OT: ESPN Layoffs

Bizziken

59 minutes ago, Old guy said:

They may claim whatever they want to claim. That is like the so called Baseball World Series, which basically includes no baseball teams other than US. Are the Canadians, Latin Americans or Japanese all of which do play baseball ever involved int he world series? The name they give themselves if there for marketing purposes.

As you well know teams are full of players from many, many countries. The Pirates just promoted the first African player. The number of Asian players is at an all time high. MLB truly is a Worldly Game. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am well aware that there are all kinds of nationalities involved in the US baseball teams. The same can be said about foreign basketball teams employing Americans. Does that make them "global", I guess it depends on how you define the term.

15 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Yes, I'm aware that claims can be meaningless or inaccurate; that is why I chose that particular word.  I agree with you about the misnomer "World Series"; I've long thought that it demonstrates American hubris.  However, when Toronto plays in the MLB championship series, that's a Canadian team involved.  The World Cup of baseball or the Olympics would be more accurately a World Series, but we all know Major League Baseball is never going to relinquish the "World Series" trademark.

The best baseball players in the world play in the MLB. If there is a guy in Uruguay who throws 100 mph then the scouts will find him.

17 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Uruguay, as Brazil and Argentina are, is primarily a soccer country, not much baseball there. For baseball you have to go into the Caribbean basin, Dominican, PR, Cuba, etc... 

Ok great. You completely missed the intention. No matter the country, the best players will be found, scouted, and offered to be a part of the MLB. "World Series" is justified. Best players in the premiere league of the world, period.

I'm not going to verify this, but it looks like there are 25 countries currently represented on MLB rosters.  The recently promoted South African-Pittsburg Pirate is on the list, so I am guessing this is fairly accurate.  Yes, even Brazil is on the list.  I'm not going to count, but it looks like Venezuela has the most behind the US.