Billikens.com on New Server

Billikens.com should now be on a new server.  Mainly the server software was on what was know as Centos 5.x, which is no longer supported as of last month.  We are now on fancy-pancy 7.x, which actually may make some back end stuff easier for me (with 5.x, I had do do a few workarounds).  During the move, I think we lost a few posts, but not too many.  Additionally, the forum may not immediately accurately remember your last post read.  Apologies for this.

Hopefully everything runs smoothly, but if you notice something not working.  Please let me know.  If things work for the next day or two, I will try to do some upgrades to the forum software.  But I don't want to do these until I have greater confidence the old software works before completely disposing of the old server.

Again let me know if you experience problems,

Steve

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

That is true. By the way my prior posts do not appear to persist in the response box when I try to use it again in the same thread. This saves having to erase the contents manually, this is nice.

+1

This is soooo nice. That was such an annoyance on my phone. Mizzou should of paid Steve to fix their board instead of overpaying Mr Porter.

Steve, found the first problem with the new server, the text does not appear to wrap and keeps on extending to the right of the box. Like it does in notepad if you do not activate the text wrap feature. There is a margin but it goes way beyond the reach of my screen. Can you check this out please?

32 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

For some reason if I go www.billikens.com from my laptop, I get this error

SORRY!
If you are the owner of this website, please contact your hosting provider: [email protected]

I can access it fine from my phone.

I am actually having a similar problem from my work computer... 

Can you access stevenmrogers.com from your laptop? 

7 hours ago, thetorch said:

My billikens.com doesn't work.  I have to go straight to the message board.  The front page does work on the mobile site.

Okay... Now that's a puzzle.  At least my problem has been I could not get anything on Billikens.com to work at work.  I can get everything to work at home.

17 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Still does not work for me. I also use Chrome on my phone and it works fine. 

Going to guess it still doesn't work now.

(I uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin that I think is causing problems).

To provide a little explanation, I think the problem is rooted in a WordPress plugin.  The main site runs off of WordPress and the forum runs off of different software.  There is a plugin WP RSS Aggregator which pulls in news articles and puts them on the front page.  This plugin did not update properly after the server move, and I think anyone who interacted with the plugin (e.g. clicked a link) somehow cannot load Billikens.com in Chrome on desktops.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin - and I was able to get things working for me on my home computer.  (My gut is that my work computer is a completely different problem - but not sure.)

If after clearing your cache and all relevant browser history, restarting your computer, and loading the main page still doesn't work...my befuddlement will continue.

Steve

When I search for billikens.com on Google on my home computer the top link is to the front page. When I click that it goes to an error page. When I choose to go to straight to the board it works.

I had the front page bookmarked on my chrome. At work and home that bookmark takes me to the error page. Mobile does not.

Steve, just to say, Firefox allowed things like Java for much longer than Chrome did. There are issues with videos and presentations not working in Chrome that do work in Firefox. However Firefox has been changing as of lately. I have not tried out the new Edge in Win 10 Creators update to any extent so I do not know. I also believe that Shockwave and Flash Player work differently with Firefox and Chrome. It might be easier for you to make sure the site works on a given browser, whatever it may be, and let everyone know which one it is, rather than trying to make it work well in all kinds of different browsers each one with its own quirks.