Voters could bring the MLS to St. Louis April 4th

bk18

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

The Boeing corporate headquarters have never been here.  There are plenty of defense contractors without there corporate HQ in the DC area.   Interco want out of business.  Kellwood got new ownership and is headquartered in New York.  

The point is that both the county and the city have took on the chin when it comes to companies being bought out or moving their corporate headquarters.

I never said Boeing was headquartered here - I said the defense part of their business is headquartered here and yes I know they have offices in DC also.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, WestCoastBilliken said:

Why do you think that investors 'insist' that they move to CA? Just because? lol

Companies, especially high paying finance and tech jobs, cannot get the best talent in a place like Missouri.  Your google engineers and your front office finance guys DO NOT want to move to Missouri and will work for another tech or finance firm in CA or NY or Boston, or Singapore or London if the position requires a move to MO. If you want the best talent, want to run in the circles with the deal makers, etc you need to be on the coast.  SF, LA, NY those are global hubs and are companies need to be in global hubs in this now global world.

Tech support, back office finance gigs, sure.... they can put them in Missouri and these are the types of jobs you see mostly staying here or moving back to STL.  

Not true - there is plenty of tech talent in StL.  I would expect you not to know that given where you are from.  My point is there is plenty of tech workers here that you do not have to go to CA simply to find workers.  The investors want them there because they like being able to be close to their investments - I get it but it is not because CA is the only place a tech company prosper.  LOL  

54 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Not true - there is plenty of tech talent in StL.  I would expect you not to know that given where you are from.  My point is there is plenty of tech workers here that you do not have to go to CA simply to find workers.  The investors want them there because they like being able to be close to their investments - I get it but it is not because CA is the only place a tech company prosper.  LOL  

Well no, that is not the only reason for tech companies to move there. You see, there is Silicon Valley, it is a place of HEAVY concentration of techies and everyone moves around changing jobs happily and talking, also happily, with other techies. It is, in effect, an idea incubator of vast proportions, something the tech companies use to get ahead. There is nothing even vaguely comparable to that almost anywhere else in the world. It is expensive, it is crowded, but it is creative. This is a powerful reason to relocate there if you are a tech company.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Well no, that is not the only reason for tech companies to move there. You see, there is Silicon Valley, it is a place of HEAVY concentration of techies and everyone moves around changing jobs happily and talking, also happily, with other techies. It is, in effect, an idea incubator of vast proportions, something the tech companies use to get ahead. There is nothing even vaguely comparable to that almost anywhere else in the world. It is expensive, it is crowded, but it is creative. This is a powerful reason to relocate there if you are a tech company.

giphy.gif

17 hours ago, WestCoastBilliken said:

Why do you think that investors 'insist' that they move to CA? Just because? lol

Companies, especially high paying finance and tech jobs, cannot get the best talent in a place like Missouri.  Your google engineers and your front office finance guys DO NOT want to move to Missouri and will work for another tech or finance firm in CA or NY or Boston, or Singapore or London if the position requires a move to MO. If you want the best talent, want to run in the circles with the deal makers, etc you need to be on the coast.  SF, LA, NY those are global hubs and are companies need to be in global hubs in this now global world.

Tech support, back office finance gigs, sure.... they can put them in Missouri and these are the types of jobs you see mostly staying here or moving back to STL.  

At one point in the past, the CEO of Monsanto moved his office to Chicago - would anyone have ever said that the company was not still based here - this is the same situation with Boeing defense office.  As far as tech talent - of course there is more in Silicon Valley - I never said there was not.  My point simply was that you do not have to move every tech company to Silicon Valley to be successful - companies can thrive elsewhere, tech talent exists elsewhere - if not a company like Square would not have started in a place like StL.  StL is one of the fastest growing tech areas in the country - I get it context is important here because no one is saying we are as big as Silicon Valley.  I am finished with this topic because some have a myopic view and clearly are not able to see that options exist - by the way the CA economy is so large just by the fact they will dwarf other places.

I am moving to St. Louis this summer in order to be a graduate student at SLU. St. Louis is by far my favorite city in the country, and its funny to me to see the locals own perception of the city. 

It's true that the city has an image problem. This image is largely created by the skewed statistics that the city/county divide produces. People outside of the city don't care to understand the crime statistics within the context of this divide. I also find it strange that St. Louis locals tend to compare the city to Chicago, S.F, L.A, etc., and then feel down on the city when it doesn't match up to those cities. St. Louis is an awesome mid-size city with its own issues, but an awesome history, culture, and tremendous potential.

This is coming from someone who grew up in Nashville and is currently living in Denver, which are 'It' cities right now. I will take St. Louis over Denver any day.

4 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

I am moving to St. Louis this summer in order to be a graduate student at SLU. St. Louis is by far my favorite city in the country, and its funny to me to see the locals own perception of the city. 

