JT requests Release from NLI

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, HenryB said:

No one questions that it is legal...of course Martin can do it if he chooses.  The point is that people  don't want to keep hearing how virtuous Martin is when he chooses to do it.  Being legal doesn't mean it is ethical.

Exactly. I jumped in when people said they would hire an asst in order to get a recruit. Unlike some, I think it's unsavory and said I wouldn't like such a move. I also said, in a further response, that in Porter's case the credentials don't match with his job. I didn't say illegal or an NCAA violation. But let's call it what it is and not act like the hiring of father and the son's commitment (twice - to UW and Mizzou) were totally separate transactions. That's farcical. I didn't even cast any aspersions towards Martin - and agree with @HenryB that the love and respect some have for the virtuous coach seems a little misplaced.

Porter's hiring is also a helluva waste of public funds, but that's a different matter.

21 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Martin could bring Mother Theresa back from the dead and I am still going to talk smack on him. I don't care if he has impeccable character or not. 

Also, he's a D1 basketball coach. I don't think he's a saint.

Mother Theresa was not without her share of haterzzzz

17 minutes ago, William Iken said:

Exactly. I jumped in when people said they would hire an asst in order to get a recruit. Unlike some, I think it's unsavory and said I wouldn't like such a move. I also said, in a further response, that in Porter's case the credentials don't match with his job. I didn't say illegal or an NCAA violation. But let's call it what it is and not act like the hiring of father and the son's commitment (twice - to UW and Mizzou) were totally separate transactions. That's farcical. I didn't even cast any aspersions towards Martin - and agree with @HenryB that the love and respect some have for the virtuous coach seems a little misplaced.

Porter's hiring is also a helluva waste of public funds, but that's a different matter.

it's not just that they are paying Porter, but he will be one of the highest paid assistant coaches in college basketball (approx $400,000 per year). This for a man with no Div 1 experience. Does anyone really think he is going to be up late at night breaking down game film?

In NCAA Division I basketball, a number of men's and women's teams are nationally known, with top winning schools paying assistant coaches high salaries. For example, as of 2013, assistant coaches for the Michigan men's basketball team make base annual salaries of $155,000 to $160,000.

I'm sure it's somewhere in this thread, but what is Porter Sr's coaching background? Does he legitimately have one?

It's important to remember that many on this board felt SLU should bring Justin Tatum on the staff for the same reasons here.  BUT, he was a former player here and is an accomplished high school coach.  

2 minutes ago, SShoe said:

I'm sure it's somewhere in this thread, but what is Porter Sr's coaching background? Does he legitimately have one?

It's important to remember that many on this board felt SLU should bring Justin Tatum on the staff for the same reasons here.  BUT, he was a former player here and is an accomplished high school coach.  

Since you asked, this article from two years ago discusses his background and the family:

http://www.columbiatribune.com/sports/prep_sports/rock_bridge/for-porter-family-basketball-is-in-the-blood/article_4ef49d62-0792-5ac7-9e8e-dffa8b0c5851.html

5 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

OK, so this is clearly a situation where he's not some top flight assistant and deserves the salary he is getting.  He has children who are awesome at basketball. Talk about a rule that needs to be changed.  Maybe SLU could find some mid-level admin job that typically pays $50K per year for Tillman's mother and give her $150K for it.  

1 hour ago, HenryB said:

Get off your high horse.  Like I said you are free to make heroes of Martin, Pastner, Calipari, Brown or anyone else you like.  This thread began because people who share a different view of Martin and the sleazy recruitment of Michael Porter were attacked.  Martin lovers can't tolerate anyone pointing out facts about the recruitment.  Martin has been put on a pedestal and made out to be superior to others - he is not.  The Porter family was paid off...period.  Would MIchael Porter be at Mizzou today without the payoff?  Was Michael Porter SR hired because of his ability to recruit other athletes?  The answer is an unequivocal....NO.  There is a huge difference between hiring a basketball coach who is a good recruiter than hiring a father for the sole purpose of bringing in his sons.  What is going on in Columbia, Mo is rotten but if you enjoy the stench, then breathe in deeply...but don't tell others that we have to also.

