FInal Roster? Potential line-ups thread

9 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Not knocking Roby and I appreciate him sticking it out through bad years with limited bodies. I just think if we want to be better than under the Crews years, the Ford recruits should get the majority of the minutes. I don't want to start a senior just out of loyalty, because the transfers came in to play bigger roles.

So had Tatum come here and Crews was still fired you would say that Tatum should not have gotten big minutes this last year because he was not a Ford recruit?  Ford if he is smart will play the best players he has to win regardless how they got here.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, For-DaLove said:

Bess will play a lot because he will be one of the most athletic players in the A10. I hope we don't take for granted how talented we are going to be. Jalen Johnson will probably come off the bench and he's a guy who I expect to be all-conference by the end of his career at SLU.

Buckle up, boys. 

Agree. At least your evaluation has a lot more merit that V-Time aka StL Hoops Outsider.  No one knows who will be in the various rotations.  Bess brings power, rebounding and defense.  Anything he contributes on the offense will be a plus.  I'm glad he is a Billiken.  Trying to pit one Billiken v another at this stage is utterly ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Agree. At least your evaluation has a lot more merit that V-Time aka StL Hoops Outsider.  No one knows who will be in the various rotations.  Bess brings power, rebounding and defense.  Anything he contributes on the offense will be a plus.  I'm glad he is a Billiken.  Trying to pit one Billiken v another at this stage is utterly ridiculous. 

The better players should play the most.  Most of Ford's guys are better. There is a role for Roby, just not over Bess. Roby is solid, Bess is spectacular.

1 hour ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

The better players should play the most.  Most of Ford's guys are better. There is a role for Roby, just not over Bess. Roby is solid, Bess is spectacular.

Your link on Bess' PG skills didn't work, or maybe doesn't exist?  I'm still amazed that you are singling out Bess v Roby.  They are two different players with different skill sets.  But it is obvious you haven't seen either play or you would know that.

Here is a LINK that works, describing what Bess brings to the table, and what he needs to work on.  You will also read Izzo's comment that losing 3 players (including Bess) wasn't a negative. Since you are a card carrying member of the Tom Izzo fan club, I thought you would appreciate his comment.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2016/03/michigan_state_forward_marvin.html

I hope Bess has worked on his perimeter game to where he can compete with Roby, Bishop, AD, Johnson and Goodwin for minutes at the wing.  I anticipate him to be more of a penetrater and finisher at the rim working with French, Foreman and Anthony.  I'm glad he is a Billiken.  He will bring energy, toughness, defense and rebounding.  If he can triple his career scoring average, he will be a great addition.

By the way, Davell Roby WILL end up as one of the top Billiken career scorers of all time, likely in the Top 25 and possibly in the Top 20.

11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Your link on Bess' PG skills didn't work, or maybe doesn't exist?  I'm still amazed that you are singling out Bess v Roby.  They are two different players with different skill sets.  But it is obvious you haven't seen either play or you would know that.

Here is a LINK that works, describing what Bess brings to the table, and what he needs to work on.  You will also read Izzo's comment that losing 3 players (including Bess) wasn't a negative. Since you are a card carrying member of the Tom Izzo fan club, I thought you would appreciate his comment.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2016/03/michigan_state_forward_marvin.html

I hope Bess has worked on his perimeter game to where he can compete with Roby, Bishop, AD, Johnson and Goodwin for minutes at the wing.  I anticipate him to be more of a penetrater and finisher at the rim working with French, Foreman and Anthony.  I'm glad he is a Billiken.  He will bring energy, toughness, defense and rebounding.  If he can triple his career scoring average, he will be a great addition.

By the way, Davell Roby WILL end up as one of the top Billiken career scorers of all time, likely in the Top 25 and possibly in the Top 20.

A guy who avg 6ppg as a freshman and sophomore being able to finish top 20-25 all time in scoring after a solid junior year is NOTHING to brag about. It speaks to the turnover within the roster over the years.  Hopefully Ford can stabilize the program with some 4 year guys that can blow away those numbers. I'm assuming the entire class of McCall, Loe, Nett, and Evans are in that range as well.

What's funny about all of this is when the 2014 class signed, I was the one saying Roby was really a pg and the board was in an uproar saying it didn't make sense. It was obvious to me. I've said before honestly I don't know who will start. if you go really small with Bess and Adonys at forward I could see Roby starting. 9rbif for some reason Goodwin isn't ready on day 1 I could see Roby starting at pg, but I think if everyone lives up to expectations you have Goodwin, Adonys, Bess, and Foreman starting and the 5th spot a toss up between Johnson, French, and Anthony, and possibly Roby.

you need to change your medication . 3 points per game during a two year span and an 18% 3pt shooting percentage gives no indication of someone being spectacular.

Seriously all that needs to be said is we will be better next year. Stop looking at stats. It means nothing. 40% shooting on the worst scoring team in the conference means almost nothing. Also there are a lot of things that are not put down in stats that we will be better at, I.e. better ball handling and general defensive movements. Maybe that can go down in turnover or something but the point is stop looking at the stats. 

