The truth about Travis ford

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Schasz said:

Was wondering who the next OSU HC was going to be and saw they interviewed Doug Gottlieb. OK I get it that he played their and is a talking head on college hoops but with zero HC experience. 

They used a search firm who hired someone in-house. They are a complete disaster right now 

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

You actually make most people on this board wish that 05 would go on another of his  Zima induced bender posting sprees.  That is a hell of a lot better than some dude who claims to have deep insight into the Dominican basketball program while having no clue who Kwamain Mitchell is.

Please find somewhere where I said I didn't know who Kwamain is. If you don't want me to comment, stop bringing me up in bs threads. 

2 hours ago, jesstess2 said:

I am an Oklahoma State fan and as most of you know that was the last team he coached. I understand the St Louis is landing a ton of good recruits. He did the same at OSU. The only problem is that he can't coach. We had one of the most talented teams ever (3 NBA players) somehow we ended up as a 5 seed in a season we should of been a 1 or 2 seed. With 3 NBA players that is the least you would expect. As a 5 seed we expected to win a round. We were sadly upset by 12 seed Oregon. Actually we were blown out. I would later realize that the only reason we did halfway decent is because of the talent we had,  not because of our coach. You can have all the faith you want but at the end of the day he jus a recruiter and not a coach. I might also add that with the same team with 3 NBA players we were a 9 seed the next year.

Leave it to Soderball to bring out the fire:

"jesstess", you are worse than the Crews apologists on this board.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

im just really glad you as an OSU fan chose to come here because you can't handle that your shiny new coach decided  OSU wasnt worth it so you have to come here and talk . You are worse than GloryDays

Or = 2? Have we ever seen the 2 of them in the same place?

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Please find somewhere where I said I didn't know who Kwamain is. If you don't want me to comment, stop bringing me up in bs threads. 

You asked if a 5-11 guard was a liability on defense. You clearly never watched KM play. I've had at least 15 Zimas today so Take your ball and go home. 

What the....

Ford is obviously one of the better motivators in college basketball after taking a near talentless, 7 player team with 3 freshman and a walk-on, and got them 7 A10 wins when according to KenPom, they had a 20% (!!!) chance not to win a single conference game. If you can motivate such a bad team to get 12 wins, your a good coach to me. When we are still playing in one year, I'll make sure to go over to your board and complain about him

Brian is probably right - the poster is not from OSU and may very well be from Missouri.  Cudo's to Martin for not missing the bunny in getting Porter.  To be fair, Desmet Billiken is correct - our last coach was terrible at something he was suppose to be good at - so maybe Ford looked better than he really is at coaching next year will tell. But for now things are good at SLU.

56 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I absolutely agree with the first poster that Coach Ford's strength is recruiting.  There is no shame in being considered a weak coach in a league full of really good coaches.  Coach Ford should stay at the mid-major level were making the Dance 5 out of 8 years is appreciated.

Agree 3star, the reason for this is relatively simple:

Let's look at this from the point of view of the money earned by team playing in tournament, not necessarily winning the tournament. A team that makes the NCAA tournament regularly makes good money for the school. Each game they play in the tournament makes a $ M. It does not take a great number of games played per year to make the basketball team become a moneymaker for the athletic department, regardless of ticket sales (which will, of course, increase with a team going to the NCAA regularly). We do not have to win the NCAA championship, although it would be really nice to do it, to have a team that will meet and exceed the school financial, public image, and recruitment goals. We can do it with a team that goes to the NCAA regularly. Ford is good for that as a baseline expectation, and of course he has the capability to actually win the championship some day. How do you like them apples, particularly in comparison with JC.

An example of what I am saying is the stock market, you (as an investor/trader) do not have to win the top amount possible out of a trade (selling at the absolute top and or buying at the absolute bottom) to make a ton of money in the market, all you have to do is to keep your losses manageable and your wins fat. You can even lose more trades than you win if you make enough money in the trades you win overall.

If you look at a basketball team from that point of view, there is no way in the world that we can lose with Ford and what he is doing, we will be back into the reasonable (not the top) money making circle of schools before you know it. It pays to have reasonable goals, not unattainable ones (and when you get to win the unattainable prize much the better). You can really have a net win in any given season, even when you lose it, if you play at the NCAA tournament regularly, and if you focus upon the balance sheet. A question for all of you, anyone here does not think this type of financial analysis is likely to be an important part of May's or Pestello's thinking and planning?

The only reason I got on this St Louis Billikens message boards is to warn you! He will get some good recruits, but even when we had good recruits everyone wanted him gone!! Our donors payed millions for his buyout just so we could get a good coach. He was a terrible coach. Get your hopes up if you want.

12 minutes ago, jesstess2 said:

The only reason I got on this St Louis Billikens message boards is to warn you! He will get some good recruits, but even when we had good recruits everyone wanted him gone!! Our donors payed millions for his buyout just so we could get a good coach. He was a terrible coach. Get your hopes up if you want.

Thanks for the warning. And your "good coach" only wanted to stay in $tillwater for a year. :lol:

43 minutes ago, jesstess2 said:

Aren't you a great guy just wanting to save us from the bad coach. How about giving yourself the pat on the back you seem to crave so much.

1 hour ago, jesstess2 said:

You guys really hit the ball out of the park with your latest hire... 

1 hour ago, jesstess2 said:

Oops. 

2 hours ago, jesstess2 said:

Thanks for the warning, not.  Please go away now and enjoy the fruits that your unknown coach will bare.

It's Archie for sure. He's been able to demonstrate success in the tournament and sustain it through recruiting classes. Underwood is a good coach, but he accomplished at OSU what Ford would have this season as well, frankly. 5th in conference and a quick bounce from the NCAAs. All of the talent at OSU was from Ford. The only really difference was that Mitchell Solomon actually got better.

An OSU fan put that comment up on a message board in response to the question of "which is the better hire, Archie or Underwood?"