Voters could bring the MLS to St. Louis April 4th

bk18

28 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:
The St. Louis metropolitan area is the 20th largest in the United States with a population of 2.8 million. The bi-state metropolitan area includes seven counties in Missouri and eight in Illinois, for a total of 15 counties.
The largest crowd at Busch Stadium in the #1 baseball city, was a soccer match
There is the forgotten about Bosnian population as well.
There is no reason St. Louis should not have an MLS team with its large market. Some people don't realize how big STL will be for MLS. Maybe still butthurt from the Rams but for a city who has some of the best fans for Baseball and Hockey, being a soccer fan in what used to be soccer city USA wont be hard

Agreed. 

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Can you show me the return on investment for the money spent on the Zoo, Forest Park, Busch Stadium, etc ... Do any of these return any money on the tax payers investment?

Curious as to your opinion on the Zoo and Forest Park? Should the public fund them? Are you against all public funding of entertainment or just soccer because you don't like it?

Old guy is what we call 'out of touch' and is only interested in funding the things that are for him to begin with. He is out of touch and has no idea how public policy or public amenities work. None. He is clueless.

7 hours ago, cheeseman said:

So the 5 million SLU got for infra structure when building Chaifetz was a bad deal - the State does not get anything out of it?  

Told.

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:
The St. Louis metropolitan area is the 20th largest in the United States with a population of 2.8 million. The bi-state metropolitan area includes seven counties in Missouri and eight in Illinois, for a total of 15 counties.
There is no reason St. Louis should not have an MLS team with its large market. Some people don't realize how big STL will be for MLS. Maybe still butthurt from the Rams but for a city who has some of the best fans for Baseball and Hockey, being a soccer fan in what used to be soccer city USA wont be hard

Absolutely, 100% entirely correct. St Louis deserves better than the 'Old guy mentality'

Don't jump on Old guy too hard; after all, he is old.  However, he is dead wrong on this issue, especially his worry that the MLS won't be supported.  It is the league of the future in this country, just not much of a league for old guys who were never soccer fans to begin with.  

Hasn't soccer been the league of the future for more than a century?

St. Louis Soccer League (1907–39)

Stars (NASL) (1967–77)

Steamers (MISL) (1979–88)

Storm (MISL) (1989–92)

Ambush (NPSL) (1992–2000)

Steamers (WISL/MISL) (1998–2006)

Athletica (WPS) (2009–10)
AC St. Louis (NASL) (2010)

St. Louis Ambush (MISL/MASL) (2013–)
St. Louis FC (USL) (2015–)

31 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

BOLD prediction, in the next 50 years, concussion issue becomes greater and NFL starts to decline. Yes soccer is the league of the future in this country, we have the money, just need development programs

Concussions are also an issue in soccer

27 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

Stars (NASL) (1967–77)

Storm (MISL) (1989–92)

You are forgetting the Knights and the Frogs. 

Yes there was a team called the Frogs.

5 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Still peeved over the loss of the Hawks. :D

Atlanta is funny kind of city with ex-pats out numbering natives. Go to a Braves or Falcons games and the opposition has more fans. With its large immigrant population I think soccer will go over real well. I have tickets for opening day at the new Mercedes Benz Stadium (want to see the stadium-it's kind of unique) against Orlando City, I'll find out what kind of crowd they draw.

report back on this thread if you could.

5 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

This is a great sentiment however to cite the largest Busch stadium crowd as a soccer game as a way of making a point of how soccer crazy St. Louis is misguided. A one off soccer game including the best American players wearing the red white and blue is so very different than a pro soccer team playing home games every other weekend. That game also had its fair share of people traveling in for the game from out of town.

As far as the Bosnian population goes there's anecdotal evidence to show that they don't tend to support the pro soccer in St. Louis. The most recent edition of the Steamers was stocked with Bosnian talent and didn't get the community support. Instead they tend to support foreign teams or the amateur teams that come from their community.

St Louis is not a large market. 

That being said St. Louis will support an MLS team. I have no doubt in my mind. 

6 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Still peeved over the loss of the Hawks. :D

I have tickets for opening day at the new Mercedes Benz Stadium (want to see the stadium-it's kind of unique) against Orlando City, I'll find out what kind of crowd they draw.

The Atlanta United website says they have sold over 30,000 season tickets.  I'm guessing they open up the full stadium for your Opening Game and there will be over 60K there. Heck, they had 56K at the Dodd for the first game.  The MB will be rocking.

[I'm peeved that the Silva Bro's took the media % from their ABA brethern and dumped the Spirits of STL]. 

