Mizzou, We are PROUD of You, #334 on NCAA Academics List

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/mizzou-basketball-apr-tumbles-but-short-of-penalty/article_0d8893ab-b6a2-5dda-9dc5-01a0115a7666.html

Great job Tigers, beating out 17 other D1 NCAA teams for a #334 out of 351 listing on APR.  I guess $$ won't buy you a few points.  Last the SEC, last among all P6 schools, what more could we ask.  You make the state proud.  

Connect the dots.....Missouri's pathetic academic performance  +  Tilmon's academic issues?  My guess, he ain't going there.  And you guys with good grades, no fear, the Tigers can't afford to throw you off the bus.

While I don't give a krap about the NCAA APR, it is noted that our fine state university doesn't either.

Mizzou has 3 transfers already this year. If those 3 have good grades and end up going to d1 schools they will be fine when next years APR comes out.

If, however, those transfers have bad grades or don't end up at other d1 schools they could definitely drop below a level (4 year average of 930) that would exclude them from participating in the 2019 NCAA tournament. This won't be known until this time next year when the next APR report comes out.

that being said, I suspect the administrators know exactly where they stand with the grades of the 3 players leaving and will do everything possible (including putting pressure on professors to give good grades, if necessary) to make sure they don't drop below 930. The fact they aren't in panic mode in Columbia tells me they'll be fine.

Does anyone wonder why Mizzou fans look at us dismissively, as the little brother of the STL area? The Mizzou obsession here is pathetic. If we're going head-to-head for recruits or if there are other basketball-related topics that have to do with SLU, I get it. But this kind of stuff, just finding any reason to bring up Mizzou and take shots? It's sad. We can't act like this on one hand and then get outraged when they give us the "nothing to gain" attitude when we want them to play us every season.

11 hours ago, kshoe said:

I hate Mizzou, but the APR has little to do with academics and much more to do with how many transfers you have.

I also have little use for the APR, but it uses both retention and academic eligibility.  Adjustments are made for student athletes who transfer while meeting minimum academic requirements.  Mizzou needs to dumb down that PE curriculum. 

On a related note, I wonder how Gillmann's leaving the team for personal reasons impacts SLU's APR.  Is that a retention demerit?  My guess is no as he likely is meeting academic benchmarks.

15 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If Gillman doesn't leave the school does it change how or when it will impact SLU's APR in any way?

That is basically my question. He will be off athletic scholarship, but there has to be a caveat prohibiting schools from pulling scholarships from non-eligible athletes in order to enhance the APR.  Gillmann of course isn't in the non-performing category, but the situation remains valid.  Reading the example below, he still may contribute positively until he graduates.  So this remains an interesting situation.  Reason says no issue for SLU, but the NCAA isn't exactly known for their rational thinking.

Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one retention point for staying in school and one eligibility point for being academically eligible. A team’s total points are divided by the points possible and then multiplied by one thousand to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate score.

Example: A Division I Football Bowl Subdivision team awards the full complement of 85 grants-in-aid. If 80 student-athletes remain in school and academically eligible, three remain in school but are academically ineligible and two drop out academically ineligible, the team earns 163 of 170 possible points for that term. Divide 163 by 170 and multiply by 1,000 to determine that the team’s Academic Progress Rate for that term is 959.[8]

The NCAA calculates the rate as a rolling, four-year figure that takes into account all the points student-athletes could earn for remaining in school and                        academically eligible during that period.

48 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Does anyone wonder why Mizzou fans look at us dismissively, as the little brother of the STL area? The Mizzou obsession here is pathetic. If we're going head-to-head for recruits or if there are other basketball-related topics that have to do with SLU, I get it. But this kind of stuff, just finding any reason to bring up Mizzou and take shots? It's sad. We can't act like this on one hand and then get outraged when they give us the "nothing to gain" attitude when we want them to play us every season.

-I agree with Pistol

35 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

That is basically my question. He will be off athletic scholarship, but there has to be a caveat prohibiting schools from pulling scholarships from non-eligible athletes in order to enhance the APR.  Gillmann of course isn't in the non-performing category, but the situation remains valid.  Reading the example below, he still may contribute positively until he graduates.  So this remains an interesting situation.  Reason says no issue for SLU, but the NCAA isn't exactly known for their rational thinking.

Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one retention point for staying in school and one eligibility point for being academically eligible. A team’s total points are divided by the points possible and then multiplied by one thousand to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate score.

Example: A Division I Football Bowl Subdivision team awards the full complement of 85 grants-in-aid. If 80 student-athletes remain in school and academically eligible, three remain in school but are academically ineligible and two drop out academically ineligible, the team earns 163 of 170 possible points for that term. Divide 163 by 170 and multiply by 1,000 to determine that the team’s Academic Progress Rate for that term is 959.[8]

The NCAA calculates the rate as a rolling, four-year figure that takes into account all the points student-athletes could earn for remaining in school and                        academically eligible during that period.

Gillman won't be a problem. Book it.

Basically, if someone leaves and has good grades (2.7 or above I believe), you aren't penalized at all. If he leaves with mediocre grades (below 2.7 but not flunking out, you lose one point) and if they leave while flunking out you lose 2 points. There are other factors but that is the basics. Each point is worth ~20 points on the APR number.

Last year we had 4 players leave the program and still had a single year APR of 980. That means 1 of the 4 had mediocre grades while the other 3 all had good grades.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Couldn't agree more. I hate Mizzou because they won't play us, its as simple as that. Let's not give their fans a reason to be right about us. They look at us like whiny little brother, and threads like these prove them right. 

We can dislike them for battling for recruits, dislike them for refusing to play us, dislike them for the fans having a warped view of their basketball legacy, but there is no need to find a reason to bash Mizzou day in day out. 

34 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

Couldn't agree more. I hate Mizzou because they won't play us, its as simple as that. Let's not give their fans a reason to be right about us. They look at us like whiny little brother, and threads like these prove them right. 

We can dislike them for battling for recruits, dislike them for refusing to play us, dislike them for the fans having a warped view of their basketball legacy, but there is no need to find a reason to bash Mizzou day in day out. 

I have a trick for avoiding threads I don't care about and don't want to read. I resist the urge to point and click on the topic.  You, Cowboy and Pistol might want to try it sometime. It really works.  I found the OT Midtown Development thread extremely boring, so I stopped clicking on it.  Problem was solved.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I have a trick for avoiding threads I don't care about and don't want to read. I resist the urge to point and click on the topic.  You, Cowboy and Pistol might want to try it sometime. It really works.  I found the OT Midtown Development thread extremely boring, so I stopped clicking on it.  Problem was solved.

Valuable advice. 

I've already got every user starting with "Hoosier" on my ignore list, but that doesn't stop threads from showing up on the main page for me.

I'm serious, though. We want the program to be big-time, but the Mizzou obsession is so small-time.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I've already got every user starting with "Hoosier" on my ignore list, but that doesn't stop threads from showing up on the main page for me.

I'm serious, though. We want the program to be big-time, but the Mizzou obsession is so small-time.

I get what your saying, but in fairness, there had been very little Mizzou talk on here for a long time until they hired Martin and some of their trolls suddenly felt brave enough to come back over and stir it up. And the APR story did just get reported locally yesterday, so it is timely.

54 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It's also a rivalry thing.  If the situation were reversed Tigerboard would be yucking it up at our expense.  They don't see us as "rivals" due to extreme arrogance.  We are currently rivals for resources and they know it and do not like it a bit.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

It's an honor being on your IGNORE list.  I have three on mine, TrollPants, GloriDays, and uncle jack.  Until an adult can figure out how to use capital letters, I have better things to do then read his hateful posts.  You have good posts, so I enjoy reading yours.

When I see a thread started by one of these three, boom, I don't click on it.   I see you once again opened up this thread, fully knowing what the topic is.  Self control Pistol.

Until the Wiz says we are big-time, we are what we are.

I think the original post was kind of childish, but I'm not sure that a thread discussing the APR issues of the largest in-state school and one of our primary competitors for local recruits is out of line. If Mizzou were to drop below 930 and get disqualified from the 2019 NCAA tournament it would be an incredibly big deal and something that would benefit SLU recruiting. I think there is little chance of that happening, but its not impossible.