OT: ESPN Layoffs

Bizziken

Granted, I don't watch ESPN much anymore, but I was still surprised by some of these. Of note, they clipped Eamonn Brennan and Dana O'Neil...in large part, I thought they were both pretty good college basketball reporters/analysts. 

More surprising is Jayson Stark on the MLB side and Lebrun on the NHL side. I thought they were extremely high quality reporters. 

The era of the four-letter is coming to an end.

http://deadspin.com/a-running-list-of-espn-layoffs-1794664091

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Bizziken said:

Granted, I don't watch ESPN much anymore, but I was still surprised by some of these. Of note, they clipped Eamonn Brennan and Dana O'Neil...in large part, I thought they were both pretty good college basketball reporters/analysts. 

More surprising is Jayson Stark on the MLB side and Lebrun on the NHL side. I thought they were extremely high quality reporters. 

The era of the four-letter is coming to an end.

http://deadspin.com/a-running-list-of-espn-layoffs-1794664091

It's a shame to think that as long as LeBron James is able to dribble a basketball, that Brian Windhorst will be collecting a paycheck, memo: coattails.

ESPN is a "middle man" kind of business.  Once their contracts with the leagues expire (of which there is no way ESPN is currently winning with), ESPN will try to negotiate at a much lower rate to stay profitable.  The leagues will not accept this and I see them ultimately just performing the distribution legwork themselves.   

The broadcasting rights investment was only a positive ROI if cable subscribers continued to pay for ESPN as part of their package forever.  The Advertising dollars do not come close to helping them break even.  ESPN has so far refused to evolve and cost cutting is the only way forward. 

I frankly wont miss ANY ESPN personality that gets fired.  There is always someone ready to get on TV to talk sports.  Does Ed Werder really provide way better content than Taj would?  Not really.  (well maybe not Taj, but something like Taj)

The pity party going on in media (and on twitter) right now about the ESPN layoffs is also pretty annoying.  #getoffmylawn

4 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

ESPN is a "middle man" kind of business.  Once their contracts with the leagues expire (of which there is no way ESPN is currently winning with), ESPN will try to negotiate at a much lower rate to stay profitable.  The leagues will not accept this and I see them ultimately just performing the distribution legwork themselves.   

The broadcasting rights investment was only a positive ROI if cable subscribers continued to pay for ESPN as part of their package forever.  The Advertising dollars do not come close to helping them break even.  ESPN has so far refused to evolve and cost cutting is the only way forward. 

I frankly wont miss ANY ESPN personality that gets fired.  There is always someone ready to get on TV to talk sports.  Does Ed Werder really provide way better content than Taj would?  Not really.  (well maybe not Taj, but something like Taj)

The pity party going on in media (and on twitter) right now about the ESPN layoffs is also pretty annoying.  #getoffmylawn

:lol: That cracked me up. Does this mean ESPN will create a show called - From the Couch in Maryland?

The problem is that ESPN isn't cutting the "personalities" so much as they are cutting the reporters that actually bring worthwhile content to their platforms.  They are doubling down on the things that have caused people to tune them out.

Just now, brianstl said:

The problem is that ESPN isn't cutting the "personalities" so much as they are cutting the reporters that actually bring worthwhile content to their platforms.  They are doubling down on the things that have caused people to tune them out.

Exactly my thoughts.  A guy like Ed Werder or Jayson Stark comes on and I start paying attention. Now they're gone and will be replaced with more Jemele Hill and Michael Smith sitting around in a t-shirt and jeans saying generic things about the NBA.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

This. And more people are cutting the cable cord and getting their sports/entertainment served 'a la carte.

5 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Exactly my thoughts.  A guy like Ed Werder or Jayson Stark comes on and I start paying attention. Now they're gone and will be replaced with more Jemele Hill and Michael Smith sitting around in a t-shirt and jeans saying generic things about the NBA.

I agree with this point.  Every time I see the commerical with Michael and Jemele laughing while playing dominoes with Ice Cube, I wonder what a viewer is supposed to take away from that.  I still do not think that ESPN has gotten serious about the programming problem they have.  If there is not a game on, I am not watching it.  Only so much shouting I can take from Lavar Ball, Steven A, etc. 

Just now, Littlebill said:

It's all about $$$$. NHL doesn't make money for ESPN. NBA does. It's simple

Not since Rogers Communications bought out TSN's NHL Coverage. You're right about that. ESPN has a 20% share in TSN.

The "don't be mean" crowd of fellow reporters/media types is annoying. I look forward to those same writers' articles next week calling for GMs, coaches, and other sports folks to be fired or released. 

32 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Yeah...I thoroughly enjoyed Eamonn Brennan's Bubble Watch around Tournament time, so it will be interesting to see if they continue this with someone else. 

The ESPN business model of an echo chamber of hot takes is failing and will continue to fail. There are not enough bros in the country to prop that up. 

8 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

Yeah...I thoroughly enjoyed Eamonn Brennan's Bubble Watch around Tournament time, so it will be interesting to see if they continue this with someone else. 

The ESPN business model of an echo chamber of hot takes is failing and will continue to fail. There are not enough bros in the country to prop that up. 

Especially now, since Mr. Gronkowski went in for his vasectomy the other day.

And Stephen A. Smith continues to earn more than $3 million a year.

The other day, my nine-year-old daughter happened to walk through the room while Stephen A. Smith was unleashing some hot takes on the Worldwide Leader.  With a confused look on her face, she said:

"Who is this?  What does he do?  Why is he yelling?  I can't watch this."

53 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Bang! He got it!

Hopefully they keep all of the former pro athletes in their skinny suits and sneakers who have no journalistic qualities....

Nostalgia is huge market. ESPN needs to cash back in on that. The people who grew up on the highlight heavy episodes of SC are the people paying for cable now. Remember when you could sit down and watch SC and see a basketball/baseball/hockey/tennis/soccer highlight in 30 minutes before you had to leave for school/work? 

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Nostalgia is huge market. ESPN needs to cash back in on that. The people who grew up on the highlight heavy episodes of SC are the people paying for cable now. Remember when you could sit down and watch SC and see a basketball/baseball/hockey/tennis/soccer highlight in 30 minutes before you had to leave for school/work? 

ESPN Classic, no?

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

SC6 with Jamele Hill and Michael Smith is unwatchable in my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I have no sympathy for Eamonn Brennan after this hit job on SLU from a few years back:

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/84647/st-louis-runs-off-jared-drew

What Crews recruit took that scholarship and Drew must have thought your telling me I don't fit in?

18 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

And those people have twitter to where they see those "wow" type plays anyway with SB Nation and Barstool. There's no demand for anything like that