Toy Gun Made in Class Causes Confusion on SLU's Campus

I'm wondering what the future employment of the professor at SLU will be.  Common sense would lead one to not allow students to make a fake gun.  That was a very poor decision to select that as the item to engineer.

I'm not a Pestello fan, but I have no argument with how the University dealt with this.  This illustrates just how hard of a time administrators have dealing with this crap instead of concentrating on educating students.  I cannot fault the wording of a notification to the students when the intent was to get the word out quickly.  95% of the students will walk away with nothing but a story to tell.  5% will have "emotional scars" from this traumatic incident in their lives.

3 hours ago, TRN said:

I'm wondering what the future employment of the professor at SLU will be.  Common sense would lead one to not allow students to make a fake gun.  That was a very poor decision to select that as the item to engineer.

I was a lowly comm major but it seems like this is an annual tradition.

On 5/5/2017 at 7:36 AM, Bobby Metzinger said:

I agree with you to a certain extent, but at Caterpillar in Peoria, before every meeting, people are "assigned" roles like "Who calls 911," "Who gets the defibrillator," etc. What's interesting, is that last year, a gentleman went into cardiac arrest during a meeting and having this preparedness saved his life. People were in place, people knew what to do and how to react. So while there are several reasons to scoff at the notion of having emergency plans in place, and certainly, we all know how blown out of proportions/unnecessary Pestello's video shoot is, underestimating emergency planning could turn a small, manageable crisis into a large-scale tragedy. It's good to know the university is taking precautions.

At no point did I scoff at having an emergency plan.  In fact I pointed out that I have a  MS in Biosecurity and Disaster Preparedness from SLU. I helped plan responses for every state in FEMA region VII.  I'm second in command of the regional Chem Bio Radiological Response Team.  Enough emergency planning cred?  Cause I got more.

What I'm stating is that SLU has the resources to do this and rather efficiently. They should do it, they should exercise it, refine and do it again.  The process doesn't end.  I'm criticizing this long video and some of the content.

Here's where I scoff, there were no shots fired.  A few people might've seen a guy with a toy gun.  I guess that can be scary.  Everything is over the top sensitive.  Pointing out those that might've experienced previous traumatic events, why? Just odd to me.