2017-2018 Schedule

On 10/22/2017 at 9:06 AM, Cowboy said:

-Chaifetz Arena has an event Thurs-Sunday so that may play into this a bit

Hell go on the road. It’s not about raising a bunch of money. It’s about more game time for players. Especially a team with so many new pieces  

Wisconsin just announced Northern Iowa is coming to Kohl for one of these games. 

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Hell go on the road. It’s not about raising a bunch of money. It’s about more game time for players. Especially a team with so many new pieces  

Wisconsin just announced Northern Iowa is coming to Kohl for one of these games. 

There doesn't appear to be a downside to this.....

13 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Get Memphis on the phone and tell them to set up a game there and that slu will cover their own travel expenses.  Play it at the Elma Roane Fieldhouse on the Memphis campus or even at the De La Salle Gymnasium at CBC if the FedEx isn't available.  This team could use court time against another real program before the season starts.

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Get Memphis on the phone and tell them to set up a game there and that slu will cover their own travel expenses.  Play it at the Elma Roane Fieldhouse on the Memphis campus or even at the De La Salle Gymnasium at CBC if the FedEx isn't available.  This team could use court time against another real program before the season starts.

travis ford doesnt just sit on his hands. if he thought this was a good idea, it would already be done 

45 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think Memphis is trying to play Vandy. 

What about DePaul? 

50 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

travis ford doesnt just sit on his hands. if he thought this was a good idea, it would already be done 

Apparently the biggest hurdle in scheduling these exhibitions is that the NCAA requires a waiver. Part of the waiver is that players are not allowed to miss class for these games. Tough if any of them have night class through the week. 

-if the staff feels it's a good idea, I'm guessing they would be trying to do it, doesn't seem like CFord would miss an opportunity

-from the Cleveland Plain Dealer, emphasis is mine..... if UNC can have make believe classes for 18 years then going from gross receipts to net proceeds is nothing, for example have a booster provide travel at an exorbitant rate and then in return donate the amount back to the school over what the normal rate would have been....yes, I'm looking at the NCAA through very, very jaded lenses

Division I institutions interested in pursuing an additional exhibition contest benefiting hurricane relief must submit a legislative relief waiver request in RSRO. If two Division I institutions are planning to participate against each other, then only one of the two schools is required to submit a waiver.

However, the submission must include a statement of support from each participating institution's director of athletics, must specify that all net proceeds from the contest will be donated to a bona fide charity and must identify that charity.

Please note that any Division II or Division III institutions seeking to participate in an additional exhibition contest against a Division I institution must submit a separate legislative relief waiver request.  Staff will promptly review each request on a case-by-case basis.

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Never read to much into exhibition results.  Don't forget Syracuse lost to Le Moyne in an exhibition in 2009.  That went on to win the Big East, went to the Sweet 16 and finished the season ranked 4th in the AP and 8th in the coaches' poll.

I dont, well I try my best not to. but it doesnt keep me from keeping an eye on opponents. I do enjoy the meltdowns though.  

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

I dont, well I try my best not to. but it doesnt keep me from keeping an eye on opponents. I do enjoy the meltdowns though.  

Losing a exhibition game is no meltdown. Games are meaningless.

Now, when you are a 2nd seed and lose in the 1st round of the NCAAs to the likes of a 15 seed Norfolk State, that's a meltdown :)

Billiken Rich and TheA_Bomb like this

23 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Losing a exhibition game is no meltdown. Games are meaningless.

Now, when you are a 2nd seed and lose in the 1st round of the NCAAs to the likes of a 15 seed Norfolk State, that's a meltdown :)

O but there is. Should there be a meltdown, no. Is there, yes.

Ive never gone to an exhibition game, but im thinking about finally going to the one this year.  Is the attendance pretty bad?  is anything done differently from a normal game? Just trying to see if its a waste of time or not

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Ive never gone to an exhibition game, but im thinking about finally going to the one this year.  Is the attendance pretty bad?  is anything done differently from a normal game? Just trying to see if its a waste of time or not

It's like a normal game, but it's against Harris Stowe. Rules are all the same. Should be a 40 point win or so. 

15 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

It's like a normal game, but it's against Harris Stowe. Rules are all the same. Should be a 40 point win or so. 

Let's not overlook the Hornets. They won the American Midwest Conference last year and went to the NAIA Tournament. Solid ball club they have over there.