2017-2018 Schedule

I just don't like the phantom win. It looks better at a glance but the RPI and other ratings show one fewer win. I like when every game counts. I know this is not totally rational and my own problem, but still. It feels like a mid-season exhibition that gets put on our overall record.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I just don't like the phantom win. It looks better at a glance but the RPI and other ratings show one fewer win. I like when every game counts. I know this is not totally rational and my own problem, but still. It feels like a mid-season exhibition that gets put on our overall record.

I agree that it creates a wonky situation with the win / loss record.  I do think it is a positive though.  General public looks at win / loss record and it looks better.  Selection committee looks at RPI which isn't dragged down by a deadful opponent and that looks better.  It only creates a problem for us MBMs when we argue about whether to include it in our records predictions.

8 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

For me it just depends on the alternative. If the alternative is against any top 200 opponent, I'd take the D1 game every day. If it's against a team ranked 200 or worse, I'm fine with playing Rockhurst although I still don't like the game. 

I think it is a near certainty that the Rockhurst game is replacing a game that would be against a team ranked 250 or even 300 or worse in the RPI.  It could also be adding an extra game that otherwise would not be played at all.  SLU doesn't play many buy games against top 200 schools.  I think a majority of schools ranked that high are probably looking for home/home games or paying for buy games (same situation as SLU) rather than being the one being paid as a buy game.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Yes and yes.

Just last night I was at my favorite watering hole and sampled for the 1st time Portland's family & employee owned Deschutes Brewery products. Outstanding:

http://beerpulse.com/2017/05/deschutes-brewery-brings-its-beers-to-north-carolina-5236/

4 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Just last night I was at my favorite watering hole and sampled for the 1st time Portland's family & employee owned Deschutes Brewery products. Outstanding:

http://beerpulse.com/2017/05/deschutes-brewery-brings-its-beers-to-north-carolina-5236/

I will be visiting Deschutes in a few weeks in Bend, Oregon. 

45 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

For me it just depends on the alternative. If the alternative is against any top 200 opponent, I'd take the D1 game every day. If it's against a team ranked 200 or worse, I'm fine with playing Rockhurst although I still don't like the game. 

Yeah, I mean, we don't know exactly what the alternative was here, if any. We need a certain number of home games, and some buy games are going to murder your national ratings. I get that.

I think probably my biggest issue is that we have another season of having to clarify statements on this board with "including Rockhurst" or "not including the Rockhurst game".

My beef is that they keep advertising this game as "Jesuit Brotherhood Week" or some such title. Which is fine, we throw Rockhurst a bone. But I wish some other Jesuit schools (cough cough Creighton, Marquette cough cough) would show some brotherhood with SLU. Too much to ask? 

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

So you're 50/50 with team 200?

1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

My beef is that they keep advertising this game as "Jesuit Brotherhood Week" or some such title. Which is fine, we throw Rockhurst a bone. But I wish some other Jesuit schools (cough cough Creighton, Marquette cough cough) would show some brotherhood with SLU. Too much to ask? 

Agreed.  Marquette and Creighton, Jesuit kindred, both know SLU is too big of a threat to them.

Thanks.  This Board is a lifeline for expatriates like me.

I have high hopes for the upcoming season.  We are planning to be in NYC at MSG for the tourney games before Thanksgiving, and hopefully at Chaifetz Arena for the SEMO game before Christmas.  Portland is a short flight from the Bay Area.   That will be Christmas Party Weekend, so whether I can get up there will depend in part on the game time.

1 hour ago, almaman said:

Wish Rockhurst (where only child is starting her 2nd year) would jump up to D-1

Having attended Rockhurst in the not so distant (at least in my mind) past, I can tell you that their athletics programs / facilities are no where close to D-1 caliber.  It is way too small of a school to invest heavily in athletics like a D1 school should.  I'm of the mind that the D1 ranks need to be culled of all of the bottom feeding schools instead of adding more.  

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

4 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I agree that it creates a wonky situation with the win / loss record.  I do think it is a positive though.  General public looks at win / loss record and it looks better.  Selection committee looks at RPI which isn't dragged down by a dreadful opponent and that looks better.  It only creates a problem for us MBMs when we argue about whether to include it in our records predictions.