It's true that the city has an image problem. This image is largely created by the skewed statistics that the city/county divide produces. People outside of the city don't care to understand the crime statistics within the context of this divide. I also find it strange that St. Louis locals tend to compare the city to Chicago, S.F, L.A, etc., and then feel down on the city when it doesn't match up to those cities. St. Louis is an awesome mid-size city with its own issues, but an awesome history, culture, and tremendous potential.

This is coming from someone who grew up in Nashville and is currently living in Denver, which are 'It' cities right now. I will take St. Louis over Denver any day.

I like this guy.

23 minutes ago, 615Billiken said:

:wub: Really solid post. My hometown, Peoria, Illinois, has damn near the exact same problems as STL on a proportionate scale. This could have been written about Peoria. 

If I didn't live in Peoria, and had to choose anywhere else in the world to live, it would be St Louis. St Louis has some issues, but I really think the good way outweighs the bad. 

9 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

:wub: Really solid post. My hometown, Peoria, Illinois, has damn near the exact same problems as STL on a proportionate scale. This could have been written about Peoria. 

If I didn't live in Peoria, and had to choose anywhere else in the world to live, it would be St Louis. St Louis has some issues, but I really think the good way outweighs the bad. 

Is Ron's Rack still open?

I was listening to a podcast this morning on the city/county divide.  There are good arguments on both sides but the one massive negative that I can see is rarely discussed.  I see one party rule a disastrous.  Why would I want to codify and make permanent one party rule by adding at least 300,000 new voters to the party already in control by a fair margin in the county.  "Better together" is more like "better when we take you over so we can tell you what to do because we know better." 

6 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I was listening to a podcast this morning on the city/county divide.  There are good arguments on both sides but the one massive negative that I can see is rarely discussed.  I see one party rule a disastrous.  Why would I want to codify and make permanent one party rule by adding at least 300,000 new voters to the party already in control by a fair margin in the county.  "Better together" is more like "better when we take you over so we can tell you what to do because we know better." 

Better Together is a Rex Sinquefield and Bert Walker operation.  It isn't exactly a front for the Democrats.

42 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Which brings up a good point: How the hell have we been able to go so long in this thread without a post from Metz? ;)

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

I like this guy.

+1 from another person not from St. louis. I grew up in Jacksonville, DFW, and LA. Have also lived in Denver, OKC, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Have no intention of leaving St. Louis and love it here.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Better Together is a Rex Sinquefield and Bert Walker operation.  It isn't exactly a front for the Democrats.

In mentioning better together I was thinking of sentiment rather than that organization. The point stands however.  Race taxes crime and my own pet peeve nanny state control issues are all secondary concerns that will never be delt with once one party dominence in Saint Louis county is assured by adding the largest one party voting block in the state to the county voter rolls.  

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

+1 from another person not from St. louis. I grew up in Jacksonville, DFW, and LA. Have also lived in Denver, OKC, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Have no intention of leaving St. Louis and love it here.

Sign me up for jax.  Kayak fishing the inter coastal  beats any fishing in missouri

16 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

+1

4 hours ago, 615Billiken said:

Thank you for that post.  It actually put a smile on my face about my city.  Please post more.

Now that St. Louis has given soccer the middle finger, our chances of hosting even friendlies is fleeting. But HEY, the Nathan's Famous Hot Dog eating contest is coming to Busch Stadium on April 28.  That will rescue our locale's reputation as a progressive city.  What do you think, 40,000 weekend visitors spending cash inside the city's finest dining establishments?

8 hours ago, brianstl said:

8 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

The one party you refer the dems in the county? if so I don't think that's true. The city is where it's true and I think that would go away or at least be more competitive with a merger. It is hands down the biggest reason for what ill's us. No matter who wins or loses we need to bite the bullet and just declare on a new year's day " come next New year's the city and county are now all St Louis".

ah.....yeah......last republican county exec was Milford in 1991.  Last one elected was Mcnary first elected in 1975.  Anyone still remember these guys?  Yeah that's one party rule alright.  No way the city merging with the county makes anything more competitive.  No matter who wins and loses?  Seriously?  Go ahead and bite that bullet if you want to.  When it goes off and you lose the top of your head, don't come running to me.   

On 4/7/2017 at 5:30 PM, HoosierPal said:

Now that St. Louis has given soccer the middle finger, our chances of hosting even friendlies is fleeting. But HEY, the Nathan's Famous Hot Dog eating contest is coming to Busch Stadium on April 28.  That will rescue our locale's reputation as a progressive city.  What do you think, 40,000 weekend visitors spending cash inside the city's finest dining establishments?

I don't think the City gave soccer the middle finger.

Talk about drama.

MLS wouldn't have drawn 40000 weekend visitors either.