SLU Stadiums?

Hello everyone, first ever post!

Who is responsible for raising money to build stadiums for athletics? Is it the university or athletics? I was back on campus recently and the baseball, soccer and softball fields still suck. Not even as nice as some area high school fields.

If it's university I get they have money problems, if it's athletics I blame AD. Either the dude doesn't care or can't get donations either way that's bad. University didn't always have money problems and AD has been there a while. Has to be disconnect somewhere.

Just wondering how no one is doing something about it when there are so many examples of high schools in area with better facilities than the only division one school in St. Louis.

Thanks!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Doubleday said:

Who is responsible for raising money to build stadiums for athletics? Is it the university or athletics? I was back on campus recently and the baseball, soccer and softball fields still suck. Not even as nice as some area high school fields.

If it's university I get they have money problems, if it's athletics I blame AD. Either the dude doesn't care or can't get donations either way that's bad. University didn't always have money problems and AD has been there a while. Has to be disconnect somewhere.

Just wondering how no one is doing something about it when there are so many examples of high schools in area with better facilities than the only division one school in St. Louis.

Thanks!

Excellent first post. It's on the AD to raise the money for the most part and maybe 100%. The kicker is that I've heard that it's been upto Hendrickson to get Alumni donations for the hitting and pitching facility adjacent to the field. It's a criticism that doesn't get brought up enough in my opinion.

I would pay to attend a handful of baseball or softball games if they could improve the fan experience even a little bit with comfortable seating(even just put bleachers with backs to them). 

1 hour ago, Doubleday said:

Thanks!

I actually don't think the stadiums are that bad.

Given the lack of attendance for soccer and baseball I am not sure what you expect.

6 minutes ago, Tilkowsky said:

I actually don't think the stadiums are that bad.

Given the lack of attendance for soccer and baseball I am not sure what you expect.

Kind of a chicken or the egg question. (If you build it they will come?) The baseball team has actually been pretty good, as billikenfan05 said there just isn't anything at all going on for fans. On the field product doesn't make up for the fact that it might as well be SLUH to the untrained eye. As much as the "St. Louis is a soccer city" tagline is thrown around, I think its hard to argue against St. Louis being first and foremost a baseball town. If SLU baseball felt/looked a little more like the Frontier league (Rascals/Grizzlies) and the team was halfway decent I think more people would attend. 

2 minutes ago, BillsNBrews1818 said:

Kind of a chicken or the egg question. (If you build it they will come?) The baseball team has actually been pretty good, as billikenfan05 said there just isn't anything at all going on for fans. On the field product doesn't make up for the fact that it might as well be SLUH to the untrained eye. As much as the "St. Louis is a soccer city" tagline is thrown around, I think its hard to argue against St. Louis being first and foremost a baseball town. If SLU baseball felt/looked a little more like the Frontier league (Rascals/Grizzlies) and the team was halfway decent I think more people would attend. 

This is exactly what I was going to post and then I remembered that Tilkowski isn't worth my effort 

7 minutes ago, BillsNBrews1818 said:

That is an interesting thought.

I have long been surprised by just how bad our overall facilities are compared to other schools. I guess it is hard to compare SLU with schools in power conferences who's athletic departments bring in so much money yet show very little net income (and expenses>revenues for many), so obviously they are spending money on their facilities. I agree with the general thought though, you can walk around a number of local high school and some of the smaller local college athletic complexes that far surpass what SLU has. 

15 minutes ago, BillsNBrews1818 said:

It is a baseball town which is even more disappointing that more people don't go to the games

The baseball team has been pretty good, but not good enough to make the College World Series. Pretty good gets you the attendance figures and attention they are currently getting.

SLU just can't afford a Grizzlies/Rascsls type stadium. Even if they had that I doubt more people would come.

It was similar in my opinion when people said SLU could play soccer in the new MLS stadium. 

True. They could but us that really necessary? Hermann is good enough for SLU. There is no reason SLU soccer would need to play in a 20000 seat stadium.

14 minutes ago, Doubleday said:

Thanks!

Dream on Doubleday, until they find a donor committed to baseball, soccer, or softball, we will be playing where we are playing now. How about the swim team or the diving team, where are our olympic level facilities for these sports... in your dreams of course. Just dream your visions of grandeur and when you get enough money in your account donate a stadium or an olympic level swimming and diving center to SLU with your own name on it. Until then you will have to live with yet another disappointment in your  hands. 

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Dream on Doubleday, until they find a donor committed to baseball, soccer, or softball, we will be playing where we are playing now. How about the swim team or the diving team, where are our olympic level facilities for these sports... in your dreams of course. Just dream your visions of grandeur and when you get enough money in your account donate a stadium or an olympic level swimming and diving center to SLU with your own name on it. Until then you will have to live with yet another disappointment in your  hands. 

Lindenwood is division two and has a better baseball field. Did they go to South Carolina for a regional televised on ESPN? 

As far as soccer, the AD can't give lip service about competition for championships and try and expect the coaches to recruit to SLU with that soccer set up. It's not even fenced in and they charge money??? It's wide open! Look at a Louisville and Creighton. SLU doesn't have a chance. 

Again why do area high schools have nicer facilities than a division one program? If AD can't raise money, get SLUH AD then because he figured out a way in St Louis to get things built.

13 minutes ago, Doubleday said:

Lindenwood is division two and has a better baseball field. Did they go to South Carolina for a regional televised on ESPN? 

