A10 Decommits/Transfers

Kellogg's firing at Umass now sees his two freshmen from Louisiana --- Jarreau and Gresham ---- transfer.  Umass is relativelt shot but given their mess of a season,anything could be an improvement. n nThey are currently seen as a package deal and among ESPN's top ten transfers still available.

Also all of the Bonnie offers seem to be committing elsewhere/

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Brantley was passed over by freshman point Anthony Cowan so his playing sat UMd was going down.  Plus with Melo going pro, Turgeon is supposedly looking for a late PG signing.

Anthony Grant is in serious trouble at YouDee with no point guard on the roster. Archie commit McKinley Wright, from Minnesota,decommitted and has now signed with Colorado.  With Crosby leaving and Scoochie graduating, the only guard on the roster are shooting guards Darryl Davis, little played Trey Landers and freshman Jordan Davis.  Dayton has huge problems right now.

14 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Actually Brantley was passed over by freshman point Anthony Cowan so his playing sat UMd was going down.  Plus with Melo going pro, Turgeon is supposedly looking for a late PG signing.

Anthony Grant is in serious trouble at YouDee with no point guard on the roster. Archie commit McKinley Wright, from Minnesota,decommitted and has now signed with Colorado.  With Crosby leaving and Scoochie graduating, the only guard on the roster are shooting guards Darryl Davis, little played Trey Landers and freshman Jordan Davis.  Dayton has huge problems right now.

Wait - maybe Hines can transfer there as a graduate.  He would be a great solution for them.

Two more A10 transfers, however about with as much consequence as Gillmann ---- VCU rising sophomore Marquell Fraser is out the door to parts unknown.  Fraser was about a 3-star recruit to some but only got in less than half of VCU's game and barely averaged a point.  Lewis Djonkam, who decommitted from Duquesne, has verballed with VCU now. 

Geedubya will be losing rising sophomore 6'9"/3 star Kevin Marfo who is transferring to Quinnipia.  Not a big loss considerin ghe playe din about 2/3 of the games avergaign just under 3 ppg but he was already 6'9" and 240.  He could be really good at Quinnipaic's level.  Marfo was Geedubya's highest ranked recruit last year.  They did get a commitment from another 2-star shooting guard in Terry Nolan so they have the market cornered on 2-star shooting guards for next year (3).  But they still have four open scholarships and no pending offers. 

Danny Hurley was bust last week.  He dropped 8 offers for the class of 2018 and joined in the offers for 2019 Center Kofi Cockburn.

Umass has offered former Dayton commit Nahziah Carter, who ha snot eliminated resigning with the Flyers just yet. 

We are in the last two weeks of the spring singing period.  Stuff has got to start happening soon .. even for us.

Reuter was not bad for the Cavaliers ..... played in 32 of their 34 games, got about a quarter per game and scored at about 4 ppg.  Was a 3.3 star player out of high school.  Looks like a power forward at 6'7" and weighing almost 250.  Could do well in the A10, just depends what the team around him looks like.  Unlike Dayton which has no guards, Mason has no front line and Reuter will sit a year. 

Dayton did lock up their "last" signee, the 2-star Czech small forward Matej Svodoba.  Still limited guard representation on Dayton roster with three spots open but no open offers. 

20 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Dayton did lock up their "last" signee, the 2-star Czech small forward Matej Svodoba.  Still limited guard representation on Dayton roster with three spots open but no open offers. 

Do you mean that Dayton has no scholarship offers to any guards?  If yes Dayton really needs to find a JUCO player to fill that void otherwise they will have a miserable 2017-2018 season.  I would think some good players would want to play at Dayton with the fan support and the arena they play in.  Dayton gets a lot of National recognition with the start of the NCAA tournament play in games.  I am surprised with Dayton needing guards that they are not recruiting Jevon Pickett.

The information I have is obviously limited and I don't go digging too, too much, but right now, whomever Dayton is recruiting for the guards' spots is a mystery.  There is talk that they are in the running for Wright State grad transfer Mark Alstork, Wright State's leading scorer last year.  But Alstork has also said he is thinking NBA draft (unlikely he gets drafted) or going back home to play at Michigan.  There is also talk that Louisville, Georgetown, Illinois and South Carolina are after Alstork.  Hmmmm ... crosstown rival Dayton versus some of the big boys.  Who do you pick?

Dayton's coaching staff is also in disarray.  Grant only hired former Illinois bench coach Darren Hertz while Miller assistant Kevin Kuwik has stayed on but not been offered a job by Grant just yet.  Former assistants Tom Ostrum (Indiana) and Allen Griffen (Syracuse) have found other jobs.  Director of Basketball Ops at Dayton Bill Comar is off to Indiana as well.  Some sources have stated Grant is also after Mizzou transfer Frankie Hughes but that doesn't help them next year as Hughes has to sit out. 

Guy went from Louisville to Georgetown and really didn't do much at either place.  The only thing I'll disagree with is your sentence structure ..... I would counter that if the kid doesn't choose us, we have no option to choose as we see fit, per your statement.  We are not shopping, they are shopping.  Hometown is listed as Omaha which would give us a geographic pull but the name suggests not really a Nebraskan per se.  Did pull just as many rebounds per game at G-town as he scored points so hope there.  At 6'*'/235 he is an inch taller and five points lighter than Agbeko.  Not too bad.  Decent, I guess, for a one-and doner.

On 4/23/2017 at 8:56 PM, Taj79 said:

Kellogg's firing at Umass now sees his two freshmen from Louisiana --- Jarreau and Gresham ---- transfer.  Umass is relativelt shot but given their mess of a season,anything could be an improvement. n nThey are currently seen as a package deal and among ESPN's top ten transfers still available.

