Tilmon to Mizzou thread

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, 615Billiken said:

Interesting read:

"To get a player, you're going to have to hire his parent (or relative or AAU coach)"

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19408831/the-art-package-deals-coach-father-son-college-basketball

"Michael Porter Sr. said he never used his son as a ploy to get a job whenever he talked to coaches who were interested in hiring him."

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha

"I swear I didn't even notice anything but her smile" - Michael Porter  Sr. when asked what he liked most about Kate Upton. 

1 hour ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

"Michael Porter Sr. said he never used his son as a ploy to get a job whenever he talked to coaches who were interested in hiring him."

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha

On Fri May 19 2017 at 10:06 AM, Taj79 said:

Tilmon may have signed with Mizzou but I think there are going to be a whole bunch of hurdles for him to jump and hoops to go through before he sets a foot on the court.  Qualifying for one.  Clearing the NCAA Clearinghouse for another.  Stay eligible.  Can the kid do what he has to do to escape the friendly confines of East St. Louis or not?  Lots of stories like this for other kids like this -- and not all end well.

Plus, with the rumors that Jontay is reclassifying in order to play with his brother, that would seem to indicate its now or never for that to happen which I translate to me Porter, Jr. is one-and-done.  This time next year, Mizzou's recruiting efforts could al be set back to square one.  Lots to play out before we see this saga end.

Martin said Tilmon has good grades and no eligibility issues earlier this week.

5 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Yes and when Frazier left SLU due to grades Stewart said he had no eligibility problems for Missouri.  Go figure

Wow, you've been carrying that one a long time.  Frazier was one of my favorite Tigers of all time when I was relatively young, still is.  And I'm no longer young.  Was that the Ron Ekker (sp?) years? Pure as the driven snow. 

1 hour ago, MUTGR said:

Wow, you've been carrying that one a long time.  Frazier was one of my favorite Tigers of all time when I was relatively young, still is.  And I'm no longer young.  Was that the Ron Ekker (sp?) years? Pure as the driven snow. 

Ron Coleman 

10 hours ago, MUTGR said:

It was simply an example.  Given that he was the only player that left SLU to go to Missouri who had a poor academic record it was easy for me to use it.  Since I am not a fan of the Missouri BB team I really did not keep up with all the other potential academic slight of hands that may have taken place there.

They only have had questionable academic sleight-of-hand with players named "Ricky." Otherwise they're clear. 

Taj may or may not remember if this is true, but it seems to me that when Frazier transferred, we were able to determine that he had the same grade point average as Bluto, leading us to a metaphysical discussion of whether or not that was really a transfer. ;) 

9 minutes ago, bonwich said:

They only have had questionable academic sleight-of-hand with players named "Ricky." Otherwise they're clear. 

Taj may or may not remember if this is true, but it seems to me that when Frazier transferred, we were able to determine that he had the same grade point average as Bluto, leading us to a metaphysical discussion of whether or not that was really a transfer. ;) 

Well the other Ricky was an issue also now that you mention it but honestly if you have a problem a couple of times you probably have had problems that never got caught.

38 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Well the other Ricky was an issue also now that you mention it but honestly if you have a problem a couple of times you probably have had problems that never got caught.

There. I fixed it for myself. 

Didn't Clemons go on to be a US Senator and marry Mandy Pepperidge?  Wasn't there also an issue with Randy Pulley here that miraculously disappeared at Mizzou?  Also our transfer that went to Kent State?What was his name?  I guess you can do anything with majors like PE and Parks & Recreation and Communications (oh wait,thatwasmymajor.  Strike that last one.....)

My only metaphysical discussions occurred on the upper deck at Clarks ..... which would likely explain my lack of recollection ......

42 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I don't take any enjoyment in this news. Regardless of one's feelings toward Mizzou's basketball program, having a thriving and successful flagship state university is important.

Interesting article.  A big part of the problem then and now, is the hyper political faculty:

"In the end, it’s not necessarily a bad thing that Mizzou is losing certain kinds of students, said Mr. Hudson, the journalism professor. He pointed to people who might criticize the group that led the 2015 demonstrations, a collective named for the year the university admitted its first black students.

