SLU Stadiums?

1 hour ago, Billy Ken said:

You can get as tired as you want. U of K rules the state and what that AD did was impressive at Louisville. Easy thing he could of said was make excuses, why try because Kentucky is too powerful and we are Louisville? Not short sighted thinking, he had a vision and executed. Plus, why didn't it happen before that AD got there if it was a state school? They were able to develop a plan and find the money. That was my point not trying to compare SLU to Louisville overall, just the fact of having a plan and vision. That's it.

Sure, I get that UK is the flagship and that very similar undertones are taken up by the woe-is-me schools of the world like Louisville and Michigan State, as they brand themselves by some sort of inferiority complex. I get that Jurich is a good Athletic Director - fantastic. But he also left Fort Collins and CSU where athletics probably aren't the end-all-be-all they are at Louisville to take a job where donors would give money and probably a vital organ to one-up Kentucky. State resources, alumni resources, etc. - Jurich doesn't have to be Phil Hellmuth when he's playing with house money.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this entire thread, I mean that in all sincerity, it shows people care. 

05 is right, our baseball field could be so much nicer with minor improvements that would cost in the low thousands. You don't need a minor league stadium, but an eyesore, regardless of the cost, is unacceptable. Furthermore, the Baseball Bills have put an increasingly improved product on the field, they deserve love. Remove those rickety stands, replace them with bleachers that feature plastic seats, brick them in to make them match the facade of the Chaifetz. Build a brick stand to sell beer and hot dogs, students will come if there is beer involved. 

SLU's soccer stadium reflects its status as a soccer power, it has come and gone. And if you don't think a nice field with a good team would put people in the seats, go see a Creighton game. That's not a school with Louisville's budget, its a school with a smaller student population than ours. For God's sake, Brian Mc-f-ing-Bride's "Jersey" is retired next to a US Bank ad. Its pathetic. 

05 is also right that all of this falls on May's shoulders. He lacks vision, he lacks bold thinking, don't even mention funding, what he does with our current merchandising strategy, outreach, facilities, is a shame, he can't improve his current situation rather let alone forge forward. 

Louisville is a bad example, I have been on a ton of college campuses and their facilities rank among Oregon, Notre Dame, and believe it or not Arkansas, as the finest sport to sport portfolio I have seen in college stadia. But SLU has this GORGEOUS part of campus that people rarely frequent for athletic events because they are dumps. 

Something to remember too, bigger isn't always better, if you knocked down the visitors bleachers at Hermann to have a nicer main stand, that was always filled, wouldn't it be more pleasing? Then you could take that space gained and make room for the bricked in stands at the baseball stadium. The flow of stadiums looking into the Chaifetz on the hill and the downtown skyline makes for great vies. 

This isn't that hard, May just isn't bold enough to do it. 

1 hour ago, prebilliken said:

I love this entire thread, I mean that in all sincerity, it shows people care. 

05 is right, our baseball field could be so much nicer with minor improvements that would cost in the low thousands. You don't need a minor league stadium, but an eyesore, regardless of the cost, is unacceptable. Furthermore, the Baseball Bills have put an increasingly improved product on the field, they deserve love. Remove those rickety stands, replace them with bleachers that feature plastic seats, brick them in to make them match the facade of the Chaifetz. Build a brick stand to sell beer and hot dogs, students will come if there is beer involved. 

SLU's soccer stadium reflects its status as a soccer power, it has come and gone. And if you don't think a nice field with a good team would put people in the seats, go see a Creighton game. That's not a school with Louisville's budget, its a school with a smaller student population than ours. For God's sake, Brian Mc-f-ing-Bride's "Jersey" is retired next to a US Bank ad. Its pathetic. 

05 is also right that all of this falls on May's shoulders. He lacks vision, he lacks bold thinking, don't even mention funding, what he does with our current merchandising strategy, outreach, facilities, is a shame, he can't improve his current situation rather let alone forge forward. 

Louisville is a bad example, I have been on a ton of college campuses and their facilities rank among Oregon, Notre Dame, and believe it or not Arkansas, as the finest sport to sport portfolio I have seen in college stadia. But SLU has this GORGEOUS part of campus that people rarely frequent for athletic events because they are dumps. 

Something to remember too, bigger isn't always better, if you knocked down the visitors bleachers at Hermann to have a nicer main stand, that was always filled, wouldn't it be more pleasing? Then you could take that space gained and make room for the bricked in stands at the baseball stadium. The flow of stadiums looking into the Chaifetz on the hill and the downtown skyline makes for great vies. 

This isn't that hard, May just isn't bold enough to do it. 

You really did a much better job articulating what I was trying to from the beginning . SLU needs facilities that are really nice, not gigantic stadiums and well thought out across the board. The skyline, next to the arena is awesome and should be used as a better selling point. Need facilities to complement Chaifetz not take away. The indoor hitting cages don't have running water or AC. It's just basically a garage with cages inside and not that nice at all. Heard it cost in the neighborhood of $400K???? IF this is true and AD signed off, I rest my case.

