My starting line-up for the first game as of right now

Goodwin-1

Roby-2

Adonys-3

French and Bess as our forwards

I can see Bishop coming in for Roby

Johnson coming in for Adonys

Foreman and Rasheed coming in for Bess or French

Later in the season add graves to come in for Roby or Goodwin, maybe even start over Roby

Welmer coming in later for French or Bess or being an alternate to Rasheed or foreman. This one is tough since he has a more diversified skill set than Foreman and Rasheed

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see Bess playing that much at the 4 spot. Occasionally against undersized teams or when there's foul trouble, maybe, but with Anthony in the mix it seems like Johnson would be the fifth  'big' ahead of Bess, given his experience at the 4 this past year.

As stated in another thread, I'd like to see:

Starting:

Goodwin (30mpg), Roby (22), Henriquez (30), French (24), Foreman (24)

Bench:

Welmer (22), Bess (24), Johnson (14), Bishop (10), Anthony (~); and then Graves will bump Bishop out of the rotation, take some minutes from Johnson and Roby

2 hours ago, Zink said:

I don't see Bess playing that much at the 4 spot. Occasionally against undersized teams or when there's foul trouble, maybe, but with Anthony in the mix it seems like Johnson would be the fifth  'big' ahead of Bess, given his experience at the 4 this past year.

Starting:

Bench:

Welmer (22), Bess (24), Johnson (14), Bishop (10), Anthony (~); and then Graves will bump Bishop out of the rotation, take some minutes from Johnson and Roby

I am extremely curious to why foreman is starting over Bess. Yes I see the PT is the same but on paper and from what I've seen and heard, foreman is a better Reggie and Bess is a beast 

3 hours ago, Zink said:

Starting:

Bench:

I think you are really underrating Johnson. I won't be surprised if he starts. 

1 hour ago, TFord and TRavs said:

I am extremely curious to why foreman is starting over Bess. Yes I see the PT is the same but on paper and from what I've seen and heard, foreman is a better Reggie and Bess is a beast 

If Foreman doesn't start and Bess does, we'd have one starter over 6-5.... and none over 6-7

Echoing what others have said, I just don't see Bess as a 4. I could be completely wrong, but it seems like we'll need him more on the wing, unless both Welmer and Foreman struggle to come back. 

Glad to to see other opinions, and optimism with regard to other players. I'm excited to see how these guys all come together as a (hopefully) successful team. 

Edit: Should say I don't think we will do as well if most of Bess's minutes are at the 4. 

6 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be overly surprised if he starts either! Johnson came on strong at the end of the year, we just have a sort of logjam at the 3/4. He needs to become more productive and consistent in order to beat out our other solid options at his position, in my mind.

7 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

As you noticed, it had something to do with rotations, and the fact that we are weak at the 5 spot. Honestly, I expect more from Welmer than Foreman, I just am concerned about his durability, and would hope that the staff is too. Bess will probably end up being more valuable than Foreman, Bess just plays a position where we have more depth.

Honestly, and not from any deep knowledge of basketball which I do not have, I think Ford will have to play this group together and sort out what is that he wants to do and who is going to go where. We do have the talent. Last season Ford showed he could coach a depleted team and improved it considerably by the end of the season. I guess he will have to do this again and it will be fun to watch what the results are.

It seems to me people are underestimating DJ Foreman. The guy played 26 mpg averaging 8 and 6 as a soph in the Big 10. Does someone have info that he isn't healthy yet or won't be to start the season?

I can't even guess who starts, hell I'd bet Ford is still pretty open. I don't understand wanting Bess to play the 4. As bigs we have Foreman, French, Johnson, Welmer, and Rasheed why would you want to play Bess at the 4? If he plays there we aren't as good as I thought we'd be

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I can't even guess who starts, hell I'd bet Ford is still pretty open. I don't understand wanting Bess to play the 4. As bigs we have Foreman, French, Johnson, Welmer, and Rasheed why would you want to play Bess at the 4? If he plays there we aren't as good as I thought we'd be

True, Ford will provide all of us MBM's with the answers in due time.  Until then, opinions are free to post, and free to criticize.

All of the media reports, backed up by his stats, suggest that Bess is a poor outside shooter.  He is 2-11 from the Arc for his career.  In 500 minutes of playing time, he has shot 11 three pointers, or less than one per 40 minute game.  The East Lansing sports pundits also wrote that he had limited outside game.  And they saw the kid play.  So if you want a wing that doesn't have to be closely guarded outside of 15 feet, then Bess might fit the bill. He might be better suited for playing closer to the paint. Again, positional numbers don't mean anything this day.  You might see Bess, Foreman and French all on the floor at the same time.  But the scheme at the time might be an outside-in game.  You could get away with that if your other two players are three point shooters, such as Roby and AD.  Bess' primary job might be to set picks for shooters.

It sure is nice having so many options at a starting lineup to talk about now it sure beats the last three seasons.

"Starting is only important in HS ball."- Rick Majerus

Here's what I'm hoping for; that our high expectations for these new guys are met. If they are, I can see Travis crafting a team that will push the ball constantly in an attempt to wear down opponents. The concern with this is you have to rebound the ball before you can push it. Given that two of our bigs will be in recovery mode, one is an untested FR, and the other a low MPG guy from a team that wasn't exactly loaded w/ 4 and 5 stars raises questions about how good we'll be at pulling down boards. Supposedly Goodwin like to rebound, and Bess is coming from MSU where Izzo puts a lot of emphasis on rebounding, it wouldn't surprise me if these two, along with French, are our best bets on the boards.

I personally would like to go big and strong and enjoy being physically superior for a change.

Foreman, French, Bess, Adonys, Goodwin

Roby, JJ, JB, Rasheed off the bench.

Then when Graves becomes eligible - he takes JB's spot in the rotation.

People who think Welmer is going see the floor I think are going to be very dissapointed. 

15 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I agree - don't sell him short.  We know what we have in him and how he developed over the year - the rest of these transfers are still unknown quantities to us.

29 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

I personally would like to go big and strong and enjoy being physically superior for a change.

People who think Welmer is going see the floor I think are going to be very disappointed. 

Welmer won't even be fully recovered from surgery until around the time practice starts in October. I like him as a role player moving forward. He's just not going to get many minutes early in the season as he gets back up to speed.

26 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

People who think Welmer is going see the floor I think are going to be very dissapointed. 

Welmer averaged around 7 points per game, 20 minutes.  Those are good numbers.  He hit around 40% from 3.  He was even pretty effective around the rim at times.  He will definitely get playing time.  May start.  The same can be said for Johnson.  Honestly, Foreman, French, Bess, and Anthony haven't proven they can average 7 points in 20 minutes. We held opponents to a respectable 68 points down the stretch.  Why wouldn't Welmer play?