2017-2018 Schedule

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Western Michigan comes in 93 on the Top 144 and projected winning the MAC crown. Solid game for the home schedule. 

I wasn't gonna say that earlier, what I don't understand is why they will be better than they were last year. They don't have any game changing players that I've seen. 

5 hours ago, bauman said:

I am surprised that we didn't get a second game out West to couple with Or. St.  That is a long way to go for just one game.

I'm glad to see a second game before we go to NYC, even if it is Rockhurst.  At least it will give the team one more chance to jell before kicking some Va Tech butt.

I know someone will start a separate Record thread, but I see 11-2 OOC, and yes that includes Rockhurst!

They ride dem airplanes now

thicks:  the Oregon State game is at the Moda Center (nee Rose Garden) in Portland, a scant 85 miles north of the OSU campus in Corvallis. 

Schedule kind of makes it look like we could be big boys ----- all home games save one, one game at a contested "neutral' site serving as a home game for the opposition, an done big time tournament, this one in the Big Apple.  I can see this schedule being the aberration rather than the rule.

15 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

OOC 10-3

Losses to VT, Butler and then a home hiccup. 

I agree with the one hiccup at home it just happens even with coach Majerus.

I thought Butler with a new coach should be a team that SLU should beat, I guess Butler is not in as bad as shape as I thought.

I trust your opinions especially with Indiana schools.

YES!!!!  Rockhurst is on the schedule and the greatest Jesuit basketball rivalry in the state of Missouri is renewed once again.

Here is my almost annual defense of SLU playing my alma mater:

The alternative to this game is playing a bottom feeding D1 school because this is a buy game and likely a very cheap buy game.  SLU is not going to replace this game with a home game against Duke or even a team like Valpo or something.  This is basically equivalent to a game against SIUE except it is actually better for SLU.  As has already been pointed out, playing a D2 schools is better than playing a bottom feeding D1 school because it does not hurt our RPI.  Rockhurst being the only other Jesuit college in the state of MO is a "natural geographic rival" for SLU.  Casual fans (and likely most non-casual fans) cannot distinguish between a D2 school and a bottom feeding D1 school (such as Campbell).  Attendance is always poor for these games buy games, but at least Rockhurst usually sends a large alumni contingent to the games because their alumni relations group puts together an event around it.  I wouldn't be surprised if this "buy" game is actually pretty much free for SLU because Rockhurst likely sees it as a way to solicit STL alumni and recruit students from STL.

11 hours ago, 2010andBeyond said:

They ride dem airplanes now

Really?  I thought after the very positive experience last year in upstate NY, that taking a bus would become our preferred mode of travel.  Do you really think we will ride one of dem big birds?

Actually, my only point was that it would have been nice to get two games out of a long, and fairly expensive, trip to the far NW  It is nice, however, to get a home and home with a Pac 12 team.

2016-17 Kenpom rankings for the schedule:

• Seattle - 265
  • Rockhurst - NA
  • VA Tech - 50
  • 2K Classic - Providence - 60 or Washington - 163
  • Detroit Mercy - 302
  • Western Michigan - 162
  • Butler - 25
  • Southern Illinois - 150
  • Houston - 52
  • Murray State - 197
  • Oregon State - 264
  • Campbell - 278
  • SEMO - 228

48 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

2016-17 Kenpom rankings for the schedule:

• Seattle - 265
  • Rockhurst - NA
  • VA Tech - 50
  • 2K Classic - Providence - 60 or Washington - 163
  • Detroit Mercy - 302
  • Western Michigan - 162
  • Butler - 25
  • Southern Illinois - 150
  • Houston - 52
  • Murray State - 197
  • Oregon State - 264
  • Campbell - 278
  • SEMO - 228

-on a quick look at Kenpom, last season Oregon St is lowest rated team from a power conf, the next lowest is fellow Pac12 member Wash St at 193, Oregon St must have been really bad, I wonder where they would have ranked had they not beaten #47 Utah for their lone conf win

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

YES!!!!  Rockhurst is on the schedule and the greatest Jesuit basketball rivalry in the state of Missouri is renewed once again.

Here is my almost annual defense of SLU playing my alma mater:

The alternative to this game is playing a bottom feeding D1 school because this is a buy game and likely a very cheap buy game.  SLU is not going to replace this game with a home game against Duke or even a team like Valpo or something.  This is basically equivalent to a game against SIUE except it is actually better for SLU.  As has already been pointed out, playing a D2 schools is better than playing a bottom feeding D1 school because it does not hurt our RPI.  Rockhurst being the only other Jesuit college in the state of MO is a "natural geographic rival" for SLU.  Casual fans (and likely most non-casual fans) cannot distinguish between a D2 school and a bottom feeding D1 school (such as Campbell).  Attendance is always poor for these games buy games, but at least Rockhurst usually sends a large alumni contingent to the games because their alumni relations group puts together an event around it.  I wouldn't be surprised if this "buy" game is actually pretty much free for SLU because Rockhurst likely sees it as a way to solicit STL alumni and recruit students from STL.

Nailed it.