"Maybe," he said, "we don’t want students who aren’t open to the issues that were raised by Concerned Student 1950.""

Mizzou was at record enrollment two years ago.  It still has over 30,000 students. I still know many people whose kids are going there.  I just spoke with a co-worker whose daughter just graduated from one of top local Catholic high schools, was near the top of her class academically and she's going to Mizzou with a lot of her friends.  She looked at KU, Miami of Ohio, Indiana, SMU and still chose Mizzou.   I have another co-worker whose son graduated from SLUH, had many options and just finished his freshmen year at Mizzou and apparently loves it. 

This certainly is a serious situation but Mizzou will survive and be just fine. Mizzou is going to have to get aggressive in recruiting students like Arkansas and some other big state schools have been doing targeting high school students in neighboring states. 

10 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

Mizzou was at record enrollment two years ago.  It still has over 30,000 students. I still know many people whose kids are going there.  I just spoke with a co-worker whose daughter just graduated from one of top local Catholic high schools, was near the top of her class academically and she's going to Mizzou with a lot of her friends.  She looked at KU, Miami of Ohio, Indiana, SMU and still chose Mizzou.   I have another co-worker who son graduated from SLUH, had many options and just finished his freshmen year at Mizzou and apparently loves it. 

This certainly is a serious situation but Mizzou will survive and be just fine. Mizzou is going to have to get aggressive in recruiting students like Arkansas and some other big state schools have been doing targeting high school students in neighboring states. 

Anecdotally, Arkansas and Ole Miss appear to be hitting our area hard.  And Missourah State seems to have gained in popularity, possibly due to the political factors you mentioned. Anyone upset about Melissa Click would likely feel more at home in Springfield.

I'm sure in another year or two (maybe more?) Mizzou will be back on track.

16 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

Interesting article.  A big part of the problem then and now, is the hyper political faculty:

"In the end, it’s not necessarily a bad thing that Mizzou is losing certain kinds of students, said Mr. Hudson, the journalism professor. He pointed to people who might criticize the group that led the 2015 demonstrations, a collective named for the year the university admitted its first black students.

"Maybe," he said, "we don’t want students who aren’t open to the issues that were raised by Concerned Student 1950.""

Mizzou was at record enrollment two years ago.  It still has over 30,000 students. I still know many people whose kids are going there.  I just spoke with a co-worker whose daughter just graduated from one of top local Catholic high schools, was near the top of her class academically and she's going to Mizzou with a lot of her friends.  She looked at KU, Miami of Ohio, Indiana, SMU and still chose Mizzou.   I have another co-worker who son graduated from SLUH, had many options and just finished his freshmen year at Mizzou and apparently loves it. 

Thank you so, so much!!   I have really been worried about Mizzou!!  Your references to two (2) unknown people you know this going there DOES confirm the rumors I had heard that the University would be closing its doors permanently next week.  Whewwww!!  And upon second reading, I now see they are both probably Catholics -- hence the link to SLU!!

And all this great information on a SLU basketball webesite!!  Much appreciated!!  

5 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Thank you so, so much!!   I have really been worried about Mizzou!!  Your references to two (2) unknown people you know this going there DOES confirm the rumors I had heard that the University would be closing its doors permanently next week.  Whewwww!!  And upon second reading, I now see they are both probably Catholics -- hence the link to SLU!!

And all this great information on a SLU basketball webesite!!  Much appreciated!!  

Anytime. I'm always happy to respond to posts about Mizzou on SLU's basketball message board. 

38 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Anecdotally, Arkansas and Ole Miss appear to be hitting our area hard.  And Missourah State seems to have gained in popularity, possibly due to the political factors you mentioned. Anyone upset about Melissa Click would likely feel more at home in Springfield.

I'm sure in another year or two (maybe more?) Mizzou will be back on track.

It isn't Melissa Click specifically that upset people that I have heard question sending their kids to Mizzou.  It has more to do with a school losing total control over an issue that should have been dealt with before it ever got to that point.  Click is just one of the representations of the school losing complete control over the situation.

35 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Those schools are almost all equal academically and mizzou would give her instate tuition so makes sense. 

Not to #wellactually, but I will anyways. Mizzou and KU are the academically equal ones. Miami, SMU, and IU are all better.