Valp to MVC

One of our favorite teams is going to our favorite conference.

Effective 1 July per Stu D.

Seems like a good move, for them.

47 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Dude, don't say the V word.  It's the Billikens.com equivalent of Beetlejuice.

I didn't even type out the entire nick name.  So get off my back go hang with Leon.

58 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'm surprised they're sticking with 1. Expanding by 3 would've been a stronger move.

Agreed. Supposedly they are looking to add more in the near future, but, like the Big East, I will believe it when I see it.

Valpo is a weak program and a weak add. This will be looked back at similar to how (You People in) Evansville was added. Seemingly a great addition at the time, but lack of a true commitment rendered them an also-ran in the MVC. 

1 hour ago, WestCoastBilliken said:

Im confused... since when does the like of Evansville, Illinois State, SIU, Missouri State, Valpo have 'strong academics'? 

I don't think that is what the tweet is saying - just that is going to be something they look for as they look to expand, hoping to improve the conference's academic standing

1 hour ago, WestCoastBilliken said:

Im confused... since when does the like of Evansville, Illinois State, SIU, Missouri State, Valpo have 'strong academics'? 

You People in Evansville and unnamed school starting with V are actually pretty strong academically.

19 minutes ago, WestCoastBilliken said:

Mmmm... I wasn't aware that a school with an 82% acceptance rating and unranked nationally is strong academically, but to each their own. 

I wasn't aware that an acceptance rating was the end/all be all of school standing. 

Evansville and Valparaiso Valparaiso Valparaiso are classified by most as a regional university, thus not appearing in the national rankings. 

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/regional-universities-midwest

2 hours ago, JMM28 said:

I wasn't aware that an acceptance rating was the end/all be all of school standing. 

Evansville and Valparaiso Valparaiso Valparaiso are classified by most as a regional university, thus not appearing in the national rankings. 

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/regional-universities-midwest

Sure... got to get every University/College some form of 'ranking' for marketing purposes. Im not sure what you consider a good school... I personally do not believe that just having a pulse entitles you to being a good school and I think most would agree.   

WeestCoastBilliken, you raise an interesting question, what makes a school "good." The answer to that is not easy to come by, for there are a very large number of criteria used to judge this matter. You may wish to spend the time to read the criteria used to create college and University rankings. Every ranking body uses similar criteria but weighs them differently. The result, of course, is confusion.

Among the criteria used are the number of applicants vs the number offered admission to the school, the scores the applicants and admitted students obtained in the admission tests, the number of the academic faculty, the number of degrees offered, the success of students after graduation from the school, the % of students actually graduating, the % of students going into more advanced degrees, the endowment level of the college or university, the amount spent on research, the number of grants received by the institution, the number of Nobel prizes in the faculty, and so on and so forth. To make a long story short, some schools are better than others in absolute terms, other schools are very similar in many respect to other schools and attempts to rank these very similar schools are a matter of splitting hairs. Finally, the killer fact that upends this ranking exercise is that mediocre or worse level schools have their share of brilliant students who will do wonderful things in their lives, and conversely the best schools have their crops of dummies who think very highly of themselves, achieve little in their lives, and bellyache a lot about having been betrayed by their Alma Matter. 

You be the judge and please tell me if it is valid to try to rank schools, or hospitals, or whatever in numerical order.

What does it mean the NCAA is going to start paying out revenue based on academics?!?

Please tell me they aren't basing the payouts on the sham APR reports. Talk about more incentives for schools to do shady things just for APR purposes if that was the case.

2 hours ago, WestCoastBilliken said:

Sure... got to get every University/College some form of 'ranking' for marketing purposes. Im not sure what you consider a good school... I personally do not believe that just having a pulse entitles you to being a good school and I think most would agree.   

There are a lot of places classified as "regional" universities that are good schools under just about any objective criteria. It's pretty hard to argue that a "regional" school is inherently inferior to a school like SLU ranked near the bottom of the top 100 "national" universities. And I say that as a double SLU grad...

16 hours ago, WestCoastBilliken said:

Mmmm... I wasn't aware that a school with an 82% acceptance rating and unranked nationally is strong academically, but to each their own. 

I think most of us would consider Xavier to be a good school.  V is tied with Xavier in the U.S. News rankings, ahead of Bradley and John Carroll, two other good schools.  You People in Evansville are a couple slots lower, tied with Truman.

Every single college and University out there has something of real value to offer their students. Some schools have more to offer than others and keep more restrictive admission requirements. Some schools provide the opportunity to a broader range of kids, including those rejected by other schools. All schools try to make a positive difference in the lives of their students. Ergo, they are all good in their own ways and that applies from top to bottom.