Billiken Golf Classic Online Auction

34 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

This was my reaction after going through the items again. Nothing really Billiken branded to bid on. If I'm bidding on something that's not an experience I want something Billikens I can wear or display 

There is one item that is listed as "SLU Gear" and says it includes a SLU polo, jacket, and hat, but it doesn't have any pictures that would indicate what you're actually getting.  The presentation of everything up for auction is pretty awful.  Most of the descriptions are lacking the kind of details I would want if I was bidding.

55 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

There is one item that is listed as "SLU Gear" and says it includes a SLU polo, jacket, and hat, but it doesn't have any pictures that would indicate what you're actually getting.  The presentation of everything up for auction is pretty awful.  Most of the descriptions are lacking the kind of details I would want if I was bidding.

A more fair take.

6 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

The thing that always escapes this athletic department. In this regard is it overworked, incompetent, or laziness? 

Hard to argue. 

The mascot appearance thing seems better suited to a higher buy-it-now price with the opportunity for a handful of people to get one. Do any of the former mascots on here know if I could made a one time donation (bigger than the winning bid this year) and maybe get an appearance at a neighborhood event, even though I didn't win the auction?

7 minutes ago, Old guy said:

It sounds like they might like an offer like this. Rather than asking the board I think you might want to contact the Athletic Deparment and check to see if they are interested.

Worth a try. I was just curious, since we have had at least a couple mascots/former mascots post on here. This was my first year bidding, and my phone wasn't quick enough to get a final bid under the wire.

If you really want to win, use a desktop, prepare a bid about 20% over the last bid and time the bid to go in about 20 seconds before the closing of the auction. Try this with a couple of cheap things in ebay first and then do it for real to get what you want.

30 minutes ago, Old guy said:

If you really want to win, use a desktop, prepare a bid about 20% over the last bid and time the bid to go in about 20 seconds before the closing of the auction. Try this with a couple of cheap things in ebay first and then do it for real to get what you want.

Haha. Yeah, I am an eBay veteran. It surprised me there was no way to set a max bid like there is on eBay. I had planned to do a last second bid but came in late. Oh well, congrats to the winner.

1 hour ago, hsmith19 said:

Haha. Yeah, I am an eBay veteran. It surprised me there was no way to set a max bid like there is on eBay. I had planned to do a last second bid but came in late. Oh well, congrats to the winner.

Yeah.  No max bid and not having it be an auto-extending auction are kinda baffling.  Given the flurry of bids at the end I bet they could've pulled in an extra couple hundred bucks across the whole thing.