Secondly I think it is very true with Ford and saying there is no worry for recruiting. It's the truth. The only take away is mizzou might be fighting for the same recruits, but the future won't be how it was the past year. We won't have 8 more recruits in a year. Maybe 2-4 every year, 4 max. There is plent from the local area plus wherever in the US since only 1 recruit from the 8 recruits we have is local. 

Also I think it should be noted that Johnson will be a beast. One of the hardest working guys I've heard. 

If we'd signed Bess in 2014 instead of Roby we'd have projected him to be the best incoming player in the league and future player of the year type guy. He would've been a huge steal.  I don't know where we got to the point of thinking Big 10 and Big East starters are not good enough to start for us.

39 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

If we'd signed Bess in 2014 instead of Roby we'd have projected him to be the best incoming player in the league and future player of the year type guy. He would've been a huge steal.  I don't know where we got to the point of thinking Big 10 and Big East starters are not good enough to start for us.

Those of us with Roby in the starting five over Bess may not be saying what you think we're saying. 

I think Bess is likely a better player.

However, he's a bit of a tweener - he will need to be accommodated in the rotation so that he's out there with other guys who can shoot (like when Johnson/Welmer are one of the bigs). Sometimes your best five don't start the game, rather you shift around your rotation to make sure everyone is put in the spot where they are most likely to succeed. During our breakout year with Majerus, this is partly why Jett and Ellis came off the bench together - in order to maintain our spacing, those two guys complemented one another nicely.

Surely, as a coach, you know these things. 

37 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

As a coach, I think Bess will hit shots. His shooting motion is easy and repeatable, which generally leads to accuracy. I think knowing he will get minutes will allow him to have better shot selection and in turn yield a better percentage. 

I hope you're correct! He's never been seen or performed as a shooter in the past, however, so I also hope you recognize why others may not share your perspective. 

4 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Idk what's happening in this thread, but nothing I've seen from Roby indicates he plays anything like a PG

The point I'm a least trying to make is that Roby can help Gordon with running the offense at the beginning of the season as Gordon adjusts to the college game.  

Last season Roby lead the team in both assists and assist to turnover ratio.  

Beautiful stroke, on balance, feet always square with the rim, gets leg into the shot. He's going to make that.  He will play some 4 as well and blow by guys or be left wide open.

He had a big body as a h.s. player - he must be very strong by now.  I guess I did not notice it with him in practice sweats sitting on the bench.

7 hours ago, Old guy said:

People, I read this thread and see the expectations rising to the clouds for next season. We may be right about the expectations in some regards, for example we have possibly the best talented team the Bills have ever seen (of course there may be some room for disagreement there), and Ford plus his staff are not passive pushovers. That said, and before we let our expectations dictate what we think of the coach and team when they start playing next year (like the fans at OK State did), we need to keep in mind some reality.

First, no one in the team walks on water, at least not by himself. Next season, like all seasons, will be a team effort. How the team plays together will determine success or failure.

Second, the team (the coaches and players) have a lot of work to do blending the different capabilities and strengths of the many new players (to the team) into a workable unit. This is of course preferable to playing each person on his own, as in a neighborhood free for all brawl like game. Our success will depend on how well the team works together as a team, not upon the individual stars hot dogging around.

Third, when the team gets to play as a unit, it is entirely possible that hot dogging, full court breakouts and dunks will be perhaps more muted that what expectations lead many to believe. The fact that we have the capability does not mean we should use it willy nilly or let it get out of control.

Finally, Crews had some talent in his teams (Malik, Yacoubou, Carter) which he never ever had the ability to inspire or to make play as a team... Of course, Crews and his team were bad because the staff could not recruit. However, whenever they got, by whatever reason, some player with a higher level of talent they could never get him blended into a team effort that made sense. Bad recruiting, wasted talent (not that they had overwhelming levels of talent in the team), and lack of effective team play, did the team in. 

From here on it is up to Ford and his staff to forge the talent we have obtained by excellent recruiting into a winning team. I have every expectation he will do so, but this may not be done overnight or without some degree of internal friction within the team. Someone has to sit on the bench while 8 or 10 people play most of the game. Our fate depends upon the team he creates and how well individuals within the team will accept bench time and team playing. 

What I want to see next year is a solid winning season, any flashy plays from individual players will be an extra added bonus when we get them. I am writing this because I think the OK State issues with Ford were caused by excessive expectation levels. Now it is the time to get the team together and look forward to having a winning team next season, not the time to let our expectations raise to the clouds only to be disappointed when we do not get invited to NCAA. 

I'll agree that we don't want the players to be hot dogs — attention seekers — but within the context of playing games of winning basketball, I'll take all of the fast breaks and dunks and alley-oops and 10th-row blocks (albeit it's better to block the shot and retain possession) that the Bills can manage!  Coach Ford won't want them to be muted — I remember Durando's recap of last year's Greenville exhibition discussed how Coach wants the players to yell when they dunk — and neither do we.  That "muted" mood is what got us where we have been with Crews's teams.  Winning teams and winning players have a hint of flamboyance and edge.  (A "hint.")