JT requests Release from NLI

25 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I think raising a family of blue chip recruits means you know a thing or two about developing players.  I would have heartily supported the hiring of Rusty Lisch as an assistant coach. 

Somebody hire LaVar Ball!

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

He did not get the women's job because of his daughters. He got the job in 2010 when his oldest daughters were in 7th and 6th grade, they didn't enroll at Mizzou until 2015 and 2016, five years after he was already on the staff. And actually before Cuonzo Martin and even Lorenzo Romar weren't the first to offer Porter a jon on the Mizzou Mens staff, Kim Anderson offered the position and Porter declined because he wasn't sure Anderson would be retained.

Are you seriously trying to say that Porter being offered to move over to the men at Mizzou, moving Washington and being offered elsewhere (Kentucky!) had nothing to do with Jr? Really?

How many women's assistant coaches move to the men's game, let alone to a power 5 team? I'd be surprised if you could come up with 5 names (to the men's D1 game, let alone a quality program). How many move over and get a serious salary and other perks, which have been said (in newspaper articles) to include a  country club membership, courtesy car, four season tickets to men’s and women’s basketball, and access to all other home sporting events. Come on Stl Hoops, you tell Roy not to be naive in regards to recruiting - but you can't be blind on this hiring...

As to his initial move to Mizzou as an assistant on the women's team - all I can say is that word was (at the time of the hiring) that it was in view of the family pipeline (and the one doing the hiring was his sister-in-law). But then again, I am sure the transition from Christian rapper to high end D1 women's basketball coach with little in between is also commonplace!

5 minutes ago, William Iken said:

Are you seriously trying to say that Porter being offered to move over to the men at Mizzou, moving Washington and being offered elsewhere (Kentucky!) had nothing to do with Jr? Really?

How many women's assistant coaches move to the men's game, let alone to a power 5 team? I'd be surprised if you could come up with 5 names (to the men's D1 game, let alone a quality program). How many move over and get a serious salary and other perks, which have been said (in newspaper articles) to include a  country club membership, courtesy car, four season tickets to men’s and women’s basketball, and access to all other home sporting events. Come on Stl Hoops, you tell Roy not to be naive in regards to recruiting - but you can't be blind on this hiring...

As to his initial move to Mizzou as an assistant on the women's team - all I can say is that word was (at the time of the hiring) that it was in view of the family pipeline.

William makes excellent points.  It is a blatant payoff....and everyone knows it.  If you are a Cuonzo Martin fan...fine...but spare us lectures on his virtue.  

22 minutes ago, HenryB said:

William makes excellent points.  It is a blatant payoff....and everyone knows it.  If you are a Cuonzo Martin fan...fine...but spare us lectures on his virtue.  

Can't wait for your ESPN 30 for 30 on the topic.  You guys question his virtue and integrity.  We get it already lol. You wouldn't want Martin, Calipari, Self, Pastner, or Larry Brown coaching your program. Or for that matter Jim Harbaugh if SLU had a football program because these coaches have done this as well.  Remember when hiring AAU coaches to college staffs were frowned upon for the same reason...they were considered payoffs as well?  

Question for the SLU faithful.  Can someone give me a projected starting 5 with the players we know will be there next year.  Thanks

1 hour ago, HenryB said:

I'll delete it because I'm sure it was BS, but be careful running down other team's coaches.  

Just now, Coach314 said:

Can't wait for your ESPN 30 for 30 on the topic.  You guys question his virtue and integrity.  We get it already lol. You wouldn't want Martin, Calipari, Self, Pastner, or Larry Brown coaching your program. Or for that matter Jim Harbaugh if SLU had a football program because these coaches have done this as well.  Remember when hiring AAU coaches to college staffs were frowned upon for the same reason...they were considered payoffs as well?  

Question for the SLU faithful.  Can someone give me a projected starting 5 with the players we know will be there next year.  Thanks

Get off your high horse.  Like I said you are free to make heroes of Martin, Pastner, Calipari, Brown or anyone else you like.  This thread began because people who share a different view of Martin and the sleazy recruitment of Michael Porter were attacked.  Martin lovers can't tolerate anyone pointing out facts about the recruitment.  Martin has been put on a pedestal and made out to be superior to others - he is not.  The Porter family was paid off...period.  Would MIchael Porter be at Mizzou today without the payoff?  Was Michael Porter SR hired because of his ability to recruit other athletes?  The answer is an unequivocal....NO.  There is a huge difference between hiring a basketball coach who is a good recruiter than hiring a father for the sole purpose of bringing in his sons.  What is going on in Columbia, Mo is rotten but if you enjoy the stench, then breathe in deeply...but don't tell others that we have to also.

31 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

Deleted at MUTGR request 

It amazes that others on this board have defended you...have said that you aren't a troll....that you have been a good poster, etc.  I hope they look long and hard at what you just posted.   The slop you just posted has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion of Cuonzo Martin and the Michael Porter recruitment.  Do you think the garbage you just posted is evidence that Cuonzo Martin is a virtuous man?  

Edited by HenryB
MUTGR request

Wow ..... I don't usually attack on the MU front but MUTGR ... really?  An old article taking the word of a guy who had severe problems and had some lawyers file a somewhat likely lawsuite that could be the very definition of "frivolous?" This guy was charged with p*ssing out an open window of a moving car, suspended for dope use, was a "difficult" teammate with guys like Marcus Smart and was last seen leaving John Lucas' rehab program in Houston "still in denial."  He then transferred to top flight Oakland University (launching point for all pro superstars) and was last seen tallying nine minutes in an NIT loss to Richmond.  Oklahoma State (never mind Ford) did not respond to the lawsuit calling it baseless. 

