UMASS?

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Mack moving on is the only thing that makes sense right now to me.  I don't think he is in the running for the Hoyas job.

I'd tend to agree. X is his dream job, but would he go to Dayton? I know they're rivals, but going to UD would allow him to go back home to the Cincy area. What if it's Archie going somewhere?

2 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I'd tend to agree. X is his dream job, but would he go to Dayton? I know they're rivals, but going to UD would allow him to go back home to the Cincy area. What if it's Archie going somewhere?

I was actually wondering about Archie, too.  Something is up.  He took UMass off his twitter profile, but he hasn't put Winthrop back up. So I don't think he is pulling an Altman. 

Really interesting situation. I would imagine that Kelsey would've talked to Chris Mack at some point, being as he was the associate head coach at Xavier under him. I wonder if Mack told him that the UMASS job sucked or that he might take the Indiana job. 

Keep an eye on this.  Kelsey had a $1,000,000 buyout in his Memorandeum of Understanding from UMass.  Will he have to pay up for skipping town?

Bamford said the memorandum of understanding (the agreement that precedes a finalized contract) included language that states Kesley would owe UMass $1 million if he left within the first two years of the five-year deal. Bamford said he wasn’t sure how that would be resolved.

http://www.gazettenet.com/Umass-cancels-pat-Kelsey-press-conference-8870681

That $1 million is what makes me think Kelsey may have gotten an 11th-hour call from someone else. I guess we'll see. If it's just cold feet, this is a horrible move for his long-term career.

17 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Keep an eye on this.  Kelsey had a $1,000,000 buyout in his Memorandeum of Understanding from UMass.  Will he have to pay up for skipping town?

Bamford said the memorandum of understanding (the agreement that precedes a finalized contract) included language that states Kesley would owe UMass $1 million if he left within the first two years of the five-year deal. Bamford said he wasn’t sure how that would be resolved.

http://www.gazettenet.com/Umass-cancels-pat-Kelsey-press-conference-8870681

Depends on the form of the MOU and whether they intended to be legally bound by it upon signing. 

Edit: just read a story that some deal will likely need to be worked out for the $1mm buyout.  Could be an expensive change of heart for someone (Kelsey or his potential suitor).