Tatum Lottery pick?

almaman

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-please elaborate, what I remember is that he donated some money and the team changed the name to BBE, I am missing the significance

Of course, it's not like he is feeding the homeless.  If you aren't connected to the local AAU circuit, then it likely is no big deal to you.  To those connected, it is a big deal.  He's done more than I have for local hoop action.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it depends where you live.  Here in the Bay Area all Warriors games not on the big networks are carried on CSN in high def with a superb announcing crew and great pre and post game analysts.  A lot of non hoops fans watch because of the quality of the home team and the broadcasts.

I will always be a Billiken, so I continue to look here, but the few games I have seen broadcast look like high school in comparison.  I am as optomistic as all of you that the future will be better with Coach Ford.  Has the new president of SLU made any difference in support?

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Of course, it's not like he is feeding the homeless.  If you aren't connected to the local AAU circuit, then it likely is no big deal to you.  To those connected, it is a big deal.  He's done more than I have for local hoop action.

-my only connection to the AAU circuit is I have been to a couple tourneys and I like when we get good players from it, but you are being very vague on Beal's significance, I would like to know more so I don't get chopped by the CCP alumns I know when I say something on this topic

20 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-my only connection to the AAU circuit is I have been to a couple tourneys and I like when we get good players from it, but you are being very vague on Beal's significance, I would like to know more so I don't get chopped by the CCP alumns I know when I say something on this topic

Chaminade alum here. Watch yourself, Cowboy. TheChosenOne and I have been known to break kneecaps. HoosierPal does not speak for us. Chaminade has a strict no-Hoosier policy. Some call it a discriminatory admissions practice, but it's worth it.

In terms of his "significance" to the program or to local hoops in general, that's hard to say. He's not the first NBA player to attach his name to an AAU program - Chris Paul, LeBron James, and others have done so already - but presumably there's a degree of financial and time commitment to the program. Paul has gone to tournaments with Team CP3, helps coach, and seems to pay for a lot of gear and travel. LeBron didn't seem to put much time into it but backed them financially; I believe he folded King James in late 2016, or at least removed his name as the primary benefactor. There's really no way of telling how much Beal does for BBE, especially this early on. It's only been a few months.

He runs camps at Chaminade every offseason. He's been a mentor for Tatum, and I would expect that other players have gotten some guidance from him, too. I'm sure there's plenty more I'm not aware of. In general, though, an active NBA player from a given city is a big deal to younger players from that city. Older guys like us have seen NBA players from St. Louis come and go, but he's a big deal to kids right now.

56 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Chaminade alum here. Watch yourself, Cowboy. TheChosenOne and I have been known to break kneecaps. HoosierPal does not speak for us. Chaminade has a strict no-Hoosier policy. Some call it a discriminatory admissions practice, but it's worth it.

In terms of his "significance" to the program or to local hoops in general, that's hard to say. He's not the first NBA player to attach his name to an AAU program - Chris Paul, LeBron James, and others have done so already - but presumably there's a degree of financial and time commitment to the program. Paul has gone to tournaments with Team CP3, helps coach, and seems to pay for a lot of gear and travel. LeBron didn't seem to put much time into it but backed them financially; I believe he folded King James in late 2016, or at least removed his name as the primary benefactor. There's really no way of telling how much Beal does for BBE, especially this early on. It's only been a few months.

He runs camps at Chaminade every offseason. He's been a mentor for Tatum, and I would expect that other players have gotten some guidance from him, too. I'm sure there's plenty more I'm not aware of. In general, though, an active NBA player from a given city is a big deal to younger players from that city. Older guys like us have seen NBA players from St. Louis come and go, but he's a big deal to kids right now.

-thanks, I don't know if I know either of you, doubt it, but I like walking so I will tread lightly 

-for Beal, if he is doing great things for BBE, wonderful, I am a HUGE fan of folks being generous and not wanting publicity for it

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Ha, got under your radar this fall.  I had my soccer crew there for a match.  Maybe you should build a wall?  I agree that Mr. Beal is an asset to STL, even though he left town for Florida.

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 5:36 PM, Cowboy said:

-thanks, I don't know if I know either of you, doubt it, but I like walking so I will tread lightly 

-for Beal, if he is doing great things for BBE, wonderful, I am a HUGE fan of folks being generous and not wanting publicity for it

I mean "not wanting publicity" is generous - he did put his name on the program. I would be really curious to see the extent of his support for the program, but it's impossible to find out.

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 7:06 PM, HoosierPal said:

Ha, got under your radar this fall.  I had my soccer crew there for a match.  Maybe you should build a wall?  I agree that Mr. Beal is an asset to STL, even though he left town for Florida.

Even though I'd always love to see the best talent staying home to play for SLU, I don't begrudge guys going off to do what's best for them. It's odd that two Chaminade players 10 years apart both went to Florida and eventually the NBA. It seems like CCP's basketball alums overall have done a good job of finding the best fit for them; this year, of the four that were D-I freshmen, three were named to their all-conference rookie teams and  two played in the NCAA Tournament. Tatum was going to be fine anywhere, but seeing the other three succeed is pretty cool.

I've started watching a lot of heat games because of Willie; their rise from 11-30 to playoff contender has been amazing, but they're blowing it right now (they need dion waiters back badly).  Willie is having a great year and he's making himself some serious money.  His per 48 minute stats are fantastic.

-I don't know and am not taking the time to look for Duke's academic calendar to see if spring break, but my gosh it couldn't be the case that Tatum is in StL, he is done attending classes and Duke, with their annual number of players going pro before graduation, will somehow still have an APR that allows them into the tourney each season - I am not in a fish market but can catch a whiff

1 minute ago, Cowboy said:

-I don't know and am not taking the time to look for Duke's academic calendar to see if spring break, but my gosh it couldn't be the case that Tatum is in StL, he is done attending classes and Duke, with their annual number of players going pro before graduation, will somehow still have an APR that allows them into the tourney each season - I am not in a fish market but can catch a whiff

He was at PBR with a crew of like 2 or 3 guys. Bolden is deciding whether or not to transfer or not

1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

Tatum, a 19 year college student who goes to a school in North Carolina, was hanging out at PBR on a Sunday evening? Guess its possible isn't going to anymore classes if he knows he's in the NBA next year.

There is no better way to prepare for the NBA lifestyle and demands than to ride the bull at PBR

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Tatum, a 19 year college student who goes to a school in North Carolina, was hanging out at PBR on a Sunday evening? Guess its possible isn't going to anymore classes if he knows he's in the NBA next year.

uncle jack, Please call the NCAA and Report this infraction!

1 minute ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Actually didn't recognize him until I saw a bunch of people getting pictures. Hard not to notice a 6'8 player in a room. He was really just hanging back letting drunk Cards fans come up to him. I am also wondering why Duke has an almost perfect APR

You just have to be on track with your class to graduate.  Tatum hasn't dropped out of school.  He came home for the weekend and was back at Duke today.

The APR has exceptions for players in good standing academically who are leaving early to seek a professional sports career, and transfers in good standing. I'm not totally sure about the cut-off date for "good standing" - midterms, end of semester, when player declares pro intent, or when exactly that date is.

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

The APR has exceptions for players in good standing academically who are leaving early to seek a professional sports career, and transfers in good standing. I'm not totally sure about the cut-off date for "good standing" - midterms, end of semester, when player declares pro intent, or when exactly that date is.

pretty sure they just have to get through that first semester in good standings.   what a farce.