I know nothing about the Rockhurst schedule, but I have a feeling that the game is going to be an exhibition for them, one of their two games against non-Div. 2 opponents that doesn't count towards their record, while it counts towards SLU's.  I have considerable disdain for that setup.

8 hours ago, CBFan said:

I thought Butler with a new coach should be a team that SLU should beat, I guess Butler is not in as bad as shape as I thought

Butler has been picked for maybe 4-8 in the Big East.  They will be in most pre-season NCAA tourney brackets.  Yes, they will have a new coach and 5 new players, four freshman plus PG Jorgeson a transfer from GWashington.  Two of the four freshman are highly rated (pick your rating service but 4*).  Their top recruit backed out and went to TheOSU.  They return starters Martin, Wideman and Baldwin.  Martin can either carry or bury the team by himself. He was second team Big East last year and likely preseason first team this season.   Baldwin is a huge wildcard (Newcomer Big East Team last season), a terror on defense and a swift scorer.  He's a 6'1" G who hit 49.5% from the field last season.  They are trying him at backup PG on their current trip to Spain.  Wideman is a Wide Man. (Pun intended.) They lost starters Chrabascz and part time starter Lewis, with Chrab being the big loss.  (Shows that not every McD AA {Lewis} is a game changer.)  PLUS, Hinkle is a distinct advantage for the Home Team.  Yeah, I know every opponent's home court gives them an advantage, but Hinkle is different.

19 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Butler has been picked for maybe 4-8 in the Big East.  They will be in most pre-season NCAA tourney brackets.  Yes, they will have a new coach and 5 new players, four freshman plus PG Jorgeson a transfer from GWashington.  Two of the four freshman are highly rated (pick your rating service but 4*).  Their top recruit backed out and went to TheOSU.  They return starters Martin, Wideman and Baldwin.  Martin can either carry or bury the team by himself. He was second team Big East last year and likely preseason first team this season.   Baldwin is a huge wildcard (Newcomer Big East Team last season), a terror on defense and a swift scorer.  He's a 6'1" G who hit 49.5% from the field last season.  They are trying him at backup PG on their current trip to Spain.  Wideman is a Wide Man. (Pun intended.) They lost starters Chrabascz and part time starter Lewis, with Chrab being the big loss.  (Shows that not every McD AA {Lewis} is a game changer.)  PLUS, Hinkle is a distinct advantage for the Home Team.  Yeah, I know every opponent's home court gives them an advantage, but Hinkle is different.

Thank you very much for the summary I figured you knew.

Hinkle is a special place and what a thrill when we won there but that does not happen much.

10-3 sounds good to me and cannot wait for the season to start.

9 minutes ago, billikens747 said:

Probably too early, but how do I go about getting tickets in the SLU section for Oregon St?

Get there before the other 32 people that attend Oregon State basketball games would be my suggestion. 

5 hours ago, CBFan said:

Thank you very much for the summary I figured you knew.

Hinkle is a special place and what a thrill when we won there but that does not happen much.

10-3 sounds good to me and cannot wait for the season to start.

I've been to a handful of Butler games over the year that didn't involve SLU.  Prior to that game a few years back I had never seen another team take over their gym like that.  When I saw all the SLU fans and students there I knew we had a shot.  We get another 1000-1500 fans there this year and we will have a fighting chance at a victory.  It is a small tight venue that gets loud very fast.  A boisterous visiting crowd can change the outcome of the game.

On 8/9/2017 at 4:17 PM, ACE said:

When does the 1st semester end? Wouldn't Graves be eligible immediately after that?

According to the University Academic Calendar on the SLU Website, first semester finals are Dec 13-19.  Final grades are due 5 PM on Dec 21.   Not sure how the official end of the semester is defined, but the Dec 22 game v SEMO for sure is after the finish line.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

According to the University Academic Calendar on the SLU Website, first semester finals are Dec 13-19.  Final grades are due 5 PM on Dec 21.   Not sure how the official end of the semester is defined, but the Dec 22 game v SEMO for sure if after the finish line.

I hope you are right.  It would be nice to see him in a game before Conference starts.