Tilmon to Mizzou thread

Just now, jimbofive said:

Cry me a river.   like this doesn't happen to SLU athletes.  Not saying it can't or won't happen (look at The Incident).  But Mizzou recruits basketball players, period, and could care less about the character of the person.  Tell me I'm wrong.

SPUMAC.  Still Producing Unwashed Miscreants And Cheating.

Hi Jimbo, thanks for your input, although it's fairly hostile. I think you need to reread because you're missing my point. Please let me know if you have further questions.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, goonaha said:

Hi Jimbo, thanks for your input, although it's fairly hostile. I think you need to reread because you're missing my point. Please let me know if you have further questions.

I won't say for sure that him being black didn't have something to do with it.  But where there's smoke there's fire, and if I see a young person changing lanes or swerving erratically, I'm pulling them over.  The rest of the story unfolds pretty easily.  Drunk/distracted drivers can be spotted a 1/2 mile away.  I haven't left a lane (even an inch) without meaning to in many years.  At best he wasn't paying attention driving.  At worst, he was drunk or high.  Open/closed case.

I had wild college days, and I know sh*t happens, but if I'm a legit NBA prospect, I try not to get arrested before I've ever even played a game in college.  

Maybe it's a case of racial profiling, maybe it isn't.  But if I'm a black kid from St. Louis considering the Tigers right now, this arrest gives me pause.  Mizzou already has a national reputation for being hostile to black students.  Arresting an incoming freshman for such a trivial offense doesn't help.

4 hours ago, goonaha said:

Well passing a sobriety test can give you a pretty good indication of "how drunk" (The answer is: not drunk). 

Again, assuming.  What if he was over the limit and the cops gave him a break on a ticket.  Maybe he was a jerk to the cops and they took him for that.  Maybe he put himself in that position to begin with. 

I stated alternative hypothetical possibilities for you to think about as opposed to your irresponsible racially charged accusation that the cops stopped him because he had the audacity to drive a vehicle as a black man in the city limits of Columbia. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, but it didn't need to be stated.  We don't know what happened. 

I'm just asking, could it be remotely possible that an innocent cop stopped a vehicle weaving like it was driven by a drunk?  Could it be possible that the cop did not notice it was a black man beforehand because it was nighttime?  Could it be possible that Tilmon was a jerk to the police, he was over the limit, but they felt like having mercy on him anyway and just arrested him for a minor violation?  Sure these are possible.  Could they have been racist cops looking for black man to pull over?  Sure.  All I'm saying is just don't go to the most racially charged conclusion first.

With that said, Tilmon is a kid.  Let the coach handle the situation and let's not make this a bigger deal than it is.  I'm sure he's embarrassed.  Let's not be hypocrits.

3 minutes ago, HoosierBilliken said:

I stated alternative hypothetical possibilities for you to think about as opposed to your irresponsible racially charged accusation that the cops stopped him because he had the audacity to drive a vehicle as a black man in the city limits of Columbia. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, but it didn't need to be stated.  We don't know what happened. 

I'm just asking, could it be remotely possible that an innocent cop stopped a vehicle weaving like it was driven by a drunk?  Could it be possible that the cop did not notice it was a black man beforehand because it was nighttime?  Could it be possible that Tilmon was a jerk to the police, he was over the limit, but they felt like having mercy on him anyway and just arrested him for a minor violation?  Sure these are possible.  Could they have been racist cops looking for black man to pull over?  Sure.  All I'm saying is just don't go to the most racially charged conclusion first.

With that said, Tilmon is a kid.  Let the coach handle the situation and let's not make this a bigger deal than it is.  I'm sure he's embarrassed.  Let's not be hypocrits.

Hey man, whatever makes the most sense in your head is fine with me. I said what makes the most sense in my head, based on the facts of the case that have been disclosed so far, the history of the MUPD, and the reality of this world. But sure, I guess a more plausible scenario is that Tilmon was swerving so badly that he was pulled over and then somehow miraculously passed a sobriety test. 

Just now, goonaha said:

Hey man, whatever makes the most sense in your head is fine with me. I said what makes the most sense in my head, based on the facts of the case that have been disclosed so far, the history of the MUPD, and the reality of this world. But sure, I guess a more plausible scenario is that Tilmon was swerving so badly that he was pulled over and then somehow miraculously passed a sobriety test. 

Let's come to a peaceful resolution.  Can we agree that if Tilmon would've made the right choice to begin with and come to SLU he wouldn't be having these problems?

1 minute ago, HoosierBilliken said:

Let's come to a peaceful resolution.  Can we agree that if Tilmon would've made the right choice to begin with and come to SLU he wouldn't be having these problems?

Sure, because St. Louis Metropolitan Police have better things to do than arrest kids for MIPs. 

Even though I think the cops actually might have cut Tilmon some slack here, this won't help Mizzou in East St. Louis.  They had a tarnished rep in some circles in East St. Louis before this happened when it came to looking out for East St. Louis athletes.  Hiring Martin helped repair that some.  This might set Mizzou right back to where they were before they hired Martin.

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

In MO if you are under 21 you can basically get a DUI for having a couple sips of a drink.  A 0.02 is considered intoxicated for a minor.  The cops cut him a big time break by not asking him to take a breathalyzer test.

Pretty much the only point here. Thinking Tilmon was somehow wronged, and not let of the hook, is hilarious. They didn't ask him to take a breathalyzer?? I guess I failed to read the full article earlier: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-jeremiah-tilmon-arrested-illinois-missouri-20170619-story.html

Drinking and driving your first month on campus... smooth move 

13 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Maybe it's a case of racial profiling, maybe it isn't.  But if I'm a black kid from St. Louis considering the Tigers right now, this arrest gives me pause.  Mizzou already has a national reputation for being hostile to black students.  Arresting an incoming freshman for such a trivial offense doesn't help.

This incident in isolation is not a big deal to happen to a college kid, but when it happens to a kid who it has been said has "red flags"... this supports that narrative. The kid got into trouble less than a month on campus. It may speak to bigger problems.

Anybody SPUMAC was going to hire was going to be more credible than the Division 2 coach they previously had, and Martin will appeal to some local recruits, but as it possibly impacts SLU's success in the future... I'm not worried at all. As you touch on, Mizzou has a long history of racial issues... Martin figures to help a bit with that, but it won't go away quickly. Also, when we go up against Mizzou for local recruits, Ford and Tate are well positioned to tell them the downside of Columbia - Ford left as a player and Tate left as an assistant. They could certainly highlight some concerns about attending there. Also, Ford has mentioned that from his experience at OSU and his previous time in the A-10, there are some urban kids who are simply not comfortable attending a big state school in a small town. The Big East and to a lesser extent A-10 schools have had success attracting these kind of kids for years. Ford will be good at getting those kids who will be a good fit at SLU.