Again great post prebilliken and 05.

8 minutes ago, Doubleday said:

You really did a much better job articulating what I was trying to from the beginning . SLU needs facilities that are really nice, not gigantic stadiums and well thought out across the board. The skyline, next to the arena is awesome and should be used as a better selling point. Need facilities to complement Chaifetz not take away. The indoor hitting cages don't have running water or AC. It's just basically a garage with cages inside and not that nice at all. Heard it cost in the neighborhood of $400K???? IF this is true and AD signed off, I rest my case.

Again great post prebilliken and 05.

Doesn't surprise me about the batting cages; SLU had received a financial contribution in the form of an elongated batting apparatus net from former MLBer (and Belleville native) Brian Daubach when his brother Brad played here. In a bit of irony, I believe the younger Daubach was injured when a ball went through the netting of said cage, striking him. A lot of bad breaks for Bob Hughes' Bills.

18 hours ago, BillsNBrews1818 said:

Very true, I was referring to the idea and the feel more so than seat numbers or dollars and cents. Those are games that people go to because there is an element of a fan experience outside of what the players are literally doing. Watching SLU baseball on a field such as ours is more like high school where it's fun as long as your kid is on the team. 

SLU's Baseball team unfortunately isn't good enough to merit a better field.

Haven't they won the A-10 League title the past two years? Nice. But that isn't going to excite a lot of people.

Getting to the College World Series might excite some people but SLU would have to do it a couple of years in a row to build some momentum.

Just now, Tilkowsky said:

Haven't they won the A-10 League title the past two years? Nice. But that isn't going to excite a lot of people.

Getting to the College World Series might excite some people but SLU would have to do it a couple of years in a row to build some momentum.

So you want them to be one of the 16 best teams in the whole country?

3 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Doesn't surprise me about the batting cages; SLU had received a financial contribution in the form of an elongated batting apparatus net from former MLBer (and Belleville native) Brian Daubach when his brother Brad played here. In a bit of irony, I believe the younger Daubach was injured when a ball went through the netting of said cage, striking him. A lot of bad breaks for Bob Hughes' Bills.

Stories like this one drive home the point. It just seems like SLU just can't get its act together and just hopes men's basketball is good, makes the tournament and that's good enough. Seems to be overall approach and it's just sad. Too many people care and donate money to have it wasted. Plus we never talk about the students experience. Funny story about the cages. Are those the same cages that are over on left field side of field now? Again another crap project and eye sore. Thanks for the insight, just wish SLU could get it together one day.

4 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

Son, if you would have been around from 02-05, winning two league titles would have seemed like winning the whole goddamn thing in Omaha. Tulane sent their JV team up and Bruce Sutter's kid was coaching with one of those beer-dispensing helmets on his head. So by comparison, SLU's "recent" successes in baseball have been a refreshing change.

6 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

By your logic SLU basketball should have never gotten Chaifetz. Chicken/egg

5 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

Merit a field? The fact that program is even competitive in a private school environment like SLU is a miracle in itself! That field is terrible and I'll bet in last ten years baseball has best winning percentage of any other program in that span. Not certain but if I had to bet money I'd say that's true. Again you have a well run program, and a dump next to Chaifetz. SLU should do it out of pride if anything else.

2 minutes ago, Doubleday said:

Stories like this one drive home the point. It just seems like SLU just can't get its act together and just hopes men's basketball is good, makes the tournament and that's good enough. Seems to be overall approach and it's just sad. Too many people care and donate money to have it wasted. Plus we never talk about the students experience. Funny story about the cages. Are those the same cages that are over on left field side of field now? Again another crap project and eye sore. Thanks for the insight, just wish SLU could get it together one day.

Down the third base line, yes. Can't believe those haven't been hauled out as they are an OSHA violation waiting to happen. Funny enough, the elder Daubach bro was going to SLU, but the Mets drafted him, so he reported to Rookie ball and never looked back. His brother Brad was a good guy, JUCO transfer. I was a student-manager on the team for a few seasons so got to see and hear a lot of crap about our program. The way Hendrickson has the SLU 9 playing over the last few seasons has been nothing short of amazing.

Just now, Bobby Metzinger said:

Down the third base line, yes. Can't believe those haven't been hauled out as they are an OSHA violation waiting to happen. Funny enough, the elder Daubach bro was going to SLU, but the Mets drafted him, so he reported to Rookie ball and never looked back. His brother Brad was a good guy, JUCO transfer. I was a student-manager on the team for a few seasons so got to see and hear a lot of crap about our program. The way Hendrickson has the SLU 9 playing over the last few seasons has been nothing short of amazing.