Flowers has left UMass and it looks like Clark coming back is near 0%. They lost 5 rising seniors for 2017-18 team and 3 rising sophs who got a lot of minutes last year.

We probably will not need to talk about UMass for a another year or two but it has got to be a cautionary tale for those who think recruiting alone is the answer (a year ago UMass fans were all hyped that they had their best recruiting class coming in decades).  What matters is players playing and staying (and actually playing well in games together). 

Dayton has offers out to two point guards, both HS seniors, one in Mississippi and another in NC I think.  One was committed to No. Arizona but decommitted recently.  Their other PG offer is toa kid for next year.  No matter, if Grant doesn't get two of them for next year, YouDee will crash mightily.

45 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Dayton has offers out to two point guards, both HS seniors, one in Mississippi and another in NC I think.  One was committed to No. Arizona but decommitted recently.  Their other PG offer is to a kid for next year.  No matter, if Grant doesn't get two of them for next year, YouDee will crash mightily.

I haven't studied Dayton's roster, so I will defer to your comments on their situation.  However, when you look at our roster, how many PG's do we have?  I'll say no true PG.  At times, recruiting sites list guards as PG simply due to their size. 

If you look at our roster, you have Roby, Bishop, Goodwin, and Graves (and Hines) that all can play PG.  However, in my opinion, none are classic PGs in the mold of an H Waldmann.  Roby doesn't need any discussion as far as PG or SG.  Only when Hines was in foul trouble last season did he run the team. 

Bishop has been given the role of PG the past two seasons for lack of other options, but he came in more as a shoot.  Some have said on this board that he serves the team better off the ball.  So I 'll put him in the Combo guard category but with a lean towards PG.

Coach has called Graves a shooting guard who can play both guard positions.  He isn't your prototypical PG. 

Goodwin hasn't played PG in college, so he has to be a Combo at best right now.  His PG future is TBD.

Hines, maybe is is a true PG, but that puts our only true PG as a walk on.

There is nothing wrong with a bunch of Combo guards, as long as one or two of them excel in ball handling skills.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I haven't studied Dayton's roster, so I will defer to your comments on their situation.  However, when you look at our roster, how many PG's do we have?  I'll say no true PG.  At times, recruiting sites list guards as PG simply due to their size. 

If you look at our roster, you have Roby, Bishop, Goodwin, and Graves (and Hines) that all can play PG.

That's the difference.  Dayton doesn't even have a player who has played point guard on their roster right now. Their 3 year starter graduated and their fall signee decommitted.  Anthony Grant is in a really tough situation right now.

26 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

That's the difference.  Dayton doesn't even have a player who has played point guard on their roster right now. Their 3 year starter graduated and their fall signee decommitted.  Anthony Grant is in a really tough situation right now.

Just passing this along, but on the A10 Forum, the Dayton posters are saying they got a 2017 commitment today from a PG out of Memphis.  I know no more, nor care to investigate.  Another poster said they are recruiting the guy Mizzou dumped, Frankie Hughes.

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Just passing this along, but on the A10 Forum, the Dayton posters are saying they got a 2017 commitment today from a PG out of Memphis.  I know no more, nor care to investigate.  Another poster said they are recruiting the guy Mizzou dumped, Frankie Hughes.

I don't know if Mizzou "dumped" Frankie Hughes or not — I think he was tempted to leave at the semester break when his H.S. teammate left — but Dayton would be a good landing spot for him.  With his being from Cleveland, Dayton is closer to home.  He's not a point guard, though.

Dayton is reporting a commitment from 3* point guard Jalen Crutcher from Memphis.  This was somewhat strange to me as until the commitment,Crutcher was listed in the class of 2018.  The strangeness being that he was known but mislisted.  They also now list Tyler Maye as an offer.  Maye was the kid I noted above from NC.  

Crutcher is 6'3" and originally signed with Chattanooga over Umass and Murray State.  When the Chattanooga coach left for Umass,Crutcher decommitted.

Maye is also being recruited by VCU, Nebraska, K State and East Carolina.

The decommit from Northern Arizona is 6'1"point Jitarious Gordon from Horn Lake,MS.  Dayton has called him but has not offered.

Dayton now has a point guard on its roster.  One.

I still have concerns about our PG play for next year. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Bishop is not a point guard.  Hines is a point guard but does not have the skills to dish after he drives into the lane.  His shooting is a turnover waiting to happen.  Roby also has shown he is not a point.  So it comes down to Graves and Goodwin.  But even with just those two, it's a better situation than last year when it was all Hines.  Someone will have to emerge.

Finding no takers or maybe because he didn't graduate, it looks like Duquesne PG Rene Castro re-enrolled at Duquesne. Haven't been impressed with his play much anyway.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Dayton now has a point guard on its roster.  One.

I still have concerns about our PG play for next year. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Bishop is not a point guard.  Hines is a point guard but does not have the skills to dish after he drives into the lane.  His shooting is a turnover waiting to happen.  Roby also has shown he is not a point.  So it comes down to Graves and Goodwin.  But even with just those two, it's a better situation than last year when it was all Hines.  Someone will have to emerge.

Bishop averaged 4.7 apg playing alongside an injured shooting guard, a power forward with hands of stone and three slightly built freshmen who had never played D-1 ball before.  Next year he'll have a much better cast of finishers around him. If he can cut down his turnovers, Bishop could be one of the most productive assist men per minute played in the conference.  Yet he isn't a point guard but the Dayton player who averaged two less assists than Bishop in high school, is. It's tough being a Billiken fan.

33 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The problem with Bishop wasn't just the turnovers, but he turned the ball over at key moments in the game.

and that doesn't count when he hit the side of the backboard on a possession that could have tied the game with under a minute to play.....

ea56abb0a285a0db8d0ca75c01c0df4c.jpg