JT requests Release from NLI

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, SShoe said:

I'm sure it's somewhere in this thread, but what is Porter Sr's coaching background? Does he legitimately have one?

It's important to remember that many on this board felt SLU should bring Justin Tatum on the staff for the same reasons here.  BUT, he was a former player here and is an accomplished high school coach.  

Well, the short version - prior to being hired at Mizzou women's team (when his sister-in-law hired him) he coached his seventh grade daughters team. He was also a christian rapper (no, I'm not kidding). He then miraculously moved to men's team at University of Washington, where his son committed to play. Unrelated, apparently. Now, after one year there he becomes a hugely paid assistant at Missouri, where rather coincidentally his son has now committed. Once again, I will not laugh at him or call it unsavory if he remains a D1 basketball coach for more than 5 or so years after his son's move on (we're often too loose with the word 'graduate').

12 hours ago, SShoe said:

It's important to remember that many on this board felt SLU should bring Justin Tatum on the staff for the same reasons here.  BUT, he was a former player here and is an accomplished high school coach.  

If this is the reason why Justin Tatum and the increased ticket sales did not go to SLU, then it is another example of why Jim Crews should never have been hired. Good riddance.

I don't think we should take such a concern with MU or Cuonzo Martin.  I think Tilmon would be better served next year at SLU because SLU has the better nucleus around him, after that, who knows.  At Mizzou next year, regardless of other talent around Tilmon (even if there are 5 new players), the team will spend most of the season lost adjusting to a new coach.

From what I have read here, Mizzou and Illinois are tearing Tilmon's family life apart.  SLU can be the neutral ground.

Also, I never understand why recruits do not go to a school where they intend to live.  SLU Grads have more support in St. Louis than any other school.  For example, Hughes is basically a local hero.  How many Mizzou players get that treatment?  Tatum is a local coach at a respected program.  How many Mizzou players can say that?  It is the primary advantage of being a player at a University after you finish your playing days. 

If you are not choosing for that reason, then you are choosing a school based on its ability to get you to the pros.  In that case, Kansas or Duke, etc, are the no-brainer choices.  

Basically, I don't think the Mizzou or Illinois options are the best ones for this young man, depending on where he wants to wind up.  That's my two cents.

3 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

If this is the reason why Justin Tatum and the increased ticket sales did not go to SLU, then it is another example of why Jim Crews should never have been hired. Good riddance.

I don't think we should take such a concern with MU or Cuonzo Martin.  I think Tilmon would be better served next year at SLU because SLU has the better nucleus around him, after that, who knows.  At Mizzou next year, regardless of other talent around Tilmon (even if there are 5 new players), the team will spend most of the season lost adjusting to a new coach.

From what I have read here, Mizzou and Illinois are tearing Tilmon's family life apart.  SLU can be the neutral ground.

Also, I never understand why recruits do not go to a school where they intend to live.  SLU Grads have more support in St. Louis than any other school.  For example, Hughes is basically a local hero.  How many Mizzou players get that treatment?  Tatum is a local coach at a respected program.  How many Mizzou players can say that?  It is the primary advantage of being a player at a University after you finish your playing days. 

If you are not choosing for that reason, then you are choosing a school based on its ability to get you to the pros.  In that case, Kansas or Duke, etc, are the no-brainer choices.  

Basically, I don't think the Mizzou or Illinois options are the best ones for this young man, depending on where he wants to wind up.  That's my two cents.

I don't believe SLU is trying to get Tilmon anymore.  They tried during the early signing period.  SLU fans should be very concerned about Mizzou and Coach Martin...this year and definitely next year.  He has given kids a potential alternative to SLU and Illinois.  An opportunity to stay close to home and play in a Power 5 conference in their home state. 

4 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

I don't believe SLU is trying to get Tilmon anymore.  They tried during the early signing period.  SLU fans should be very concerned about Mizzou and Coach Martin...this year and definitely next year.  He has given kids a potential alternative to SLU and Illinois.  An opportunity to stay close to home and play in a Power 5 conference in their home state. 

don't fuoking care

6 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Tilmon obviously has some issues. His recruitment is starting to play out like the strange transfer saga of Cameron Biedscheid. SLU is probably wise to stay away from him at this point. 

Mizzou will obviously be better than the single digit win years of Anderson, but they won't be much different than the Quin or Haith years there. I'm not particularly worried about them and SLU fans probably shouldn't be either. 

7 hours ago, Coach314 said:

I agree coach and I am concerned but the silver lining is a team only has a limited amount of open spots on the roster.

I believe coach Ford will continue to find the players but locally it will be more challenging.

Not concerned about Coach Martin or Mizzou at all.  There will always be some misguided individuals who need a place to play or players' fathers who need a place to make a living on their sons' backs, and Mizzou will be a great spot for them.  The class of each class will see the light and go to SLU if they want to play locally or a top program is they want to go away for school.  

