SLU Stadiums?

16 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Link to auction? I've looked everywhere and it appears that you have to have a double secret super donor link. Another fail from the marketing department

I've been told by guys at Chaifetz that marketing is done by students and that they are learning that's why it's so hit and miss. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Link to auction? I've looked everywhere and it appears that you have to have a double secret super donor link. Another fail from the marketing department

https://www.32auctions.com/GolfClassicAuction2017

you have to go to the Billikens club then the golf outing option from the drop down menu, not the big picture link on the main page (at least via mobile site), then scroll down. 

They need to have a program to update and improve the sports facilities.  Call it Billiken 2025 or something like that.  Present designs and fund raising goals for each facility.  It is easier to raise money when you present a vision of what can be accomplished with a donation.

12 minutes ago, brianstl said:

They need to have a program to update and improve the sports facilities.  Call it Billiken 2025 or something like that.  Present designs and fund raising goals for each facility.  It is easier to raise money when you present a vision of what can be accomplished with a donation.

Exactly. I'm a season ticket holder and member of the Billiken Club. I've never been made aware of a fundraising effort beyond a general solicitation. 

I get 72 Fan's point, but slu struggles to even hit singles in the marketing department. 

I do not know if you are aware that the SLU Law School went this route with architectural drawings, and solicitation of donors. Then Biondi was given an empty building by someone and moved the Law school there. This did not made the donors happy, they were expecting something else. 

15 minutes ago, brianstl said:

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

I do not know if you are aware that the SLU Law School went this route with architectural drawings, and solicitation of donors. Then Biondi was given an empty building by someone and moved the Law school there. This did not made the donors happy, they were expecting something else. 

"Someone" was Joe Scott, one of the richest people in St. Louis that no one had ever heard of. He owns, among other things, Crown Valley Winery down by Ste. Genevieve, as well as about 10% of Florida. (You think I'm exaggerating? Well, yeah, a little -- but you wouldn't believe how much land he owns.) That whole thing could have been a win-win, but the all-knowing St. Larry did things so well by doing them his way or the highway, which ironically is where he ended up. And all kinds of multimillion-dollar donors got their noses out of joint, and the law school went through all kinds of bedlam. But hey, Biondi made such tremendous improvements, so he for quite a while (and still, from some) he got a pass for being a first-class jerk to the little people (and a bunch of big people as well). 

Luckily, Father Macchiavelli ain't in charge any more if the athletic department would like to try a strategic, well-planned approach like showing a vision, setting goals and raising money.  

29 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

I would love to hear more about this. Seriously?

They have a program where they let students get real experience in marketing. I think the marketing is pretty decent all things considered. The guys that told me that worked doing events and marketing through their time at SLU. Said it was a great experience. Have to learn somewhere.

22 minutes ago, Doubleday said:

They have a program where they let students get real experience in marketing. I think the marketing is pretty decent all things considered. The guys that told me that worked doing events and marketing through their time at SLU. Said it was a great experience. Have to learn somewhere.

Cheap bastards. The marketing director is a total cuck 

27 minutes ago, Doubleday said:

I'm sure it's a solid program, but it really needs to be done by professionals at this level, especially when you've seen the things put out over the last couple years. I'd be a little disappointed to learn that's how things are taken care of these days. The work speaks for itself 

Nothing wrong with having marketing students go through a program where they do actual marketing as part of their education. This is fine. The thing that is wrong is to assume that this program is the basis for all marketing (including fundraising) that is  done by the University. This is a truly myopic view, they have professionals do the heavy lifting. You may have as bad an opinion about what these marketing professionals are doing but they have professionals doing it.

8 hours ago, bonwich said:

"Someone" was Joe Scott, one of the richest people in St. Louis that no one had ever heard of. He owns, among other things, Crown Valley Winery down by Ste. Genevieve, as well as about 10% of Florida. (You think I'm exaggerating? Well, yeah, a little -- but you wouldn't believe how much land he owns.) That whole thing could have been a win-win, but the all-knowing St. Larry did things so well by doing them his way or the highway, which ironically is where he ended up. And all kinds of multimillion-dollar donors got their noses out of joint, and the law school went through all kinds of bedlam. But hey, Biondi made such tremendous improvements, so he for quite a while (and still, from some) he got a pass for being a first-class jerk to the little people (and a bunch of big people as well). 