5 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Agreed

1 hour ago, juniorbill76 said:

Stars (NASL) (1967–77)

Storm (MISL) (1989–92)

None of those leagues are as established, or as high quality, as MLS is currently. 

8 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

This is a great sentiment however to cite the largest Busch stadium crowd as a soccer game as a way of making a point of how soccer crazy St. Louis is misguided. A one off soccer game including the best American players wearing the red white and blue is so very different than a pro soccer team playing home games every other weekend. That game also had its fair share of people traveling in for the game from out of town.

As far as the Bosnian population goes there's anecdotal evidence to show that they don't tend to support the pro soccer in St. Louis. The most recent edition of the Steamers was stocked with Bosnian talent and didn't get the community support. Instead they tend to support foreign teams or the amateur teams that come from their community.

St Louis is not a large market. 

That being said St. Louis will support an MLS team. I have no doubt in my mind. 

The Bosnians will show up for higher level outdoor soccer as opposed to the Steamers.  

Something to keep in the back of your mind, Vedad Ibisevic's current deal expires just in time for him to strike a deal for the inaugural season MLS season in St Louis.

16 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The Bosnians will show up for higher level outdoor soccer as opposed to the Steamers.  

Something to keep in the back of your mind, Veda's Ibisevic current deal expires just in time for him to strike a deal for the inaugural season MLS season in St Louis.

I've been saying for years Ibisevic would be a perfect signing for an STL MLS team.  If we could get him to sign for less than a DP contract, that would be perfect. MLS is (rightfully) stepping away from giving huge DP contracts to older players and is moving towards younger up and coming players- see what ATL is doing. Bosnia has a lot of good young attacking talent an STL team could look at. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Something to keep in the back of your mind, Veda's Ibisevic current deal expires just in time for him to strike a deal for the inaugural season MLS season in St Louis.

This would be ideal 

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

Like Disney said "Dream, dream, and your dreams will come true."  So let's all wish upon a star...

It would be nice if you cited any credible source other than your opinion.  Apparently the MLS believes that StL is a good bet since they have basically said build the stadium and you will get a team but I guess they don't know what they are talking about either.

A major flaw with the idea that the MLS is just dangling a carrot is that some pretty successful business men are investing their own money, about 75% of the cost of the stadium. Do you really think they will do that if they don't have a deal in place. Also, I'd assume we'd have firm commitment before building actually started.

14 hours ago, Soderball said:

Old guy is what we call 'out of touch' and is only interested in funding the things that are for him to begin with. He is out of touch and has no idea how public policy or public amenities work. None. He is clueless.

Told.

Absolutely, 100% entirely correct. St Louis deserves better than the 'Old guy mentality'

St Louis does deserve better. It deserves better roads and infrastructure. Better police. Better schools. But instead it is probably better to build a stadium to get a team in the 6th or 7th most popular league in the USA. Priorities, right? 

22 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

A major flaw with the idea that the MLS is just dangling a carrot is that some pretty successful business men are investing their own money, about 75% of the cost of the stadium. Do you really think they will do that if they don't have a deal in place. Also, I'd assume we'd have firm commitment before building actually started.

Most things I've read say the city is making up between 30-40% of the cost, which of course actually means 40%+. 

Owning any sort of pro sports team is mostly ego driven. The big game and trick is to get other people to finance their ego driven purchase as much as possible. Unfortunately too many cities will continue to play into the game. They'll have big shiny stadiums that get used 60 days a year, but roads crumbling that get used 365 days a year. 

I have not followed the MLS expansion much. Are they only going to expand by one team? I do know when we lived in Miami that David Beckham was involved (as a potential owner) and was trying to find a place to build a stadium. When we moved to the Gulf Coast late last year i can't remember if they had finally decided on a site. Seemed like they were looking at somewhere near the Marlins Stadium.

OT but soccer related; congrats to Billiken Alum Tim Ream for helping the USMNT capture 3 points Friday v Honduras.  Tim came on as an injury sub for John Brooks and played a solid 30 minutes.  His name wasn't mentioned much by the announcers, which is a good thing for a defenseman.  With Brooks out for Tuesday's match v Panama, might Tim get a starting nod? 

1 hour ago, Schasz said:

I have not followed the MLS expansion much. Are they only going to expand by one team? I do know when we lived in Miami that David Beckham was involved (as a potential owner) and was trying to find a place to build a stadium. When we moved to the Gulf Coast late last year i can't remember if they had finally decided on a site. Seemed like they were looking at somewhere near the Marlins Stadium.