Billikens.com on New Server

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, slufan13 said:

I can access this page. I'll try clearing my cache and history later today to see if that helps with billikens.com

Are you still having problems with the main page after clearing your cache?

@thetorch you also still having problems?

Thanks!  If anyone else is experiencing problems, please let me know.

There is one very small bug - but I don't think it affects user experience at all.  Debating whether to resolve it before saying it is okay to take the old server fully offline.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Weird complaint and maybe just user error, but is anyone else getting constantly logged out even with checking the "Remember Me" box? It is happening on my iphone/safari and PC/chrome. 

Yes, I have to log in every time on both my phone and computer, regardless of checking "remember me".

I'm not 100% certain, but I think if you check "remember me" when logging in on one device, it will set a cookie that will cause all other active sessions to expire.  So when you go to another device that you had been logged in on, the board's script will no longer accept the credentials of the cookie on that device, and you must log in again.

I guess you can stay logged in on only one device at a time.

I have the box checked on both phone and laptop and now have to log in Every time on both.   I use chrome on both is that the problem?

I have had occasions when Win 10 does an automatic cumulative upgrade that brings the system down and causes a black screen display. Getting out of this is not easy. I have to log into the server again after recovery. However I use only one system to log into the site, so I do not know what happens when you try to access it from a different system.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I'm not 100% certain, but I think if you check "remember me" when logging in on one device, it will set a cookie that will cause all other active sessions to expire.  So when you go to another device that you had been logged in on, the board's script will no longer accept the credentials of the cookie on that device, and you must log in again.

I guess you can stay logged in on only one device at a time.

thicks, I tried this out but it seems to be more of a time elapsed trigger. I logged in on desktop and 5 minutes later logged in on my phone, both remember me checked. I was able to close out of both browsers, go back in, and still be logged in. After about an hour or so when I came back, both were logged out. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

I have the box checked on both phone and laptop and now have to log in Every time on both.   I use chrome on both is that the problem?

It's not Chrome.

Unless Steve can configure the software (probably a WordPress plugin) to allow users to have multiple open sessions (apparently, the Drupal version allowed it -- I'm not sure) it may be best to check the "Remember me" box on only one device.

I leave it checked on my home computer and stay logged in, but when I use another computer I uncheck it.  Sessions time out after 15-30 minutes of inactivity.  If I forget to uncheck it before I log in on another computer, when I get home and access the site, I've been logged out.

2 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

thicks, I tried this out but it seems to be more of a time elapsed trigger. I logged in on desktop and 5 minutes later logged in on my phone, both remember me checked. I was able to close out of both browsers, go back in, and still be logged in. After about an hour or so when I came back, both were logged out. 

Hmm.  I don't know for sure.  I just know that when I don't check "remember me" for any device other than my home computer, it will never log me out.  It's only if I allow another device to remember that my home computer's session will time out.  Also, see my post above -- I think the time is between 15 and 30 minutes.  There've been times I spent a long time reading a post on another device -- perhaps from an external link -- and then when I attempt to reply, I've been logged out and can't.

never happened before the last couple of weeks.   always stayed signed in on both.   not a big deal just a little annoying.  

We currently use version 4.19 of the board.  Support tells me this issue is (somewhat) fixed in 4.20.  I currently don't have the time to do a manual upgrade, but when the automatic upgrade is available to us (which shouldn't be long), I will upgrade.  Sorry for the trouble.

6 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

We currently use version 4.19 of the board.  Support tells me this issue is (somewhat) fixed in 4.20.  I currently don't have the time to do a manual upgrade, but when the automatic upgrade is available to us (which shouldn't be long), I will upgrade.  Sorry for the trouble.

cheech.gif

So this was kind of interesting. It made me log in, and when I did, it made me fill out my personal info, i.e. tell it my first and last name. Also asked me optionally for my favorite Billiken of all time, which kept me busy for about half an hour. ;)