SLU Stadiums?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of other sports and their arenas...has their ever been talk of starting a hockey team at SLU?

There seems to be a good culture around the Blues in the city already. Maybe the university can tap into that? I know that hockey isn't a huge college sport, but it has a strong niche following. I currently live in Denver, and DU just won the national championship and they have strong rivalries. It's a big deal for the fans. It could give SLU fans something more to get excited about beyond basketball  without breaking the bank for a football team.

15 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

Speaking of other sports and their arenas...has their ever been talk of starting a hockey team at SLU?

There seems to be a good culture around the Blues in the city already. Maybe the university can tap into that? I know that hockey isn't a huge college sport, but it has a strong niche following. I currently live in Denver, and DU just won the national championship and they have strong rivalries. It's a big deal for the fans. It could give SLU fans something more to get excited about beyond basketball  without breaking the bank for a football team.

No chance...

Agree there is no real chance though I would love it.  I do wonder if SLU has ever approached Blues about building a practice rink in the location where the foundry wanted to put an MLS stadium.  Put a couple sheets of ice there for local teams to rent with a spot for Blues to practice and SLU to play.  With the amount of NHL alumni that live in the area, think there would be interest but money would prohibit it unless one of them has a lot more money than I think and wants it.  

8 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Agree there is no real chance though I would love it.  I do wonder if SLU has ever approached Blues about building a practice rink in the location where the foundry wanted to put an MLS stadium.  Put a couple sheets of ice there for local teams to rent with a spot for Blues to practice and SLU to play.  With the amount of NHL alumni that live in the area, think there would be interest but money would prohibit it unless one of them has a lot more money than I think and wants it.  

I forgot to add that it would be a title IX disaster unless you add women's hockey too. 

Not to keep harping on the "no chance" line but unless it was a previous regime I don't see anyone in this administration wanting to think about long term projects or any sort of additions to the AD. I also cannot imagine the AD adding a new sport that would play off campus. On the blues side, I believe half or close to half of the blues players live outside the city. I would imagine that and general area would be an issue with building a downtown/midtown practice facility. 

I was at a town hall last year where Pestello was taking questions. A club hockey guy asked him about it and he said no to hockey but they were working on the possibility of making an indoor tennis facility.

Heard more slumors this year that they want to put it across the tracks from Chaifetz where the shotput stuff currently is. Pestello said there isn't really any other indoor facility in the city. I played tennis in HS so I know places can charge ridiculous amounts for court time so I think they would do it as a way to make money. No competition, year round use, charge what you want for court time. Could pay for itself after not too long.

14 minutes ago, Billikid said:

I was at a town hall last year where Pestello was taking questions. A club hockey guy asked him about it and he said no to hockey but they were working on the possibility of making an indoor tennis facility.

Heard more slumors this year that they want to put it across the tracks from Chaifetz where the shotput stuff currently is. Pestello said there isn't really any other indoor facility in the city. I played tennis in HS so I know places can charge ridiculous amounts for court time so I think they would do it as a way to make money. No competition, year round use, charge what you want for court time. Could pay for itself after not too long.

That would be amazing. I would love to go watch SLU tennis. 

49 minutes ago, Billikid said:

That could be good for the program and department. When I was in school, tennis was frequently out at Sunset Hills CC when they needed indoor facilities. Pretty far away, and SLU was obviously losing money on the deal.

26 minutes ago, bonwich said:

I believe the MAC's tennis facilities, or at least shared tennis facilities, are next to Assumption Greek Orthodox off 270 north of Manchester. 

correct. and you must wear a suit and tie while playing

34 minutes ago, bonwich said:

I believe the MAC's tennis facilities, or at least shared tennis facilities, are next to Assumption Greek Orthodox off 270 north of Manchester. 

That is the MAC west. Use to be a tennis club which the MAC bought about 20 years ago. 

1 hour ago, bonwich said:

That is the West location of MAC, it used to be independent but MAC bought them many years ago.