A10 "Beefs" Up Schedules

I read with interest the article on the main board from A10 talk.  Anybody would have to be pleased to see Butler on their schedule as we are.  But do the other two matchups pale in comparison for the rets of you? 

I mean Vermont and St. peter's as similar to Butler when discussing Richmond and La Salle?  I don't see it.  We played Vermont in lie 14-15 an dit was no big deal.  Why now?  And St. peters?  C'mon man!

1 hour ago, kwyjibo said:

Vermont will have a very good record and will be a good team (as long as Trae Bell-Haynes is back).  It was a very smart scheduling move back then and is even more so next year.

I don't know who they've lost (if anyone), but they won 21 straight heading into the NCAA tournament, and gave Purdue a pretty good run before falling 80-70, as a 13-seed 

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I read with interest the article on the main board from A10 talk.  Anybody would have to be pleased to see Butler on their schedule as we are.  But do the other two matchups pale in comparison for the rets of you? 

I mean Vermont and St. peter's as similar to Butler when discussing Richmond and La Salle?  I don't see it.  We played Vermont in lie 14-15 an dit was no big deal.  Why now?  And St. peters?  C'mon man!

Is Ron Dabney still playing for St. Peters? 

11 hours ago, Taj79 said:

These teams aren't Butler, but neither are they cream puffs. St. Peters finished with a 23-13 record and an overall rating of B-.  Had they played in the A-10 they would have finished 5th.... And Vermont finished at 28-6 with a grade of B+...good enough to receive an at large bid had they not received the auto bid.to the tourney. Had Vermont been in the A-10 they would have finished 4th. They had the longest winning streak in Div 1 this season (21 games) before Purdue beat them in the tourney. And the Boilermakers struggled against them 

We just came off of a D rated season. These 2 teams are probable thinking ...adding the Billikens doesn't help our schedule.

I will say this ....if we can get to the level of a Vermont next year...I will be pleased.

That piece was weak but the dude is probably unpaid so I can't be mad at em'.

SLU's tourney in NY is decent Providence, VT and UW.  Wish I could go to that one.

Gotta be some other good Non-Con games in the A10 right besides Vermont and St. Peter's?

3 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

SLU's tourney in NY is decent Providence, VT and UW.  Wish I could go to that one.

Gotta be some other good Non-Con games in the A10 right besides Vermont and St. Peter's?

We will also play two of the following:  Belmont, Detroit Mercy, Houston Baptist, and Seattle in the 'home games' of the 2K Classic.  Our early OOC schedule is fairly complete, with the NYC games Nov 16-17.  Putting the two prelim games ahead of these dates, that likely leaves at the most one other game before the prelim tourney games.  Butler is Dec 2, so room for 2 or 3 games after the tourney before the Bulldogs.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

We will also play two of the following:  Belmont, Detroit Mercy, Houston Baptist, and Seattle in the 'home games' of the 2K Classic.  Our early OOC schedule is fairly complete, with the NYC games Nov 16-17.  Putting the two prelim games ahead of these dates, that likely leaves at the most one other game before the prelim tourney games.  Butler is Dec 2, so room for 2 or 3 games after the tourney before the Bulldogs.

Welcome back Rockhurst!

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Belmont ....B

Hou Bap.....D

Det.............D-

Seattle.......D-

So it looks like we should have an easy game  and a tough one (Belmont)

14 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Belmont ....B

Hou Bap.....D

Det.............D-

Seattle.......D-

So it looks like we should have an easy game  and a tough one (Belmont)

Logic (geography) says we should play Belmont and Detroit, so that means we will likely get Houston B and Seattle.

Pure guesswork by me, we get Belmont and Seattle, UW gets the same, and Providence and VT get Detroit and HoustonB. But Providence and VT likely are politicing for Belmont too, and A10 is trumped by BE and ACC.

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Logic (geography) says we should play Belmont and Detroit, so that means we will likely get Houston B and Seattle.

Pure guesswork by me, we get Belmont and Seattle, UW gets the same, and Providence and VT get Detroit and HoustonB. But Providence and VT likely are politicing for Belmont too, and A10 is trumped by BE and ACC.

Providence and VT have more to lose than gain playing a team like Belmont.  My guess is they are not lobbying for Belmont.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Providence and VT have more to lose than gain playing a team like Belmont.  My guess is they are not lobbying for Belmont.

My guess is that Seattle and Houston Baptist may be RPI killers and hence the Friars and Hokies want to avoid.  Come tourney time, those issues raise in importance.  We shall see. Who knows, maybe the Tourney organizers place names in a hat and draw them out.  We will find out in due time.

EDIT:  I looked up this past season's RPI's,  True they are only a data point that may or may not be reflective of next season's team (such as our RPI for last season).  Anyway Belmont was 88, HB 185, Seattle 272 and Detroit 289.  Let's get a Baptist convention going her in the Lou.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

My guess is that Seattle and Houston Baptist may be RPI killers and hence the Friars and Hokies want to avoid.  Come tourney time, those issues raise in importance.  We shall see. Who knows, maybe the Tourney organizers place names in a hat and draw them out.  We will find out in due time.

EDIT:  I looked up this past season's RPI's,  True they are only a data point that may or may not be reflective of next season's team (such as our RPI for last season).  Anyway Belmont was 88, HB 185, Seattle 272 and Detroit 289.  Let's get a Baptist convention going her in the Lou.

I understand your point on the RPI, but an opponent having a bad RPI doesn't matter as much when you play 18 games in the Big East or the ACC.

Just now, brianstl said:

I understand your point on the RPI, but an opponent having a bad RPI doesn't matter as much when you play 18 games in the Big East or the ACC.

Certainly the BE has higher RPI teams than the A10, but wasn't Providence one of the last four in this past March?  Substitute a 88 RPI W with a 289 RPI win and maybe they are first out.  Never know.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Certainly the BE has higher RPI teams than the A10, but wasn't Providence one of the last four in this past March?  Substitute a 88 RPI W with a 289 RPI win and maybe they are first out.  Never know.

Big East = A

A-10 = B

Prov  =  B+ ..... a 4th place finish in the A-10