2017-2018 Schedule

We had one of these last year, a thread to collect any and all information we had about the upcoming season's schedule. Here's what I've got so far - what am I missing?

11/10: Seattle

11/16: @2k Classic in NYC - Providence, Virginia Tech, Washington

11/17: @2k Classic in NYC - Providence, Virginia Tech, Washington

11/22: Detroit

12/2: @Butler

Houston

SIUC?

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

Maybe OT here:

I will be a first year grad student (And first year Billiken) in the fall. Do grad students also get free tickets to home games?

I also recognize that this is a noob question. I am literally a noob at SLU stuff.

If you're full time I believe so.

1 hour ago, 615Billiken said:

Maybe OT here:

I will be a first year grad student (And first year Billiken) in the fall. Do grad students also get free tickets to home games?

I also recognize that this is a noob question. I am literally a noob at SLU stuff.

Welcome! If you don't get freebies you can come sit with us -- we almost always have a +1. (And our seats have backs on them. :) ) Do we deduce from your screen name that you're from Nashville?

1 hour ago, bonwich said:

Welcome! If you don't get freebies you can come sit with us -- we almost always have a +1. (And our seats have backs on them. :) ) Do we deduce from your screen name that you're from Nashville?

Let's not encourage students to sit down during the games more than they already do..

27 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Let's not encourage students to sit down during the games more than they already do..

S/he wouldn't be sitting in the student section. And in our section, we tend to stand up more than the students do, anyway. :)

3 hours ago, bonwich said:

Thanks! 

Yeah, I grew up in Nashville. Living in Denver now and now heading to SLU for grad studies. Super pumped about SLU and St. Louis in general. 

I'm a unicorn in the sense that I've been following and rooting for SLU (and lurking on the forum) without any real affiliation for years now since I went to a D2 school for undergrad and I'm excited to now be legit. 

16 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

Thanks! 

Yeah, I grew up in Nashville. Living in Denver now and now heading to SLU for grad studies. Super pumped about SLU and St. Louis in general. 

I'm a unicorn in the sense that I've been following and rooting for SLU (and lurking on the forum) without any real affiliation for years now since I went to a D2 school for undergrad and I'm excited to now be legit. 

.... how did you become a SLU fans? NCAA tourney?

11 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

.... how did you become a SLU fans? NCAA tourney?

Haha this is definitely TMI but here goes the actual story:

I used to visit a love interest that attended SLU often as an undergrad. I couldn't believe that such a gem of a university existed. I went to my first D1 game at SLU during Jett's junior year and even since then I've been following the Billikens.

Long story short, my love for the girl died, my love for the Billikens and the city never did. I think because it provides the opposite of a rapidly gentrifying city like Nashville and still holds its historic identity. 

Soderball has been following Billiken basketball for the entirety of my life. I didn't attend SLU and the only affiliation is that I've had instructors that have taught at SLU as well as my alma mater at the same time. This team belongs not only to the institution, but to the region in general.

3 hours ago, 615Billiken said:

Haha this is definitely TMI but here goes the actual story:

I used to visit a love interest that attended SLU often as an undergrad. I couldn't believe that such a gem of a university existed. I went to my first D1 game at SLU during Jett's junior year and even since then I've been following the Billikens.

Long story short, my love for the girl died, my love for the Billikens and the city never did. I think because it provides the opposite of a rapidly gentrifying city like Nashville and still holds its historic identity. 

Cool story (no sarcasm intended), Bro!

2 hours ago, Soderball said:

Soderball has been following Billiken basketball for the entirety of my life. I didn't attend SLU and the only affiliation is that I've had instructors that have taught at SLU as well as my alma mater at the same time. This team belongs not only to the institution, but to the region in general.

Yes, that's exactly it.  I didn't attend SLU, but I'm a St. Louisan and a homer; SLU is my team.  I wish more St. Louisans felt similarly.

3 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Yes, that's exactly it.  I didn't attend SLU, but I'm a St. Louisan and a homer; SLU is my team.  I wish more St. Louisans felt similarly.

This is my story also.

46 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Same here, I am not a SLU alum, but after I moved to St. Louis and found my 2nd wife here I developed an interest in SLU (she is an alum with a BA and two masters from SLU). 

How long had your 2nd wife been missing?

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Same here, I am not a SLU alum, but after I moved to St. Louis and found my 2nd wife here I developed an interest in SLU (she is an alum with a BA and two masters from SLU). 

Pretty much same story.  My 2nd has an MBA from SLU.

Great non alum stuff guys thanks for sharing good stories.  I am also part of the non alum club.  Watching Bill Walton play got me interested in college basketball I then followed Missouri and then noticed in the post dispatch stories about SLU and a kind alum that sat in the first row on the court took me to a game at Kiel against Loyola.  I watched Jim Rodar, Ted Mimlitz, Rheddit Hudson and Pee Wee Leonard play for SLU.  I have been a big Billiken fan ever since going to that game.

16 hours ago, 615Billiken said:

Maybe OT here:

Graduate students can opt into the same fee that the undergrads have to pay. It's $30 for a season.

Edit: In case you didn't know, a few years ago the students voted to create a basketball fee for the entire undergraduate body and then all students can go to any game for "free." It replaced the old system of $10 per game or $150-ish for the season. Grad students don't have to pay that fee, but can choose to in order to get the benefits.

13 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Yogi Berra would follow SLU basketball even living Jersey up until he died.  The main reason I attended SLU for undergrad and grad because it was my hometown school, not necessarily because it was best school I could go to.