OT: ESPN Layoffs

Bizziken

2 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

also a shocker 

I think that was the final straw for me...I only go to the ESPN website for scores, but I won't anymore. Andy Katz was the best college basketball guy that they had. I can't believe they let Jay Williams and Seth Greenberg kept their jobs. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

I think that was the final straw for me...I only go to the ESPN website for scores, but I won't anymore. Andy Katz was the best college basketball guy that they had. I can't believe they let Jay Williams and Seth Greenberg kept their jobs. 

Or the guy that does the talk show with Jalen Rose. Seriously, which Detroit-area pizza parlor did they pick THAT guy up at?

Seems to me ESPN went the way of old radio when everyone had to be a shock jock like Stern, Imus and even Limbaugh.  Just say stupid, controversial stuff.  Play on the emotions rather than the news.  Kornheiser and Wilbon do that to some extent but I still like their show.  I cannot watch Stephen Acehole Smith or Skip Bayless.  I don't care what Colin Cowpie says.  Lee Corso and Dick Vitale are buffoons.  Same with Seth Greenberg.  I turn on Sportscenter to read the bottom line (and they always break to commercial when it gets to the part I want).  Who the hell is Cousin Sal? Fantasy is overrated.  Brad Daugherty doing NASCAR kills me.  They push Kiper and McShay because they own the rights to broadcasting the draft.  Unlike some, I don't care much for the women telling me much about sports.  Jemele Hill and Michale Smith are actors ---- and poor ones at that.  The recent ads with the oh-so-serious NBA players is a joke --- it's a fuoking game.  The E in ESPN has taken the lead over the S.  Yet I understand the hip-hop need for ESPN and the NBA   While sports today is not what I grew up with, I recognize it is just another option for my disposal entertainment dollar.  And I choose to spend that elsewhere.  

I still think the greatest sports show was Nick Charles and Fred Hickman on whatever channel they did --- Nick and Hick.  Patrick and Olberman were good until Olberman got too big and killed his own career (in sports).  I never watch Patrick, Boomer and Kanel, Gotleib or the Herd.  Don't care.  I moved on so they can move on as well.  Change is inevitable.

When 05 starts his channel or whatever, "From da Couch in Maryland" is available for pennies on the dollar.  Thanks for thinking of me!  In reality, that title was part real (I do sit on a couch in Maryland and watch the beloved Bills) but a part of it was in hommage to that old commercial John Clayton used to do where he'd do his report, rip off the fake suit top, let the scraggly pony tail flow, and jump back into bed yelling at his mom or something.  I heard a long time ago Steve Schiff, old anchor at KSDK, used to sit there in a suit coat and tie but under the desk, it was shorts and lip flops.  Probably not true but image is everything.

Local channels are also following suit.  Here, my local news goes from 10 to 11.  Sports comes on at 10:50 and they do two stories.  TWO.  Nothing like waiting around and hearing how the McDonough School girl's lacrosse team won again. I choose sleep.  Besides, all my real Billiken news is right here with GloryDays and Old guy.

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

I'm with you on this one. It's more of the shift from information to sports entertainment content.

And I'm 100% behind the expansion of their roster of on-air female talent. Doris Burke and Jessica Mendoza are excellent. It's nice to have people other than smarmy middle-aged guys behind the desk (which isn't to say those dudes need to go away, by any means). More voices, including female voices, are good for everybody. They also still need more women in the offices. Despite their efforts in the past few years, there's a hangover from the old boys club that ruled for 30+ years.

But that sort of spin-off entertainment content? Who is that even for?

Explain to Dana O'Neil why she's sending out resumes today while someone else is getting paid to post poems.

You mean like a sports only Grantland? :lol::lol:

3 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Can @jimbofive be our PFTCommenter and @Box and Won our potentially less douchey Darren Rovell? Also will they all work for equity?

And how does a douchebag like Rovell survive and Katz doesn't? I mean come on. They've got Shellburne that does the real sports biz work there. 

A less douchey Darren Rovell ceases to be Darren Rovell. It becomes something different altogether, for without the douchebag, there is no Rovell.

30 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

You mean like a sports only Grantland? :lol::lol:

Oof. Maybe that's why they dumped Simmons. "Instead of paying him, let's just become that." (Except a lot of their content is pretty lame.)

