Gillmann Officially Gone?

slufan13

I know moytoy posted about this in another thread but wanted to give it its own thread since most of the board has been hijacked by trolls lately.

ESPN put out their transfer list for 2017 and they list Gillmann but not Zeke or Neufeld. It's been rumored for a while that Gillmann would not return but this is the most official confirmation we've gotten.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19187379/where-college-basketball-best-transfers-going-2017-18-season 

14 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

I commented in the other thread...  I do find it odd they had him and not the other 2; but I think Gillmann still wants to finish at SLU and I heard he is staying, but maybe not playing...

Sounds like that's exactly what is happening.

12 minutes ago, ARon said:

I wonder if he could end up being a walk-on.

Was just discussing this with an Oakville friend of mine. I know Eckerle voluntarily gave up his scholarship one year, but has there ever been a case of a guy who was originally brought in on scholarship who came back as a walk-on/practice player?

32 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

Was just discussing this with an Oakville friend of mine. I know Eckerle voluntarily gave up his scholarship one year, but has there ever been a case of a guy who was originally brought in on scholarship who came back as a walk-on/practice player?

The only thing I could think of is this and it isn't exactly him just giving up a scholarship. http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2014/11/17/xavier-center-matt-stainbrook-tim-stainbrook-uber-scholarship/

One time Bills recruit Stainbrook gave up the scholarship he was on as a 5th year MBA student so it could go to his brother, a sophomore walk on. Basically he was saving his parents/brother about 30k in loans or payouts. 

There can't be many of these, and I am sure the NCAA watches programs like SLU or X to make sure there is 0 impropriety involved, i.e. a guy going off athletic scholarship and onto a pres scholar type thing. 

55 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

Doug McDermott gave up his scholarship his senior year as Creighton was over schollied. His went to a 5th year senior, Gibbs.  But, Dad easily had the coin and/or his son got some sort of break due to his Dad's employment.

Yes, good luck Mr. Gillmann.  You are an asset to the Saint Louis University community.  You will do fine in life.

I don't know the answer to this, but I would hope that the NCAA would allow him to go on academic scholarship.  If his grades are worthy of a scholarship, and he's not going to play D1 basketball anymore, what would be the harm in letting him finish out his education on a different type of scholarship?

I don't have first-hand information, but I imagine the university worked out an arrangement where AG will be pay little or no tuition to finish off his academics at SLU. I imagine AG wants to graduate from SLU with his friends but understood the status of the program and his prospects in the sport. I am sure he has a lot of pride and didn't want to be viewed as holding back the program. It is likely a fair result for all.

1 minute ago, davidnark said:

I don't have first-hand information, but I imagine the university worked out an arrangement where AG will be pay little or no tuition to finish off his academics at SLU. I imagine AG wants to graduate from SLU with his friends but understood the status of the program and his prospects in the sport. I am sure he has a lot of pride and didn't want to be viewed as holding back the program. It is likely a fair result for all.

It has been my understanding for a month or so that gillmann will graduate over the summers