Toy Gun Made in Class Causes Confusion on SLU's Campus

https://www.slu.edu/news/2017/may/campus-update.php

Shortly after 5 p.m. Wednesday, May 3, Saint Louis University’s Department of Public Safety received a report of a male student in Spring Hall with what appeared to be a handgun.

DPS immediately sent out a RAVE alert notifying students, faculty and staff. Officers did a search of the area and were unable to find the student.

All students in Spring Hall were moved to Simon Recreation Center and secured. The campus community was advised to shelter in place.

Shortly after, another call came into DPS reporting shots fired outside of Marchetti Towers.

Both reports were investigated, and authorities found no evidence of shots fired and no injuries.

A person of interest was questioned, and it was determined that they had no involvement in the incident, and they were released. Additional witness interviews led to the identification of a second student of interest who was located and questioned by authorities.

DPS and the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department determined that the second student had been carrying a toy gun. No shots were fired; there was not a real handgun on campus.

An all clear has been issued to students, faculty and staff.

• davidnark changed the title to Toy Gun Made in Class Causes Confusion on SLU's Campus

Hmmm, I got a MS in BIosecurity and Disaster Preparedness from SLU.  An entire class is on disaster communication, this one is too long.  If people want to know more besides the basic facts refer them to a website.

Also committee?  How about have those professors get the grad students to update SLU's plan.  There's already an entire class where the project is to review and update a Hospital Emergency Plan (as many of the students are nurses).

So sensitive in the end especially to those that have experienced prior traumatic experiences.  If you're going to live at SLU there might be a shooting in the area mentally prepare yourself for it.  So traumatic to be near a place where there was a report of shots fired.  Must've felt like hell on Earth in Marchetti.  I myself can't imagine it.

7 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Hmmm, I got a MS in BIosecurity and Disaster Preparedness from SLU.  An entire class is on disaster communication, this one is too long.  If people want to know more besides the basic facts refer them to a website.

Also committee?  How about have those professors get the grad students to update SLU's plan.  There's already an entire class where the project is to review and update a Hospital Emergency Plan (as many of the students are nurses).

So sensitive in the end especially to those that have experienced prior traumatic experiences.  If you're going to live at SLU there might be a shooting in the area mentally prepare yourself for it.  So traumatic to be near a place where there was a report of shots fired.  Must've felt like hell on Earth in Marchetti.  I myself can't imagine it.

I agree with you to a certain extent, but at Caterpillar in Peoria, before every meeting, people are "assigned" roles like "Who calls 911," "Who gets the defibrillator," etc. What's interesting, is that last year, a gentleman went into cardiac arrest during a meeting and having this preparedness saved his life. People were in place, people knew what to do and how to react. So while there are several reasons to scoff at the notion of having emergency plans in place, and certainly, we all know how blown out of proportions/unnecessary Pestello's video shoot is, underestimating emergency planning could turn a small, manageable crisis into a large-scale tragedy. It's good to know the university is taking precautions.

8 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I don't know, man. I have a hard time making fun of people overreacting to what they legitimately thought was an active shooter. If the gun looked real enough, even just from a glance, given how many campus shootings there have been in recent years, it seems completely reasonable to assume the worst - and for the administration to use the experience to make sure procedures are in place. It's unfortunate, but it's the world we live in. I don't think it's oversensitivity at all.

55 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I don't know, man. I have a hard time making fun of people overreacting to what they legitimately thought was an active shooter. If the gun looked real enough, even just from a glance, given how many campus shootings there have been in recent years, it seems completely reasonable to assume the worst - and for the administration to use the experience to make sure procedures are in place. It's unfortunate, but it's the world we live in. I don't think it's oversensitivity at all.

I understand your point but the real issue here is how poorly the situation was handled.  He is right, they need a comprehensive approach so people are not going off half cocked with what is being released.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Agreed.  In today's environment, I'd rather they overreact than the alternative.  

17 minutes ago, brianstl said:

But it seems that the overreaction is the only thing that has caused any trauma to anyone.

Maybe so, but it seems that perhaps our generation has been desensitized by the 24-7 news cycle and that having grown up seeing wholesale violence delivered to us via prime-time television that maybe we are under-reacting to how a different generation copes.

17 minutes ago, brianstl said:

But it seems that the overreaction is the only thing that has caused any trauma to anyone.

Just now, brianstl said:

The shots fired tweet from SLU was really egregious.  In the time that it took to tweet that the DPS could have contacted the SLMPD to verify if ShotSpotter confirmed gunfire in the area.

Yeah, the shots fired thing is the oddest thing here.  Still, the trauma inflicted here is nothing compared to that of a real event that isn't sufficiently responded to.   

3 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Maybe so, but it seems that perhaps our generation has been desensitized by the 24-7 news cycle and that having grown up seeing wholesale violence delivered to us via prime-time television that maybe we are under-reacting to how a different generation copes.

Coping with what?  Nothing bad happened.

Just now, SShoe said:

You just said there was trauma inflicted.

My post was more of a joke the an actual recognition of trauma.  There was drama at SLU and not trauma,  The only thing that happened was a school overreacting which should cause trauma to no one.  No one was hurt, no one's rights were violated and at most people were inconvenienced for a short period of time.  At the same time this was playing out people across this region were suffering real trauma from widespread flooding.

Just now, brianstl said:

My post was more of a joke the an actual recognition of trauma.  There was drama at SLU and not trauma,  The only thing that happened was a school overreacting which should cause trauma to no one.  No one was hurt, no one's rights were violated and at most people were inconvenienced for a short period of time.  At the same time this was playing out people across this region were suffering real trauma from widespread flooding.

Thanks for clarifying. Agreed.