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Seems to me ESPN went the way of old radio when everyone had to be a shock jock like Stern, Imus and even Limbaugh.  Just say stupid, controversial stuff.  Play on the emotions rather than the news.  Kornheiser and Wilbon do that to some extent but I still like their show.  I cannot watch Stephen Acehole Smith or Skip Bayless.  I don't care what Colin Cowpie says.  Lee Corso and Dick Vitale are buffoons.  Same with Seth Greenberg.  I turn on Sportscenter to read the bottom line (and they always break to commercial when it gets to the part I want).  Who the hell is Cousin Sal? Fantasy is overrated.  Brad Daugherty doing NASCAR kills me.  They push Kiper and McShay because they own the rights to broadcasting the draft.  Unlike some, I don't care much for the women telling me much about sports.  Jemele Hill and Michale Smith are actors ---- and poor ones at that.  The recent ads with the oh-so-serious NBA players is a joke --- it's a fuoking game.  The E in ESPN has taken the lead over the S.  Yet I understand the hip-hop need for ESPN and the NBA   While sports today is not what I grew up with, I recognize it is just another option for my disposal entertainment dollar.  And I choose to spend that elsewhere.  

I still think the greatest sports show was Nick Charles and Fred Hickman on whatever channel they did --- Nick and Hick.  Patrick and Olberman were good until Olberman got too big and killed his own career (in sports).  I never watch Patrick, Boomer and Kanel, Gotleib or the Herd.  Don't care.  I moved on so they can move on as well.  Change is inevitable.

When 05 starts his channel or whatever, "From da Couch in Maryland" is available for pennies on the dollar.  Thanks for thinking of me!  In reality, that title was part real (I do sit on a couch in Maryland and watch the beloved Bills) but a part of it was in hommage to that old commercial John Clayton used to do where he'd do his report, rip off the fake suit top, let the scraggly pony tail flow, and jump back into bed yelling at his mom or something.  I heard a long time ago Steve Schiff, old anchor at KSDK, used to sit there in a suit coat and tie but under the desk, it was shorts and lip flops.  Probably not true but image is everything.

Local channels are also following suit.  Here, my local news goes from 10 to 11.  Sports comes on at 10:50 and they do two stories.  TWO.  Nothing like waiting around and hearing how the McDonough School girl's lacrosse team won again. I choose sleep.  Besides, all my real Billiken news is right here with GloryDays and Old guy.

Nick and Fred were on CNN - they were better than SportsCenter as well.

Would anyone else here like some Joe- schmo fan to be on air before games along with an expert to talk sports. I think it could be interesting to have some drunk fan in the booth talking smack before the game. The trick would be if they wanted to get paid, they would have to show up post game, win or lose 

1 minute ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Would anyone else here like some Joe- schmo fan to be on air before games along with an expert to talk sports. I think it could be interesting to have some drunk fan in the booth talking smack before the game. The trick would be if they wanted to get paid, they would have to show up post game, win or lose 

While I might be desecrating the very fiber of my being by saying this, but the Rush Limbaugh/Dennis Miller Experience was kind of that, with prescription pills and a walking lexicon of big words proving to be the liquor du jour.

On 4/26/2017 at 2:11 PM, Littlebill said:

It's all about $$$$. NHL doesn't make money for ESPN. NBA does. It's simple

Actually the current NBA rights deal has been a disaster for ESPN.  Yesterday's layoff are a direct result of it and deals like it.

7 minutes ago, ARon said:

Actually the current NBA rights deal has been a disaster for ESPN.  Yesterday's layoff are a direct result of it and deals like it.

It's the Subprime Mortgage Crisis of cable television.

19 hours ago, ARon said:

Yep, the NFL deal being the other one.

2 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

I may be biased since I think the NBA is a terrible product, but I feel they shove The Association down our throats. Mike and Mike is a show with a nerd and a former football player debating who is better LeBron or Jordan every freaking day. Got old quick with zero diverse topics.

Out of the four major North American sports, however, the NBA has the most global brand recognition -- I'm sure ESPN is simply trying to capitalize on the popularity of the game and its superstars. The NBA is succeeding where the NFL (see: NFL Europe)  failed, which is the ability to cultivate "homegrown" talent through development camps and "Global Games" in Europe, Asia, Latin America, etc. Even with NFL Europe/World League, you weren't seeing American football sprouting talent across the pond. It also helps that basketball is an Olympic sport; not much the NFL can do there. Can you imagine Team USA, though?! :) The

They may claim whatever they want to claim. That is like the so called Baseball World Series, which basically includes no baseball teams other than US. Are the Canadians, Latin Americans or Japanese all of which do play baseball ever involved in the world series? The name they give themselves is there for marketing purposes.

44 minutes ago, Old guy said:

They may claim whatever they want to claim. That is like the so called Baseball World Series, which basically includes no baseball teams other than US. Are the Canadians, Latin Americans or Japanese all of which do play baseball ever involved int he world series? The name they give themselves if there for marketing purposes.

Yes, I'm aware that claims can be meaningless or inaccurate; that is why I chose that particular word.  I agree with you about the misnomer "World Series"; I've long thought that it demonstrates American hubris.  However, when Toronto plays in the MLB championship series, that's a Canadian team involved.  The World Cup of baseball or the Olympics would be more accurately a World Series, but we all know Major League Baseball is never going to relinquish the "World Series" trademark.