JT requests Release from NLI

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I should be able to talk smack on all things Mizzou freely and uninterrupted on this board. What the hell.

Lol. Yes. We aren't all being super serious when we bag on Martin and MU, that's just what you do to your "rivals", especially when you're on... Billikens.com. Also wasn't that serious with the post limit comment, though it would definitely be entertaining to see these folks try and fit all their Cuonzo humping into a more confined space 

OT, this has little to do with Mizzou's or our basketball program. I just wanted to point out that enrollment in a school does not go down by 25% because of trouble in any athletic department, enrollment goes down for a whole number of other reasons. These include academic standards, problems within the school's administration, feeling by the parents that their kids may not be in a safe or productive atmosphere there, and any number of other issues. Mizzou is in trouble, fixing the basketball program is not going to fix the school, and until it is fixed the enrollment will continue down.

3 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Lol.  Speaking of changing the facts I am not a Mizzou fan.  I will watch them this year because i like Porter Jr and have coached against him in the past.  I have known Goodwin since 7th grade...Pickett since 4th.  I am a fan of these young men.  Many in the 2017 Class i have coached throughout the years.  I am proud of all them.  Thank you @CBFan...for the kind words.  I spoke on Coach Martin's behalf because the things we KNOW to be true are common practices.  People are in here trying to tell a grown man where and when he can visit his sister lol.  ESL has a really talented sophomore that i am sure Martin was there to recruit. @3star_recruit made a good point because i know when Weber's job status was in question after the AD took another job Stockard became aware of certain schools that would be interested if he asked for his release.  But hey what do i know...i am apparently just a Mizzou fan here to stir it up lol.

What do you think ours chances are of being able to land Pickett?

5 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Lol.  Speaking of changing the facts I am not a Mizzou fan.  I will watch them this year because i like Porter Jr and have coached against him in the past.  I have known Goodwin since 7th grade...Pickett since 4th.  I am a fan of these young men.  Many in the 2017 Class i have coached throughout the years.  I am proud of all them.  Thank you @CBFan...for the kind words.  I spoke on Coach Martin's behalf because the things we KNOW to be true are common practices.  People are in here trying to tell a grown man where and when he can visit his sister lol.  ESL has a really talented sophomore that i am sure Martin was there to recruit. @3star_recruit made a good point because i know when Weber's job status was in question after the AD took another job Stockard became aware of certain schools that would be interested if he asked for his release.  But hey what do i know...i am apparently just a Mizzou fan here to stir it up lol.

Thanks for posting, Coach.  Don't let the few hypocrites on this board ruin your image of SLU fans.  The fact is college recruiting is an unavoidably distasteful process.  It can't be helped.  Some work within the rules and some work outside of the rules.  I've seen no evidence that Cuonzo Martin or Travis Ford operate outside of the rules.  Doesn't mean they don't.  Just means that I haven't seen evidence of it.  I typically don't call someone unscrupulous unless I have proof.

Hiring a guy who is already a college basketball coach in the hopes that his sons will play for your team is not outside of the rules.  If doing so would have brought Mr. Porter's sons to SLU, I would have been fully behind the idea.  I don't think having that thought makes me unscrupulous, but maybe other guys on this board will tell me that's not the case.

36 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Thanks for posting, Coach.  Don't let the few hypocrites on this board ruin your image of SLU fans.  The fact is college recruiting is an unavoidably distasteful process.  It can't be helped.  Some work within the rules and some work outside of the rules.  I've seen no evidence that Cuonzo Martin or Travis Ford operate outside of the rules.  Doesn't mean they don't.  Just means that I haven't seen evidence of it.  I typically don't call someone unscrupulous unless I have proof.

Hiring a guy who is already a college basketball coach in the hopes that his sons will play for your team is not outside of the rules.  If doing so would have brought Mr. Porter's sons to SLU, I would have been fully behind the idea.  I don't think having that thought makes me unscrupulous, but maybe other guys on this board will tell me that's not the case.

+1

18 hours ago, MUTGR said:

This isn't a remedial class. 

I'm sorry, I didn't get my diploma from a farming school.  Please explain...Actually you can't so don't bother.  

Tillmon isn't even KU's top target anyway now so I hope he goes to SLU.  Mizzou has a long history of getting beat by KU so they are used to it by now.  I want SLU to show the "Slavers" up this time.

6 hours ago, JMM28 said:

School's enrollment is down 25%. Fans concerned with failing basketball team. Sad! 

Curious where you got that figure? This January 2017 article in the student paper says the following:

"MU experienced a drop in freshman enrollment of 21.1 percent, or 1,605 students, between fall 2015 and fall 2016, according to the Fall 2016 Enrollment Summary Report. MU’s total undergraduate enrollment decreased by 6.9 percent, or 1,914 students."

http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2017/1/25/mu-colleges-ramp-recruitment-wake-enrollment-decli/

Mizzou was at an all time high enrollment just a few years ago.  MIzzou will be fine. 

3 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

What do you think ours chances are of being able to land Pickett

3 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

I think it's a good fit.  Pickett would be another high motor guy like Goodwin and French.  I know his parents originally preferred he stay close to home but i also believe he wants to go somewhere he can get minutes as well.  Like some of the other posters have said it seems to be a lot of wing players on the roster already with one more to come next year in Thatch.  

Has anyone heard anything about SLU being interested in Marshawn Blackmon?  He redshirted last year because of injury and is transferring from Eastern Illinois.

12 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I may be in the minority here, but it's unscrupulous to me - dad was "already" a men's college basketball coach only because of the talents of said son. He was a women's basketball coach only bc of two daughters. Other than those connections, he was not a men's or women's college basketball coach. Paying over $300k to get a kid to come to the university (perhaps for only a year or two), or maybe two brothers, is distasteful to me. If dad remains a basketball coach for 10+ years following the departure of his kids from the team (at any D1 school), I'll happily eat my words.

He did not get the women's job because of his daughters. He got the job in 2010 when his oldest daughters were in 7th and 6th grade, they didn't enroll at Mizzou until 2015 and 2016, five years after he was already on the staff. And actually before Cuonzo Martin and even Lorenzo Romar weren't the first to offer Porter a jon on the Mizzou Mens staff, Kim Anderson offered the position and Porter declined because he wasn't sure Anderson would be retained.

4 hours ago, William Iken said:

I may be in the minority here, but it's unscrupulous to me - dad was "already" a men's college basketball coach only because of the talents of said son. He was a women's basketball coach only bc of two daughters. Other than those connections, he was not a men's or women's college basketball coach.

I think raising a family of blue chip recruits means you know a thing or two about developing players.  I would have heartily supported the hiring of Rusty Lisch as an assistant coach.