Rasheed's role next year

like someone else has said, this seems like a pick from the old era, here's where I want to discuss why he is on the team. 

First off, he is a one year grad transfer. 

His main role seems to be that he will be the off court leader and role model for the new guys (keep them in line) as well as be a motivator in practice and games. 

We already have scorers, yes we can always add more, but we would need another rebounder which seems to be his role. 

He also fits the Center role we are missing. I expect him to put in more minutes while Welmer is out and help out with rebounds in game. 

What are your thoughts to his role? I've said mine 

After I saw he commited I felt relief, but not excited.

Not only do we lack depth in terms of numbers at the 5, but we lack quality. He helps us with depth and patches a hole, but doesn't improve the quality.  I'm glad we are not on thin ice at that position anymore, but I don't see this commitment winning us any games down the stretch.

I hope he proves me wrong and has a monster year.

27 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

After I saw he commited I felt relief, but not excited.

Not only do we lack depth in terms of numbers at the 5, but we lack quality. He helps us with depth and patches a hole, but doesn't improve the quality.  I'm glad we are not on thin ice at that position anymore, but I don't see this commitment winning us any games down the stretch.

I hope he proves me wrong and has a monster year.

Experience.

He will be two years older than any other big on the team.  He will clearly be better than any other big we had coming off the bench last year, that alone is a breath of fresh air to me. Probably shoots FT better than Reggie did, though he did surprise us some times, didn't he?

mhg

44 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

like someone else has said, this seems like a pick from the old era, here's where I want to discuss why he is on the team. 

First off, he is a one year grad transfer. 

His main role seems to be that he will be the off court leader and role model for the new guys (keep them in line) as well as be a motivator in practice and games. 

We already have scorers, yes we can always add more, but we would need another rebounder which seems to be his role. 

He also fits the Center role we are missing. I expect him to put in more minutes while Welmer is out and help out with rebounds in game. 

What are your thoughts to his role? I've said mine 

I think he will serve as a much needed practice player which should help with the development of French. Probably won't see much court time but should be a serviceable backup if we get into foul trouble. 

Just because he did not play minutes for SH does not mean he will not be a contributor for SLU.  SH did not push him out even though he was buried on the depth chart.  So either he has some talent or he is one of those guys that helps a team in other ways.  Big men take time to develop.  Don't know why he did not play more at SH, but based on the number of P-5 offers he had out of HS I am hoping he surprises.  IT COULD HAPPEN.

Insurance policy.  Foreman hip injury.  Welmer foot injury.  French a freshman.  He also gives Santos a representative big to bang against in practice.

He was situated behind Angel Delgado and Ismael Sanogo at the Hall.  These guys combined for over 55 minutes per game --- in a 40 minute game.  And both were higher rated recruits.  He can likely be as someone said above, a Cory Remekun-type player.  We need insurance for the PF position and as a one-year grad student commitment, we get all that at a very cheap price.  At 6'9" and 235 pounds plus his age and experience, there are very few players in the A10 of equal girth ----Will Magerty at Davidson, Sam Miller at Dayton, Jordan Robinson at Duquesne, Chris Downing at Fordham, Daniel Relvao at Mason, Arnaldo Toro and Collin Smith at Geedubya, Rasheen Holloway and Malik Hines at Umass, Mike Layssard and Andre Berry at URI, Grant Golden and Paul Friendshuh at Richmond, Jai Williams at the Joeys, and Amadi Ikpeze at Bonaventure.  That's about it.

And before you say "who the hell is  (fill in the blank with maybe the exception of Holloway), that's my point exactly.  None of these guys have a resume,so to speak. Foreman, French and now Rasheed gives us three of the bigger brute force players in the A10 --- if they play that way.  I like it.  

12 hours ago, Taj79 said:

very few players in the A10 of equal girth ----Will Magerty at Davidson, Sam Miller at Dayton, Jordan Robinson at Duquesne, Chris Downing at Fordham, Daniel Relvao at Mason, Arnaldo Toro and Collin Smith at Geedubya, Rasheen Holloway and Malik Hines at Umass, Mike Layssard and Andre Berry at URI, Grant Golden and Paul Friendshuh at Richmond, Jai Williams at the Joeys, and Amadi Ikpeze at Bonaventure.  That's about it.

Man, you get around.

Thanks Ankiel ---- but it is as simple as a roster check.  As a Billiken fan, I like to do the homework that comes with knowing who the opponents are,not only by school, but also roster-wise --- especially when the comings and goings that make up roster moves today are so numerous.  

Traditionally,the A10 is not a big man's league.  And I'm not sure the classic definition of "big" even exists today.  I would have to look this up but I think the last really good big man in the league was Andrew Nicholson at Bonaventure and you could debate whether he was a stretch four or not.  The last truly interior big I can recall is Lavoy Allen back in his and the school's Temple days in the A10.  The A10 plays more like a guard-dominant league with the "tweeners" also doing well.  Temple always had those 6'5" to 6'7" guys back in the Dionte Christmas mold.  St.Joe's legendary team had nary a big on  it.  Xavier was composed mostly of tweener and guards and don't try to sell me Kenny Frease was good.  It would have been very interesting to see Steve McElvane play all four years at Dayton.  

If we can defend the perimeter against the likes of Jaylen Adams, Matt Mobley, Mike Lewis and Peyton Aldridge, we would force the game to be taken inside.  And I don't see anyone really scary down low in the A10 to worry about.  On paper, the make up of this team is shaping up nice and very impressive rising from the recent dregs of [dead] ineptitude.