2017-2018 Schedule

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I really hate that we are playing Rockhurst tomorrow. Can we just drop this already. 

I was really pushing myself to go and see the Billikens play live. But I can't justify making it out to Chaifetz to watch them play a DII team when I can stay in and watch Minnesota play Providence at 5:30 and then watch the Memphis Grizzlies play the Bucks on Fox Sports. 

I know I'm just one person, but I'm sure similar trains of thought are happening across the city. Play another crappy D1 team for all I care. Give me a real game, not a waste of time for fans. This is nothing more than a practice for players, and they are using a season game slot for it. 

9 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

I really hate that we are playing Rockhurst tomorrow. Can we just drop this already. 

I was really pushing myself to go and see the Billikens play live. But I can't justify making it out to Chaifetz to watch them play a DII team when I can stay in and watch Minnesota play Providence at 5:30 and then watch the Memphis Grizzlies play the Bucks on Fox Sports. 

I know I'm just one person, but I'm sure similar trains of thought are happening across the city. Play another crappy D1 team for all I care. Give me a real game, not a waste of time for fans. This is nothing more than a practice for players, and they are using a season game slot for it. 

Been stated a bunch in the past, but playing a D2 team vs. crappy D1 is much better in terms of RPI. Also I don't really see a problem with an early season "tune-up" like this. They are inevitable. 

"When I can stay in and watch Minnesota vs. Providence" 😂😂😂

Littlebill and RUBillsFan like this

1 hour ago, 615Billiken said:

What a fan!

1 hour ago, 615Billiken said:

I am 100% in agreement.  This game, and the timing of this game, to me, couldn't be worse.  We need a step up from Seattle going into the NYC games.  This is a glorified Harris Stowe repeat.  Punishing Rockhurst by 30 wouldn't give us much or tell us anything.  An internal scrimmage would do more good, using the three absentees on the scout team.   I'll be there, but wish it was someone other than Rockhurst.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

What a fan!

I hope my choice to watch a ranked team like Minnesota play a team with much tradition like Providence as well as NBA basketball in the comfort of my apartment over SLU playing a DII team doesn't mean I'm a bad fan. But maybe it does. 

I'm just saying that people make choices about what to consume all the time. I would say I'm a fan, and therefore I will always lean toward going to watch SLU at Chaifetz no matter what other games are on. SLU has to really try hard to make me not want to go the arena and watch them play. In this case, they have made my choice easy and lost the battle to more intriguing games on TV. A little bit of disclosure: My girlfriend is a Minnesota alum, and I'm from Tennessee (meaning Grizzlies are my team).

I will be at every other home game that I can attend and watch on TV when its an away game and its being broadcast because they play real teams, some good, some bad. 

All of this to say is that in order to win over the casual fan in the city (I exclude myself from this category), you have to provide a good product. Very few people want to pay money to watch basically a scrimmage against a DII team. It's not the end of the world, but it is a bit frustrating to see regular season time slot go to such waste when you could be bringing in a better crowd and getting people excited by providing a better product. 

I think most great fans would choose to watch their team vs a co-ed cyo team instead of magic vs bird.  

But if you think watching Minnesota instead of our billikens somehow strangely helps our program good luck with your protest.

6 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

I hope my choice to watch a ranked team like Minnesota play a team with much tradition like Providence as well as NBA basketball in the comfort of my apartment over SLU playing a DII team doesn't mean I'm a bad fan. But maybe it does. 

I'm just saying that people make choices about what to consume all the time. I would say I'm a fan, and therefore I will always lean toward going to watch SLU at Chaifetz no matter what other games are on. SLU has to really try hard to make me not want to go the arena and watch them play. In this case, they have made my choice easy and lost the battle to more intriguing games on TV. A little bit of disclosure: My girlfriend is a Minnesota alum, and I'm from Tennessee (meaning Grizzlies are my team).

I will be at every other home game that I can attend and watch on TV when its an away game and its being broadcast because they play real teams, some good, some bad. 

All of this to say is that in order to win over the casual fan in the city (I exclude myself from this category), you have to provide a good product. Very few people want to pay money to watch basically a scrimmage against a DII team. It's not the end of the world, but it is a bit frustrating to see regular season time slot go to such waste when you could be bringing in a better crowd and getting people excited by providing a better product. 

This is all dogshit

rgbilliken likes this

5 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

You got me. I hate the Billikens and I’m a fan. How could I.

No you just contradicted yourself for 3 paragraphs of dogshit. If you don’t want to come don’t come but don’t say you’ll lean toward coming to watch the team at chaifetz and then proceed to give us 10 excuses for why you’re not going to the game. 

I’ve thought about skipping this game to watch the blues on tv but the reality is that there’s only 30 billiken games a year and only like 15 are games i can watch in person. The blues have 82 games every single one is on tv. 

10 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

No you just contradicted yourself for 3 paragraphs of dogshit. If you don’t want to come don’t come but don’t say you’ll lean toward coming to watch the team at chaifetz and then proceed to give us 10 excuses for why you’re not going to the game. 

I’ve thought about skipping this game to watch the blues on tv but the reality is that there’s only 30 billiken games a year and only like 15 are games i can watch in person. The blues have 82 games every single one is on tv. 

Woah man, its ok to chill every once in a while. Don't let my decisions get to ya so much. 

I will always lean to go. I also said that "SLU has to really try hard to make me not want to go the arena and watch them play". In this case, they have tried really hard and succeeded. I can watch two full games that I'm interested in instead of watching one game that involves a DII team. I wish they would be playing a better team.

Maybe we disagree about what the threshold should be. 

It's all good dude. People are different. 

41 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

Woah man, its ok to chill every once in a while. Don't let my decisions get to ya so much. 

I will always lean to go. I also said that "SLU has to really try hard to make me not want to go the arena and watch them play". In this case, they have tried really hard and succeeded. I can watch two full games that I'm interested in instead of watching one game that involves a DII team. I wish they would be playing a better team.

Maybe we disagree about what the threshold should be. 

It's all good dude. People are different. 

What too many posters have in their thick head is that if you don't agree with them, or if you don't condescend to their statements, then you are automatically wrong.  It is okay to have different opinions.  You are good with whatever you decide to do.  

-if I am rationalizing, so be it, but I see the Rockhurst game from this perspective....we have a bunch of new players who on Thursday play an ACC team, scheduling is very tough, we couldn't find another D1 team to fit our needs so to get the guys another real game before NYC we are playing the Hawks