What are you talking about? You know they have a hitting and pitching facility now and there aren't just open air mesh "cages" 

6 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Son, if you would have been around from 02-05, winning two league titles would have seemed like winning the whole goddamn thing in Omaha. Tulane sent their JV team up and Bruce Sutter's kid was coaching with one of those beer-dispensing helmets on his head. So by comparison, SLU's "recent" successes in baseball have been a refreshing change.

They have turned it around I understand.

The program isn't big enough to merit a better baseball facility.

The money can't just appear.

It has to come from somewhere.

.How many Division I programs are as good as SLU's. Plenty.

Honestly I think Chaiftez is a downgrade from Scottrade.

If SLU ever really got good in basketball again, their arena and lack of tickets would be a downside.

3 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

They have turned it around I understand.

The program isn't big enough to merit a better baseball facility.

The money can't just appear.

It has to come from somewhere.

.How many Division I programs are as good as SLU's. Plenty.

Honestly I think Chaiftez is a downgrade from Scottrade.

If SLU ever really got good in basketball again, their arena and lack of tickets would be a downside.

It's a division one program! Division one! If SLUH down the road has a better baseball field than the college that's an embarrassment and an epic fail. Chaifetz is much nicer than Scottrade. I'm sorry but MBB didn't fill the arena like you think even when they were going to NCAA with majerus running the show. Ford's teams will be better but they haven't done anything just yet. It's the perfect size. How do other schools raise money? You assume because people at SLU can't raise money, then it can't be done at all and that's just the way it is. Wow. 

19 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

What are you talking about? You know they have a hitting and pitching facility now and there aren't just open air mesh "cages" 

Thanks, bro! Haven't been back to see a game this season. Appreciate the info!

33 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

I was around in the early 80's.

It was worse then than 02-05 believe it or not.

16 minutes ago, Doubleday said:

It's a division one program! Division one! If SLUH down the road has a better baseball field than the college that's an embarrassment and an epic fail. Chaifetz is much nicer than Scottrade. I'm sorry but MBB didn't fill the arena like you think even when they were going to NCAA with majerus running the show. Ford's teams will be better but they haven't done anything just yet. It's the perfect size. How do other schools raise money? You assume because people at SLU can't raise money, then it can't be done at all and that's just the way it is. Wow. 

It is a mid major Division I program.

When Spoonhour was around they were getting 18-20,000 at Scottrade.

11 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

hen Spoonhour was around they were getting 18-20,000 at Scottrade.

And paying $20k+ a game to rent the facility. The numbers and facts don't back up your silly idea of scottrade being a better home court in any way. 

For an example of how to properly build a stadium around a decent field, see UIC and what they did. Had a set-up pretty similar to SLU and then built a modest stadium around it. Does it improve attendance? Maybe. Does it provide a nice environment for fans and scouts? Absolutely. 

Here is a good angle of the field and stands. Nothing super flashy, just better than what was there before. 

http://www.terraengineering.com/wp-content/uploads/UIC-Curtis-Granderson-Stadium_Chicago-Illinois_TERRA-Engineering_traffic-engineering.jpg

10 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

For an example of how to properly build a stadium around a decent field, see UIC and what they did. Had a set-up pretty similar to SLU and then built a modest stadium around it. Does it improve attendance? Maybe. Does it provide a nice environment for fans and scouts? Absolutely. 

Here is a good angle of the field and stands. Nothing super flashy, just better than what was there before. 

http://www.terraengineering.com/wp-content/uploads/UIC-Curtis-Granderson-Stadium_Chicago-Illinois_TERRA-Engineering_traffic-engineering.jpg

Great example. Even half that would Ben perfect 

11 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

In 2013, it cost $10,000,000. I'm sure everyone at SLU would love something like this.

Please start the fundraising with a small donation.

This is not complicated, it's all about money. The AD doesn't have enough and we are beginning to lose the NCAA money. 

The golf tournament is coming up, please participate! The on-line auction opened today, please bid. 

Have kids or young relatives? Buy them membership to the Billiken Kids Club. I haven't done the math, but the free tickets probably saves money. Plus, you get points for your Billiken point standing.

Sure the AD would like a $5,000,000 donation, like UIC received, to start their fundraising, but that's probably not going to happen.

23 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

In 2013, it cost $10,000,000. I'm sure everyone at SLU would love something like this.

This is not complicated, it's all about money. The AD doesn't have enough and we are beginning to lose the NCAA money. 

The golf tournament is coming up, please participate! The on-line auction opened today, please bid. 

Have kids or young relatives? Buy them membership to the Billiken Kids Club. I haven't done the math, but the free tickets probably saves money. Plus, you get points for your Billiken point standing.

Sure the AD would like a $5,000,000 donation, like UIC received, to start their fundraising, but that's probably not going to happen.

Great points all around. I think the point everyone is trying to make is the AD doesn't or can't get anyone to give that big donation. This isn't a knock on all the points you just made which are valid and spot on. 

42 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

Link to auction? I've looked everywhere and it appears that you have to have a double secret super donor link. Another fail from the marketing department