JT requests Release from NLI

3 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Yes. We get that. It isn't rocket science. It's also really trivial and you could make arguments that MC, DR, and RA should all be starters, but no one really put that much thought into it because it is completely subjective and means absolutely nothing

Wow. No way. 

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

Yes. We get that. It isn't rocket science. It's also really trivial and you could make arguments that MC, DR, and RA should all be starters, but no one really put that much thought into it because it is completely subjective and means absolutely nothing

No the person who made this did it for every state and region. And it was based on stats and positions. Case in point was we will not have a year next year like the last by having such low stat guys. Next year we will be taken very seriously. 

9 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

No the person who made this did it for every state and region. And it was based on stats and positions. Case in point was we will not have a year next year like the last by having such low stat guys. Next year we will be taken very seriously. 

Thanks fella

50 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Troll towski guy doesn't annoy me as much as you

Just now, Box and Won said:

Following Mizzou is usually like watching a slow-motion train wreck.

It is really sad. I have friends that are big Mizzou basketball fans without being douches.  They are so pumped right now.  They can't even see what is probably coming around the corner.  They will be crushed and bitter for years when this all falls apart.  I fell for them.

Hell, I don't even hate Mizzou.  I am actually a fan of their football program. It is just they have so many awful basketball fans and the basketball program is so predictable.  That program is like a drug addict.  Looking to get that quick high and to hell with the consequences that follow.

There was an interesting comment from the Gabe Power Missouri guy on Frank's show yesterday.  Somewhat paraphrasing, Missouri is evaluating the GPA's of the guys they are tossing off the team.  Something like if more than 2 players with GPA's under 2.65 aren't coming back (thrown off the bus) Missouri could be below the NCAA magic line and ineligible for the NCAA tourney in Porter's one season.  They apparently have people actually studying this to determine who stays and who goes.

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

There was an interesting comment from the Gabe Power Missouri guy on Frank's show yesterday.  Somewhat paraphrasing, Missouri is evaluating the GPA's of the guys they are tossing off the team.  Something like if more than 2 players with GPA's under 2.65 aren't coming back (thrown off the bus) Missouri could be below the NCAA magic line and ineligible for the NCAA tourney in Porter's one season.  They apparently have people actually studying this to determine who stays and who goes.

It was also pretty funny when Gabe mentioned he did a story about teams that have signed two of top 9 guys in country in last 10 years and the only team that did it and wasn't elite team on the floor was the Cuonzo Martin coached Cal team.  

20 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This is just a godawful state for college basketball to be in.  Quick, kick the kids who actually have decent grades off the team so we can bring in more idiots so we don't ruin our one chance for greatness with the guy we flat out paid to double-cross his godfather and come play here.  Oh and we tampered with Tilmon, too.  Flat out.

SPUMAC's finest hour, really.

17 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

It was also pretty funny when Gabe mentioned he did a story about teams that have signed two of top 9 guys in country in last 10 years and the only team that did it and wasn't elite team on the floor was the Cuonzo Martin coached Cal team.  

6 minutes ago, jimbofive said:

This is just a godawful state for college basketball to be in.  Quick, kick the kids who actually have decent grades off the team so we can bring in more idiots so we don't ruin our one chance for greatness with the guy we flat out paid to double-cross his godfather and come play here.  Oh and we tampered with Tilmon, too.  Flat out.

You know, I'm not sure why the Gaber brought this stuff up with Frank.  It certainly doesn't paint a very good picture of Mother Mizzou.  You would think he would want a more positive spin.

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You know, I'm not sure why the Gaber brought this stuff up with Frank.  It certainly doesn't paint a very good picture of Mother Mizzou.  You would think he would want a more positive spin.

Gabe is such a fan boy, he probably thinks it makes the people running the program look like geniuses. 

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Gabe is such a fan boy, he probably thinks it makes the people running the program look like geniuses. 

It sounded like he was literally crying on the radio when Painter turned them down.

31 minutes ago, jimbofive said:

+100000

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I remember a few years ago posting on this board about how flawed the APR was and the unintended consequences it would lead to, including this one.

Basically good students are kicked off the team instead of bad ones. It's so ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, SShoe said:

This is just a godawful state for college basketball to be in.

