Durando Article

Very nice article from Stu today.  I am really starting to get excited about next season.  No mention of Foreman being injured which was welcome news. 

Also I thought it was interesting that Ford stated he wants 3-4 2018 recruits.  

It's interesting reading between the lines on Ford's roster comments.  First comment implies he is still recruiting for next season.

Ford has two scholarships remaining and seems intent on using one and possibly pocketing the other. His one target is a post player who is a “true inside guy” to provide depth, and that could come in the form of a graduate transfer.

True there are two available schollies for next season.  But with Santos, Thatch and Gordon for 2018, we are already at 12 for 2018/19.  So yeah, the only thing that makes sense for next season is a grad transfer as #13.  This would make signing a freshman a longshot.  Pickett is not a 'true inside guy' so he is apparently off the radar.

But then.

“I need a scholarship or two for that (2018) class because I like that class,” Ford said. “We’re focused on it hard. We’re having some success, but I’d like to be able to sign three or four in that class.”

There is currently only one scholarship available.  The 'or two' is what is interesting.  He is counting Thatch and Gordon as two in that class. The third available scholarship would again suggest a Grad Transfer for this next season.  If he signs a freshman or transfer than we are full for 18/19.   Is Ford already assuming someone will transfer out for the 4th (or even the 3rd and 4th)?

Always over recruit.  And let's not start riding someone out of town.  Any of the 10 scholarship players (excluding Senior Roby) on hand would be eligible for transferring.

12 minutes ago, slusam said:

Stats are very underwhelming but he is 6'9" 240 pounds. Fits a need

Plus of a grad transfer is your not stuck with them if it does not work out. Getting a decent mid-season transfer (like Graves) is rare, so you sacrifice very little on a gamble.

52 minutes ago, slusam said:

Rashad Anthony,grad transfer from Seton Hall, is visiting SLU tomorrow. Stats are very underwhelming but he is 6'9" 240 pounds. Fits a need

The stats are certainly underwhelming, but we just need somebody to play defense, provide some depth in case of injury or foul trouble. If he could deliver something resembling Cory Remekun, this will be a good fit. Played and practiced against good competition. 

Regarding 2018, Ford has a lot of irons in the fire and it is my guess he is confident he can land a better player in that class than Pickett.

No mention of Hines. Wonder if he will go elsewhere. He could definitely contribute in the OVC. I guess we either end up with "saved scholarship" or try for a second grad transfer.

Nice job by Stu again. Covering recruiting can be fun! This is the type of articles other beat reporters typically deliver. Nice to get some offseason reports.

14 minutes ago, ACE said:

The stats are certainly underwhelming, but we just need somebody to play defense, provide some depth in case of injury or foul trouble. If he could deliver something resembling Cory Remekun, this will be a good fit. Played and practiced against good competition. 

Regarding 2018, Ford has a lot of irons in the fire and it is my guess he is confident he can land a better player in that class than Pickett.

No mention of Hines. Wonder if he will go elsewhere. He could definitely contribute in the OVC. I guess we either end up with "saved scholarship" or try for a second grad transfer.

Nice job by Stu again. Covering recruiting can be fun! This is the type of articles other beat reporters typically deliver. Nice to get some offseason reports.

6'9 240 to play 10-15 mins a game? Yes please 

Something you guys seemed to gloss over.... seems to answer a constant board discussion

"When considering who might play point guard, the first name Ford mentions is Goodwin because of his tendencies to be unselfish and vocal. He also mentioned Bishop, Henriquez and Roby. Graves also would be in the mix but won’t be available until after the fall semester."

3 hours ago, ACE said:

Hines was a walk on and didn't take up a scholarship last season.  So his isn't 'saved'.  If he comes back, it would likely be as a walk on again.  Anyway he comes back, he will be a welcome addition to the team.  We didn't need him in 15/16, we didn't need him in 16/17, but he ended up playing 1334 minutes in those two seasons and scored 303 points.  You never have enough players.

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Hines was a walk on and didn't take up a scholarship last season.  So his isn't 'saved'.  If he comes back, it would likely be as a walk on.  Otherwise, he will be a welcome addition to the team.  We didn't need him in 15/16, we didn't need him in 16/17, but he ended up playing 1334 minutes in those two seasons and scored 303 points.  You never have enough players.

Not sure I agree that we didn't need him in 16/17.  We would have had real problems with only having 7 players available at times last year.

4 hours ago, slusam said:

Rashad Anthony,grad transfer from Seton Hall, is visiting SLU tomorrow. Stats are very underwhelming but he is 6'9" 240 pounds. Fits a need

Yes his stats are weird.  He appeared in 29 games, 7th on the team (so he was in the rotation).  But he average only 4.4 minutes per game.  That is what is strange to me.  He shot 6 times, yes 6 times total, in 29 games and made all 3 of his free throws.  18 rebounds, 1 block. 

1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

Not sure I agree that we didn't need him in 16/17.  We would have had real problems with only having 7 players available at times last year.

We are in agreement here cgeldmacher.  What I am saying in 'blue font' is that most of the posters on this board didn't want to see him on the floor either season and now want to toss him into the OVC.  I feel he was a very valuable asset both seasons and want him back next season.

10 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Hines was a walk on and didn't take up a scholarship last season.  So his isn't 'saved'.  If he comes back, it would likely be as a walk on again.  Anyway he comes back, he will be a welcome addition to the team.  We didn't need him in 15/16, we didn't need him in 16/17, but he ended up playing 1334 minutes in those two seasons and scored 303 points.  You never have enough players.

I think you are misunderstanding... with two current open scholarships, it sounds like Ford wants both available for 2018-19, which would mean if the Seton Hall kid takes one for 2017-18, there would still be an opportunity for another one-year player (Hines or a grad transfer) to take the other one. IF that spot is not used for the upcoming season, that is what I meant by "saved."

52 minutes ago, ACE said:

I think you are misunderstanding... with two current open scholarships, it sounds like Ford wants both available for 2018-19, which would mean if the Seton Hall kid takes one for 2017-18, there would still be an opportunity for another one-year player (Hines or a grad transfer) to take the other one. IF that spot is not used for the upcoming season, that is what I meant by "saved."

I don't think he would use the scholarship on Hines, cause if Hines was on scholarship last season and not a walk on, we would not of been able to land Ty Graves as a mid year transfer. So with the open scholarship, it leaves us in that market for mid-years.

11 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

I don't think he would use the scholarship on Hines, cause if Hines was on scholarship last season and not a walk on, we would not of been able to land Ty Graves as a mid year transfer. So with the open scholarship, it leaves us in that market for mid-years.

But based on this article, it sounds like Ford is more interested in having that scholarship ready for a 3rd 2018 recruit, rather than a potential mid-year transfer.