2 medical redshirts are taken). So in theory he'd be able to play 4 full seasons, but mid-season transfers aren't granted redshirts? I didn't realize that.

So if this is the case, then Rich may have been right. He could sit 3 consecutive semesters after playing 1 and play 3 full years at his destination school instead of 2.5. Regardless, he's not getting a full four years and this rule makes transferring mid-season really unappealing.

Still, I want to confirm this rule. I can't find it in here: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017-18_Transfer_Guide_4_Year_20170721.pdf

He definitely COULD sit all of next year and have 3 years of eligibility remaining. That being said, I'd be stunned if he did that and honestly the only way I see it happening is if he gets hurt during practices in the fall.

Additionally, we always talk about the seasons as if they are 0.5 increments but he'll only miss 12 games (11 D1 games) next year out of a minimum 32 game season.

14 minutes ago, kshoe said:

He definitely COULD sit all of next year and have 3 years of eligibility remaining. That being said, I'd be stunned if he did that and honestly the only way I see it happening is if he gets hurt during practices in the fall.

Additionally, we always talk about the seasons as if they are 0.5 increments but he'll only miss 12 games (11 D1 games) next year out of a minimum 32 game season.

That's true, but he won't be around for the 2020-2021 season and he could've been had he transferred after a full year.

Just now, Pistol said:

That's true, but he won't be around for the 2020-2021 season and he could've been had he transferred after a full year.

He could still be around for that season if he wants. He could sit out all of this coming year and he gets the 2020-21 season. It's not the decision to transfer mid-year that loses him 2020-21, it's his decision on whether to play this upcoming year that loses or keeps it. His decision to transfer mid-year only cost him the remaining season with BC.

I agree in general mid-season transfers don't make a ton of sense but at the same time if you aren't happy somewhere and don't want to spend the rest of the year there, a mid-season transfer gives you the opportunity to still sit out the following season with no harm done. If you'd rather have 2/3 of the near season instead of 3/3 of a season 3 years from now, then playing as soon as possible the next season makes sense.

From SLU's perspective we'll want him to play because we value the certainty of having him around for 2/3 of next year more than the uncertainty of having him around for the full 20-21 season, particularly given he'd likely be a 5th year eligible grad-transfer at that point.

7 minutes ago, kshoe said:

He could still be around for that season if he wants. He could sit out all of this coming year and he gets the 2020-21 season. It's not the decision to transfer mid-year that loses him 2020-21, it's his decision on whether to play this upcoming year that loses or keeps it. His decision to transfer mid-year only cost him the remaining season with BC.

I agree in general mid-season transfers don't make a ton of sense but at the same time if you aren't happy somewhere and don't want to spend the rest of the year there, a mid-season transfer gives you the opportunity to still sit out the following season with no harm done. If you'd rather have 2/3 of the near season instead of 3/3 of a season 3 years from now, then playing as soon as possible the next season makes sense.

From SLU's perspective we'll want him to play because we value the certainty of having him around for 2/3 of next year more than the uncertainty of having him around for the full 20-21 season, particularly given he'd likely be a 5th year eligible grad-transfer at that point.

That assumes the grad transfer rule still exists then.

5 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Maybe the NCAA should step in and limit the # of home games for all teams - in other words you have to play 25% of your non conf schedule on the road excluding tournaments.

I don't think the NCAA can do this explicitly. They took a step towards hopefully fixing the problem by making road games count more towards NCAA selection. Conferences could have a scheduling mandate, but that really would do nothing for the smaller conferences. 

Just now, JMM28 said:

I don't think the NCAA can do this explicitly. They took a step towards hopefully fixing the problem by making road games count more towards NCAA selection. Conferences could have a scheduling mandate, but that really would do nothing for the smaller conferences. 

I thought they did something to force scheduling for football?  I doubt the conf will do anything.

26 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Stu's article today has some good perspective on scheduling.

Good peak under the hood about what goes into scheduling. Stu and the evil commie P-D have had several good offseason articles.  Glad to see them looking at Georgetown and Wichita State. Those would be excellent home/homes.  With Wichita State moving out of the Valley, I think there could be a real opportunity. Their fans have been coming to St. Louis for the Valley Tournament for a long time. They travel very well. Playing us gives them a good do-able road trip now that they are in an East Coast league. 

If it comes down to it, even taking a CBI/CIT invite this year would make sense, a la Majerus in 2010. I know those third tourneys have diminished in quality since then, but it would still be cool to get some postseason experience and a chance to see the new guys at home for a few more games.

2 hours ago, hsmith19 said:

If it comes down to it, even taking a CBI/CIT invite this year would make sense, a la Majerus in 2010. I know those third tourneys have diminished in quality since then, but it would still be cool to get some postseason experience and a chance to see the new guys at home for a few more games.

Correct me if im wrong, but wasnt that CBI team full of fr and so?  We have to many legit jr this season to go there this year imo