Exhibit A. Goodwin

Exhibit B. Gordon

Exhibit C  Thatch

Potential Exhibit D  Pickett

Several more for 2018 and 2019

3 minutes ago, Macallan 18 said:

Not concerned about Coach Martin or Mizzou at all.  There will always be some misguided individuals who need a place to play or players' fathers who need a place to make a living on their sons' backs, and Mizzou will be a great spot for them.  The class of each class will see the light and go to SLU if they want to play locally or a top program is they want to go away for school.  

Exhibit A. Goodwin

Exhibit B. Gordon

Exhibit C  Thatch

Potential Exhibit D  Pickett

Several more for 2018 and 2019

Gordon and Thatch haven't signed yet. As we have seen...kids change their mind.  It's cool not to care about Mizzou..but what if one of next years commits has a change of heart and wants to go to Mizzou.  Will you care then?

8 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Just like Mizzou fans should be "concerned" about Travis Ford & Brad Underwood. There are more than enough recruits to go around. 

34 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Gordon and Thatch haven't signed yet. As we have seen...kids change their mind.  It's cool not to care about Mizzou..but what if one of next years commits has a change of heart and wants to go to Mizzou.  Will you care then?

That hasn't happened. What are your motives to keep posting this junk?

27 minutes ago, brianstl said:

SLU has something Mizzou and the Illini can't sell.  Hometown hero status in a major league media market without an NBA team.  

You succeed at SLU you basically can get NBA level media coverage.

Exactly.  We're on the path to Claggett and Highmark media coverage all over again but this time with dunks in the highlights.  The next generation of Billiken stars are going to become household names. 

We should be worried of all potential competition for recruits.  If Ford/SLU - long term - continue recruiting strong locally and elsewhere we should be fine.  If I was Missouri I would be worried that Martin will pull is 3 year unhappy feelings and bolt again.  I have heard all the reasons why he left those other schools - MSt was fine given that he was upgrading.  TN - people wanted Pearl.  Cal - unhappy about what - money? help me if I am wrong.  Anderson was allowed to leave because every year he kept asking for more money and Missouri got tired of it.  If Martin is a bit of a malcontent like Anderson then he won't last long there either.  Sooner or later the problem can not always be the other guy - it has to be you at some point if it keeps happening.  

I certainly enjoy watching local HS products play for SLU.  However, I am in the camp that we don't necessarily want every local high level prospect.  Assuming all goes as planned, Mr. Gordon and Mr. Thatch will sign with SLU in November.  Do we want Mr. Watson, sure, but we already have Mr. Thatch, so Mr. Watson would be a nice add on but is not a necessity.  Same with Pickett.  If we get him, great, if we don't move on.  No big deal.  I went on record earlier that I would prefer a Big over a Shooter to fill out this roster. With two of our 11 injured/ineligible for the first semester, we do need to add some numbers to the roster.  I'm not asking anyone to agree, this is my opinion.

You get too many locals, and those that don't play run directly to Maurice Scott who say something stinks at SLU.  Get the 1 to 3 locals each year, say thanks, and then go onto other pastures. Chicago/Milwaukee/Minnie have been good to us in the past decade.  We appear to be doing well in the Greater Metro NY/NE area with Bishop, Foreman and French.  A roster of half local, half from other areas, I'm satisfied.  Conklin, Jett, Evans, and Mitchell are all folk heroes in St. Louis.

9 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Yeah, MIZ should be happy to be he second best team in the area this season (SLU, MIZ, ILL) instead of the third like they were this past season (ILL, SLU, MIZ)

Not much doubt about the college loyalty of coach314.   He is a pure mi$$ouri lover.  

Hoping he's not really a coach with any influence over future recruits.   

40 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I certainly enjoy watching local HS products play for SLU.  However, I am in the camp that we don't necessarily want every local high level prospect. 

And we were never getting every local high level prospect no matter who the coach was at Mizzou.  No school gets get every local high level high prospect, not even the blue bloods. That's why worrying about Martin is much ado about nothing.

Your vision of a 50/50 roster of locals and out-of-towners is going to happen organically.  The staff doesn't have to do anything special to make it happen.

What is Coach saying that is unreasonable?  There's a proven recruiter 90 miles away who has stated publicly that he will recruit players even after they have committed to a school.  Gordon is a 5-star recruit that every D-1 program wants.  We should be wary, but not paranoid, until Gordon signs with SLU.  It's a reasonable position.  

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

SLU has something Mizzou and the Illini can't sell.  Hometown hero status in a major league media market without an NBA team.  

You succeed at SLU you basically can get NBA level media coverage.

Mizzou owns the St. Louis media, especially with Cuonzo. You already have a thread complaining about it.