A10 Decommits/Transfers

2 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

And bishop was also just a freshman.  I'm sure he'll never mature at all and will never get better in key situations. (Should be typed in blue but tough to do on my phone)

I'm guessing Jordair was a lot more out of control than Bishop was as a freshman.. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jett was bigger, stronger faster and more athletic as a freshman than bishop will ever be.   Jett was the prototype of recruiting potential.   And credit jett's work ethic for 4 years to maximize that potential.

Bishop a far better shooter, but unfortunately somebody guarding the shooter sometimes minimizes that one dimension of basketball.  

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Jett was bigger, stronger faster and more athletic as a freshman than bishop will ever be.   Jett was the prototype of recruiting potential.   And credit jett's work ethic for 4 years to maximize that potential.

Bishop a far better shooter, but unfortunately somebody guarding the shooter sometimes minimizes that one dimension of basketball.  

agree

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

That's great. Not what we're talking about. Obvs Jett was a monster 

And back in the "Ooops Department" ...... John Crosby has re-enrolled at YouDee and been reinstated to the roster.  Got to believe Grant said where you going anfd you're my starter so back came John.

On another YouDee front, part-time starter Ryan Mikesell needs hip surgery and might miss the upcoming season.

On 5/7/2017 at 9:35 AM, 3star_recruit said:

Bishop averaged 4.7 apg playing alongside an injured shooting guard, a power forward with hands of stone and three slightly built freshmen who had never played D-1 ball before.  Next year he'll have a much better cast of finishers around him. If he can cut down his turnovers, Bishop could be one of the most productive assist men per minute played in the conference.  Yet he isn't a point guard but the Dayton player who averaged two less assists than Bishop in high school, is. It's tough being a Billiken fan.

Comparing freshmen seasons, Bishop had a much better A/TO rate than Jett, slightly better than Mitchell and slightly worse than McCall. fwiw he had a much better rate than Liddell in his senior season.  * I understand, it's just one measure, so no need to freak out.

Schmidt at Bonaventure just landed a commitment from UNLV sophomore shooting guard transfer Jaylen Poyser.  Originally, a three-star recruit out of Canada via Findley Prep in Henderson, NV, Poyser averaged 10. 4 ppg in 31 games for the Runnin' Rebels last year.  He will sit out the coming year.  I guess he must've missed his Ontario roots -- Las Vegas to Olean is quite a culture shock.  Henderson is suburban Vegas too.

• 2 weeks later...

Doughty started 15 of the 35 games he played in last year, missing nary a game.  He was their fourth leading scorer at 9.0 ppg right behind Alie-Cox (9.5) and second leading returning scorer behind Tillman (12.2). 

I found it strange too and there is no information available other than it was a "mutual decision" agreed upon between new coach Rhoades and Doughty.  No landing spot identified.  I envision two scenarios -- one where Doughty and Rhoades met and Doughty didn't click and wanted out, or two, end of the semester with grades and all in and Doughty is in academic trouble.  But I have no info to speculate one way or the other.  Just really odd timing.

VCU is hurting big time.   They return now only Williams and Tillman.  Williams is a drive-only guard much in the form of Jordair Jett but not as physically strong right now.  He disdains the jump shot.  Tillman is decent on the blocks but like any big man, he needs someone to get him the ball.  This combination will be hard-pressed to maintain the VCU consistency seen over the last few years.  VCU's rising junior class is non-existent.  They have to wait a year for Marcus Evans to come eligible on his transfer from Rice meaning both Williams and Tillman will be gone when he is eligible.  Their rising sophomore class is equally bankrupt.  Can Khris Lane post similar numbers in the A10 at VCU that he did in the Big South at Longwood?  At 6'6" he's not that big of a "big man" in the A10 as he is in the Big South.  And the competition is a few rungs higher than down there.  I know -- my daughter went to High Point.  Their recruiting class is all listed at 3*s and above but who knows until they perform.  They have 11 on the current roster and five are newbies. 

The Mike Rhoades era is not starting as well as expected.  It was going to be tough with three returning players.  I think this makes them middle of the pack next year at best.  But, good for them, its a down year in the A10.

Mike Rhoades.  Travis Ford.  Alan Grant.  Brad Underwood.  No matter the situation, coaching changes all lead to players leaving for whatever reasons.  And if you believe most sign with coaches, then it's really a no-brainer.    Guys like Tevin Mack to Texas with Shaka.  Mayan Kiir to LSU with Will Wade.  Some guys even just leave when the old guy is purely canned.  Isaiah Mike at Duquesne with Jim Ferry.  Alan Grant lost two of Archie's kids plus Crosby who came back.  Rhoades is left with Williams and Tillman much like Ford was left with Crawford and Agbeko.  He's got his Rice transfer and his Longwood transfer but there isn't a huge influx of talent like Ford enjoyed with Foreman, Bess, Henriquez and Graves and he currently sits at a goose egg on his 41 open offers for 2019 meaning he has no Ford-like hype from stuff like Goodwin, French and Gordon.  He has a lot of offers out to 4* kids and the like but only time will tell.  I can easily see the progression from Shaka to Wade; I am not that entrenched with VCU to really know if Rhoades will be any good over the long haul.  And I really do believe Wade rode Shaka's coattails with Lewis, Johnson, Ali-Cox, Hamdy, Williams and Tillman anyway.  There isn't a decent Wade-ONLY recruit on the VCU roster right now as far as I'm concerned.

33 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Mike Rhoades.  Travis Ford.  Alan Grant.  Brad Underwood.  No matter the situation, coaching changes all lead to players leaving for whatever reasons.  And if you believe most sign with coaches, then it's really a no-brainer.    Guys like Tevin Mack to Texas with Shaka.  Mayan Kiir to LSU with Will Wade.  Some guys even just leave when the old guy is purely canned.  Isaiah Mike at Duquesne with Jim Ferry.  Alan Grant lost two of Archie's kids plus Crosby who came back.  Rhoades is left with Williams and Tillman much like Ford was left with Crawford and Agbeko.  He's got his Rice transfer and his Longwood transfer but there isn't a huge influx of talent like Ford enjoyed with Foreman, Bess, Henriquez and Graves and he currently sits at a goose egg on his 41 open offers for 2019 meaning he has no Ford-like hype from stuff like Goodwin, French and Gordon.  He has a lot of offers out to 4* kids and the like but only time will tell.  I can easily see the progression from Shaka to Wade; I am not that entrenched with VCU to really know if Rhoades will be any good over the long haul.  And I really do believe Wade rode Shaka's coattails with Lewis, Johnson, Ali-Cox, Hamdy, Williams and Tillman anyway.  There isn't a decent Wade-ONLY recruit on the VCU roster right now as far as I'm concerned.

Interesting stuff thank you for sharing.

5 hours ago, Taj79 said:

There isn't a decent Wade-ONLY recruit on the VCU roster right now as far as I'm concerned.

Top 60 recruit De'Riante Jenkins broke into a strong VCU rotation before going down to injury in early January last year.   No Doughty will mean more minutes for Jenkins, who projects as a higher upside player.

I agree Jenkins has a high upside possible.  I'd also caution that with the recent Burgess brother who was a 4* coming in but didn't quite produce to the hype.

• 3 weeks later...