As far as soccer, the AD can't give lip service about competition for championships and try and expect the coaches to recruit to SLU with that soccer set up. It's not even fenced in and they charge money??? It's wide open! Look at a Louisville and Creighton. SLU doesn't have a chance. 

Again why do area high schools have nicer facilities than a division one program? If AD can't raise money, get SLUH AD then because he figured out a way in St Louis to get things built.

Lindenwoods Stadium was donated by Lou Brock, not sure what the connection was. 

I just feel like SLU doesn't have an alumni base in the area that takes much pride in SLU Athletics and just doesn't donate well enough.

On 4/12/2017 at 5:36 PM, billikenfan05 said:

Excellent first post. It's on the AD to raise the money for the most part and maybe 100%. The kicker is that I've heard that it's been upto Hendrickson to get Alumni donations for the hitting and pitching facility adjacent to the field. It's a criticism that doesn't get brought up enough in my opinion.

I would pay to attend a handful of baseball or softball games if they could improve the fan experience even a little bit with comfortable seating(even just put bleachers with backs to them). 

AD is a weirdo. I doubt the dude played sports at all, watch the guy at a basketball game and he's like a soccer mom. I thought university has people that raise money for big stuff like stadiums and pools. If they leave it to AD and he just lets coaches do it no wonder the place looks like a dump outside of Chaifetz. I really don't know AD just being around him various times while in school and afterwards he always gave me the feeling if you aren't important I don't have time for you type vibe. Probably why no one gives program money. Thanks

1 minute ago, Doubleday said:

AD is a weirdo. I doubt the dude played sports at all, watch the guy at a basketball game and he's like a soccer mom. I thought university has people that raise money for big stuff like stadiums and pools. If they leave it to AD and he just lets coaches do it no wonder the place looks like a dump outside of Chaifetz. I really don't know AD just being around him various times while in school and afterwards he always gave me the feeling if you aren't important I don't have time for you type vibe. Probably why no one gives program money. Thanks

:wub::wub::wub:

Doubleday you are probably correct in your estimation of the AD and the way he looked at you. I am sure if you had about $10 M that you wanted to donate to someone he  would treat you differently. And yes SLU has big donors, they just do not appear to be interested in baseball, or soccer, or softball. Until they find someone who is interested, the current physical facilities will have to do. 

16 minutes ago, Doubleday said:

AD is a weirdo. I doubt the dude played sports at all, watch the guy at a basketball game and he's like a soccer mom. I thought university has people that raise money for big stuff like stadiums and pools. If they leave it to AD and he just lets coaches do it no wonder the place looks like a dump outside of Chaifetz. I really don't know AD just being around him various times while in school and afterwards he always gave me the feeling if you aren't important I don't have time for you type vibe. Probably why no one gives program money. Thanks

You contradicted yourself in a major way, but carry on

3 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Doubleday you are probably correct in your estimation of the AD and the way he looked at you. I am sure if you had about $10 M that you wanted to donate to someone he  would treat you differently. And yes SLU has big donors, they just do not appear to be interested in baseball, or soccer, or softball. Until they find someone who is interested, the current physical facilities will have to do. 

I totally meant no disrespect to you at all and I agree with sure you treat big donors different. But the guy just seems like a creep. I just think if your going to be in a job like his you should at least be smart enough to fake people into thinking you are nice. Heck, imagine if you were really nice for real? Again, I don't know the guy just what I've seen and experienced leaves me not impressed. If he really is responsible to raise all the money for athletics SLU should and can do better. Thanks

What I meant is I don't know the guy personally, he really doesn't give you a reason to want to get to know him. That was my point, just giving my opinion. He could be the greatest person alive, but if he can't raise money that hurts the program at the end of the day. My experience with the guy is that he thinks he's a big deal and it's a privilege you get his time at all. Just want to see whole program get better and on par with some area high schools at the very least. I mean it's just a division one program, not that big of deal. Right? We should expect more across the board. Thanks

20 minutes ago, Doubleday said:

What I meant is I don't know the guy personally, he really doesn't give you a reason to want to get to know him. That was my point, just giving my opinion. He could be the greatest person alive, but if he can't raise money that hurts the program at the end of the day. My experience with the guy is that he thinks he's a big deal and it's a privilege you get his time at all. Just want to see whole program get better and on par with some area high schools at the very least. I mean it's just a division one program, not that big of deal. Right? We should expect more across the board. Thanks

He's a really good guy, you don't know jack. By the way, they just built a track and field facility and dropped a .5 million into the baseball field. 

As I've said many times before, quit your complaining and write a check. 

6 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

He's a really good guy, you don't know jack. By the way, they just built a track and field facility and dropped a .5 million into the baseball field. 

Guys it doesn't matter if you like him or not. I think the point Doubleday is trying to make is the AD isn't good at his job? The track and field facility isn't even close to as nice as Lindenwood or even Kirkwood and baseball field is bad for a college, especially D-1. Those aren't very good examples. It costs money to be a D-1 program in 2017. Real easy to just say write a check or AD is weird, bigger question is how much does university president care or understand athletics. I think that's the problem actually.

8 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

Cmon 72, I like the guy personally but you know he can come off that way. I think Doubleday is making valid points. Where did the half a million go to on the baseball field? Did they inclose the stadium? Did they improve seating or the fan experience in any way? Until they do that you aren't going to attract even basic fans let alone big donors.