You need some help Henry B Coach314 is having a respectful dialog with you yet you through out snarky phrases from you such as, get off, "your high horse", "sleazy recruitment" which you have no proof of, "Martin can't tolerate", which you have no proof of, "the Porter family was paid off period" no proof no discussion, "Martin lovers can't tolerate, hero's like Martin, Pastner" etc...

I hope the snarky dialog makes you feel better but it does not prove anything other than you are overly hyper sensitive to this subject.

Your words say, this thread began because people who share a different view of Martin.  What you should have said if you like coach Martin I will be unable to have a decent discussion with you.

Coach314 is always polite and does not post that much but when he does I learn something from him like I do with Pistol, 3 star, West Coast, Taja, Old guy, Doctor B, etc... sorry for the guys I missed but you know who you are out there.

I am the poster that said coach Martin graduated  from Purdue, had a successful college basketball career, played in the NBA, and took Tennessee to the sweet 16 so why wouldn't local kids want to play for him?

I also think coach Martin is a college basketball coach not a saint.

If coach Ford could have hired coach Porter and got his son's to play for SLU I would have loved it.

Coach Ford and coach Martin are going to build to programs and bring back big time college basketball back to the region and I find that exciting.

I prefer having the discussion of Missouri and SLU playing when both programs are doing well.

So Porter graduates UNO in 1989 and starts playing for Athletes in Actions where he meets future wife and LoRo.   Then just before his daughters come of college age, his sister-in-law hires him to be DOB at Mizzou's women's program where he eventually becomes an assistant coach.  LoRo keeps in touch, going so far as to serve at Junior's godfather, and then happens to hire him to a very lucrative assistant coach job with no real experience to speak of other than his daughters, sister-in-law and women in Columbia just as the godson comes of college age.  Never mind he's the top prospect in the country.  There's some damn luck there.

So with connections in New Orleans, and Ohio and mid-Missouri, the guy up and leaves for the great northwest just as said sons are coming of age.  LoRo gets canned and Martin is hit with a gift horse in the chops never mind mom doesn't like the great northwest and wants to move home. 

I'm not suggesting anything wrong here just a whole bunch of fortuitous circumstances.  He'll be there for a while, given the pipeline of kids yet to come.  Salary and think of all the free education. 

3 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

So Porter graduates UNO in 1989 and starts playing for Athletes in Actions where he meets future wife and LoRo.   Then just before his daughters come of college age, his sister-in-law hires him to be DOB at Mizzou's women's program where he eventually becomes an assistant coach.  LoRo keeps in touch, going so far as to serve at Junior's godfather, and then happens to hire him to a very lucrative assistant coach job with no real experience to speak of other than his daughters, sister-in-law and women in Columbia just as the godson comes of college age.  Never mind he's the top prospect in the country.  There's some damn luck there.

So with connections in New Orleans, and Ohio and mid-Missouri, the guy up and leaves for the great northwest just as said sons are coming of age.  LoRo gets canned and Martin is hit with a gift horse in the chops never mind mom doesn't like the great northwest and wants to move home. 

I'm not suggesting anything wrong here just a whole bunch of fortuitous circumstances.  He'll be there for a while, given the pipeline of kids yet to come.  Salary and think of all the free education. 

It's good work if you can get it. 

1 minute ago, Taj79 said:

I don't know if you're being facetious or not, but my guess is that the timeline is somewhat reversed.  It's probably Martin calls up Porter - Porter says yes - Romar gets canned.

6 minutes ago, CBFan said:

You need some help Henry B Coach314 is having a respectful dialog with you yet you through out snarky phrases from you such as, get off, "your high horse", "sleazy recruitment" which you have no proof of, "Martin can't tolerate", which you have no proof of, "the Porter family was paid off period" no proof no discussion, "Martin lovers can't tolerate, hero's like Martin, Pastner" etc...