I guess the point is baseless .... if I can say that about Ford in this you can say what you want to counter on Martin.  So be it.  To each his own. 

Lots of ways to skirt the rules.  The real issue to me is the NCAA is useless so why even pretend.

1 minute ago, Taj79 said:

Wow ..... I don't usually attack on the MU front but MUTGR ... really?  An old article taking the word of a guy who had severe problems and had some lawyers file a somewhat likely lawsuite that could be the very definition of "frivolous?" This guy was charged with p*ssing out an open window of a moving car, suspended for dope use, was a "difficult" teammate with guys like Marcus Smart and was last seen leaving John Lucas' rehab program in Houston "still in denial."  He then transferred to top flight Oakland University (launching point for all pro superstars) and was last seen tallying nine minutes in an NIT loss to Richmond.  Oklahoma State (never mind Ford) did not respond to the lawsuit calling it baseless. 

I guess the point is baseless .... if I can say that about Ford in this you can say what you want to counter on Martin.  So be it.  To each his own. 

Lots of ways to skirt the rules.  The real issue to me is the NCAA is useless so why even pretend.

I deleted it, but some of your friends should be careful about declaring open season on other team's coaches. 

16 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Get off your high horse.  Like I said you are free to make heroes of Martin, Pastner, Calipari, Brown or anyone else you like.  This thread began because people who share a different view of Martin and the sleazy recruitment of Michael Porter were attacked.  Martin lovers can't tolerate anyone pointing out facts about the recruitment.  Martin has been put on a pedestal and made out to be superior to others - he is not.  The Porter family was paid off...period.  Would MIchael Porter be at Mizzou today without the payoff?  Was Michael Porter SR hired because of his ability to recruit other athletes?  The answer is an unequivocal....NO.  There is a huge difference between hiring a basketball coach who is a good recruiter than hiring a father for the sole purpose of bringing in his sons.  What is going on in Columbia, Mo is rotten but if you enjoy the stench, then breathe in deeply...but don't tell others that we have to also.

Lol i tell you what.  I hope you are as consistent in your thoughts with EVERY school.  When i see recruits wardrobes change dramatically and are now riding around in cars...that alarms me a whole lot more.  

10 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Lol i tell you what.  I hope you are as consistent in your thoughts with EVERY school.  When i see recruits wardrobes change dramatically and are now riding around in cars...that alarms me a whole lot more.  

You don't get it.....the only point that critics have made is that Cuonzo Martin is not the virtuous man his supporters continue to portray him as.  I am a lot more alarmed by grown men who defend sleazy behavior than by kids who change their wardrobe.

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I think raising a family of blue chip recruits means you know a thing or two about developing players.  I would have heartily supported the hiring of Rusty Lisch as an assistant coach. 

Let's be real, Porter sr was given a bribe of 1.2 million dollars for his son to play basketball, not to coach. I'm sure if wants to spend his time on the golf course, not a word will be said. Think about it,if the money were given to his son, it would be a scandal of major proportion, but instead it is being diverted through his father. This is definitely a slippery slope we are heading down. I can only imagine the number of parent coaches that we will be seeing in the future. 

5 minutes ago, HenryB said:

You don't get it.....the only point that critics have made is that Cuonzo Martin is not the virtuous man his supporters continue to portray him as.  I am a lot more alarmed by grown men who glorify sleazy behavior than by kids who change their wardrobe.

Lol oh i totally get it.  I might have missed the article you posted with the critics of Coach Martin's hiring practices.  The hiring of fathers is becoming a common practice.  Whether it should be or not is a seperate issue.  If you want to question a man's integrity...fine, have at it. I suggest you focus more on what's going on locally than in Columbia.  

Just now, Coach314 said:

Lol oh i totally get it.  I might have missed the article you posted with the critics of Coach Martin's hiring practices.  The hiring of fathers is becoming a common practice.  Whether it should be or not is a seperate issue.  If you want to question a man's integrity...fine, have at it. I suggest you focus more on what's going on locally than in Columbia.  

What does this mean? 

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

We probably shouldn't compare Martin to coaches that have won national championships and have been to multiple final fours.

Obviously i wasn't comparing coaching history.  The topic was coaches hiring fathers.  All of those coaches have done it.  

Just now, 3star_recruit said:

Absolutely the hiring of Martin is a payoff. But it's an absolutely legal payoff. The problem is with the NCAA who sets the rules, not with Cuonzo Martin. They could stop the hiring of parent coaches and AAU coaches tomorrow if they wanted to. They don't want to.

No one questions that it is legal...of course Martin can do it if he chooses.  The point is that people  don't want to keep hearing how virtuous Martin is when he chooses to do it.  Being legal doesn't mean it is ethical.

1 minute ago, Coach314 said:

Obviously i wasn't comparing coaching history.  The topic was coaches hiring fathers.  All of those coaches have done it.  

And all of those coaches have been called unethical for their doing it.  Hell, tigerboard cant make make it two days without thread attacking Self.  It is what fan bases do.

Just now, brianstl said:

And all of those coaches have been called unethical for their doing it.  Hell, tigerboard cant make make it two days without thread attacking Self.  It is what fan bases do.

Martin could bring Mother Theresa back from the dead and I am still going to talk smack on him. I don't care if he has impeccable character or not. 

Also, he's a D1 basketball coach. I don't think he's a saint.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

2 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Martin could bring Mother Theresa back from the dead and I am still going to talk smack on him. I don't care if he has impeccable character or not. 

Also, he's a D1 basketball coach. I don't think he's a saint.

Lol understood 

1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

I dont know Martin and dont really care about if he has the greatest integrity ever or not..... it is simply a fact though that Martin hired Porter at $1M+ a year for his kid.  Porter is not paid $1M+ for his head coaching ability or the man would be a head coach somewhere.