Sadly:  I'm afraid most people actually do not know the half of it.  I'll spare the details.  But APR is cosmetic, IMHO...

For now: and beyond the seductive powers of 7-foot reach and 40 inch vertical leap, and so forth:  I still have not seen a single person mention the very obvious fact (from an educator's point of view) that there may be ABUNDANT learning and behavioral reasons why we would NOT want certain recruits, despite their ability to rebound or block shots.  Trust me when I say;  there are plenty of head cases out there, both among players and nowadays, maybe even especially among their weirdly obsessed parents, weird even by the high standards of today's helicopter parenting.  Am I truly the first person to notice that these 4- and 5- star recruits are actually living and breathing human beings, with pulses and everything -- and that chemistry pollution via knuckleheadism can wreck a program or at least a team???  We have been hypnotized by athletic prowess.  But SLU (supposedly) is about the "whole person."  Go figure...

45 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Sadly:  I'm afraid most people actually do not know the half of it.  I'll spare the details.  But APR is cosmetic, IMHO...

I've been on a personal jihad against the APR since shortly after it came out and I learned the rules. Basically the NCAA did a regression analysis that shows that if people stay at a program and get good grades they are more likely to graduate (duh!). Then they come up with these rules that punish, sometimes severely, schools that have transfers, particularly if they have bad grades.

What they've done is create a system where schools are more concerned with keeping the APR up then actually graduating kids. Significant unintended consequences of the APR include:

- the scenario that is playing out with Mizzou where good grades kids are more likely to be booted from the program than bad grade kids

- schools having significant incentive to give kids false grades that are too high or put them in easy classes that will deliver good grades (see North Carolina). That risk has always been there but was limited to the eligibility of one player. Now, there is potential that one player's grades will affect a team's eligibility for the NCAA tournament!

The APR sucks and the fact the media reports APR stats as some sort of validation of the academic fortitude of a given university is beyond appalling.     

9 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I've been on a personal jihad against the APR since shortly after it came out and I learned the rules. Basically the NCAA did a regression analysis that shows that if people stay at a program and get good grades they are more likely to graduate (duh!). Then they come up with these rules that punish, sometimes severely, schools that have transfers, particularly if they have bad grades.

What they've done is create a system where schools are more concerned with keeping the APR up then actually graduating kids. Significant unintended consequences of the APR include:

- the scenario that is playing out with Mizzou where good grades kids are more likely to be booted from the program than bad grade kids

- schools having significant incentive to give kids false grades that are too high or put them in easy classes that will deliver good grades (see North Carolina). That risk has always been there but was limited to the eligibility of one player. Now, there is potential that one player's grades will affect a team's eligibility for the NCAA tournament!

The APR sucks and the fact the media reports APR stats as some sort of validation of the academic fortitude of a given university is beyond appalling.     

+1. The APR, 5/8 rule going away, and the one and done stuff combined have hurt teams in the middle from the low end P5 schools to the mid majors. 

21 minutes ago, kshoe said:

This! I love hearing how high the APRs are for programs like Kentucky and Kansas.

3 hours ago, DoctorB said:

For now: and beyond the seductive powers of 7-foot reach and 40 inch vertical leap, and so forth:  I still have not seen a single person mention the very obvious fact (from an educator's point of view) that there may be ABUNDANT learning and behavioral reasons why we would NOT want certain recruits, despite their ability to rebound or block shots.  Trust me when I say;  there are plenty of head cases out there, both among players and nowadays, maybe even especially among their weirdly obsessed parents, weird even by the high standards of today's helicopter parenting.  Am I truly the first person to notice that these 4- and 5- star recruits are actually living and breathing human beings, with pulses and everything -- and that chemistry pollution via knuckleheadism can wreck a program or at least a team???  We have been hypnotized by athletic prowess.  But SLU (supposedly) is about the "whole person."  Go figure...

This is something that doesn't get said enough.  We need to remember it when discussing recruits.  If Ford decides not to go after someone, it may just be that he knows something about the kids makeup that we don't.  French, Goodwin, and Thatch all seem to be solid citizens and hard workers.  Not sure on Gordon yet, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.  I think we need to trust Ford's recruiting choices in the future.  Let's not take on a kid just because of his numbers in high school that turns out to be a problem for us.