Luckily, Father Macchiavelli ain't in charge any more if the athletic department would like to try a strategic, well-planned approach like showing a vision, setting goals and raising money.  

Yes, fully agree, you do not raise millions upon millions of dollars (I am talking about the needs of the University not the Athletic Dept. alone) by doing what Biondi did. Oh, I do believe how much money Joe Scott has.

9 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Nothing wrong with having marketing students go through a program where they do actual marketing as part of their education. This is fine. The thing that is wrong is to assume that this program is the basis for all marketing (including fundraising) that is  done by the University. This is a truly myopic view, they have professionals do the heavy lifting. You may have as bad an opinion about what these marketing professionals are doing but they have professionals doing it.

Don't think anyone would make that assumption, and by all means let the students knock themselves out, but when you hear students are involved in the marketing and think, "well that would make sense since the work is often riddled with errors" there's an issue somewhere. Perhaps not as many professionals as needed, or they just stink at proofreading 

13 hours ago, johnbj14 said:

For an example of how to properly build a stadium around a decent field, see UIC and what they did. Had a set-up pretty similar to SLU and then built a modest stadium around it. Does it improve attendance? Maybe. Does it provide a nice environment for fans and scouts? Absolutely. 

Here is a good angle of the field and stands. Nothing super flashy, just better than what was there before. 

http://www.terraengineering.com/wp-content/uploads/UIC-Curtis-Granderson-Stadium_Chicago-Illinois_TERRA-Engineering_traffic-engineering.jpg

Or an example I love. ND's Frank Eck Stadium, cost of construction- $5.2MM. And I don't think you need something this large either. I'm just looking for a grandstand. 

Frank Eck Stadium.jpg

12 hours ago, brianstl said:

Yesssssss.

It's also my understanding that we do not fund our athletic scholarships to the NCAA maximum.  Fundraising to accomplish that would be nice too.

15 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Yesssssss.

It's also my understanding that we do not fund our athletic scholarships to the NCAA maximum.  Fundraising to accomplish that would be nice too.

It was also a little disappointing to not see a campaign for SLU's bicentennial for our general fundraising. "The Campaign for SLU 200." 

11 hours ago, Doubleday said:

I saw the same student/marketing intern eating nachos at his table on the concourse during a basketball game multiple times last season. Love the real world experience the interns get, but you got to have some guidance from above.

A capital campaign takes a lot of planning and foresight. Neither skills are possessed by anyone in the athletic department administration. 

As box said, fully funding the current sports should be priority #1. Priority #2 should be upgrading the baseball/softball areas, as the "upgrades" they made are truly pathetic. Baseball will never be CWS-level successful without some sort of upgrade in facilities. The program is already hamstrung by having piss poor weather to deal with in the early spring. 

7 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

How many people on this board have been approached and asked to donate to a specific capital campaign?

No one? Oh. 

Exactly. I would get behind a targeted campaign. I just don't feel that donating to athletics general athletics is a worthwhile use of what little money I could spare. 

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Exactly. I would get behind a targeted campaign. I just don't feel that donating to athletics general athletics is a worthwhile use of what little money I could spare. 

Actually I agree with you.  What they really need is a long term planning process that is well articulated and available for all to see and buy into.  If they have one already I haven't seen it.

Not sure where to slot this, but SLU is getting a little over $270K from the NCAA, to be used towards “the direct benefit of the student-athlete and their academic success, life skills, career success, health and safety and student-athlete focused diversity and inclusion initiatives"

On 4/14/2017 at 8:02 AM, prebilliken said:

Or an example I love. ND's Frank Eck Stadium, cost of construction- $5.2MM. And I don't think you need something this large either. I'm just looking for a grandstand. 

Frank Eck Stadium.jpg

Played on Evansville's stadium in high school - they had something similar

http://www.gopurpleaces.com/sports/2007/10/22/BB_1022072024.aspx?path=baseball