I hope the snarky dialog makes you feel better but it does not prove anything other than you are overly hyper sensitive to this subject.

Your words say, this thread began because people who share a different view of Martin.  What you should have said if you like coach Martin I will be unable to have a decent discussion with you.

Coach314 is always polite and does not post that much but when he does I learn something from him like I do with Pistol, 3 star, West Coast, Taja, Old guy, Doctor B, etc... sorry for the guys I missed but you know who you are out there.

I am the poster that said coach Martin graduated  from Purdue, had a successful college basketball career, played in the NBA, and took Tennessee to the sweet 16 so why wouldn't local kids want to play for him?

I also think coach Martin is a college basketball coach not a saint.

If coach Ford could have hired coach Porter and got his son's to play for SLU I would have loved it.

Coach Ford and coach Martin are going to build to programs and bring back big time college basketball back to the region and I find that exciting.

I prefer having the discussion of Missouri and SLU playing when both programs are doing well.

LOL...sure glad you aren't "snarky".  

2 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Can't wait for your ESPN 30 for 30 on the topic.  You guys question his virtue and integrity.  We get it already lol. You wouldn't want Martin, Calipari, Self, Pastner, or Larry Brown coaching your program. Or for that matter Jim Harbaugh if SLU had a football program because these coaches have done this as well.  Remember when hiring AAU coaches to college staffs were frowned upon for the same reason...they were considered payoffs as well?  

Question for the SLU faithful.  Can someone give me a projected starting 5 with the players we know will be there next year.  Thanks

Happy Friday Coach314 here is my opinion of next seasons starters.

Jordan Goodwin Point guard, that looks so good writing that.

Davell Roby plays the shooting guard and has a wonderful and well deserved senior season.

Janlen Johnson plays the small forward position

Hasahn French plays the power forward position

Javon Bess plays another power forward position.

The only downside of this group is that 3 of the 5 do not shoot free throws well.

I am curios who you think would be the starting five?

Just now, HenryB said:

LOL...sure glad you aren't "snarky".  

LOL is all you got?

1 minute ago, CBFan said:

Davell Roby plays the shooting guard and has a wonderful and well deserved senior season.

The only downside of this group is that 3 of the 5 do not shoot free throws well.

good topic, so it should be in its own thread. Not lost in MUTGR's trolling.

1 minute ago, ACE said:

good topic, so it should be in its own thread. Not lost in MUTGR's trolling.

Sorry Ace I was just answering Coach314 but I will make sure to move it to the correct thread, happy Friday

14 minutes ago, CBFan said:

So you have Bess in there over Henriquez?  Not sure Goodwin starts Game 1 at Point, but time will tell.

14 minutes ago, CBFan said:

You do realize that by most informed testimonies say henriquez is far and away from the best player on the team.  

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So you have Bess in there over Henriquez?  Not sure Goodwin starts Game 1 at Point, but time will tell.

And where is Hines? (No idea how to post in blue from my phone). 

Sshoe ---- I don't know the timeline so if not facetious, at least not completely up to speed.  I actually agree with MUTGR's line -- great job if you can get it.  What's fact and what is fiction I don't know.  Or at this point care.  So I'm out.

52 minutes ago, SShoe said:

OK, so this is clearly a situation where he's not some top flight assistant and deserves the salary he is getting.  He has children who are awesome at basketball. Talk about a rule that needs to be changed.  Maybe SLU could find some mid-level admin job that typically pays $50K per year for Tillman's mother and give her $150K for it.  

What's funny is I heard this exact scenario is playing out with Tilmon, mom, and MU 

I have the starting 5 as:

Goodwin

Henriquez

Roby

Bess

Foreman 

I think French could be interchangeable with any of the wings depending on how big the opposing team is. Also, no idea if Foreman is better than French.. because he'd be a real nice player if he was, based on what we've seen from French. Might have to go hunting for some film on him. 

Regardless of the starting 5, I'm going to feel pretty solid when we go to our bench between those 6 guys and Johnson/Bishop